“Tidy if you like golf - otherwise a bit boring”

Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Upscale golf club with meeting space. Everything is clean and works well but limited offerings beyond the golf. Fair walking trails. Adequate (but not more) pool indoor only (?). Banquet food is - well, banquet food; adequate but not interesting or imaginative.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear James P,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. We appreciate hearing from guests as it provides us with the necessary information to enhance the guest experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed our golf course, but do apologize that you found our banquet food and indoor pool less than satisfactory. It is our goal to not only meet, but exceed our guests’ expectations. We hope we have the opportunity to host you again in the future to improve upon your experience.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here for a conference.

Pros:

1) Free WiFi and very easy to log-in. No headache of going through a log-in portal etc. WiFi signal was excellent with good speeds.

2) Spacious room, comfortable bed, great tv, choice of channels, bathroom amenities etc.

3) Breakfast was very good everyday.

4) Friendly housekeeping staff.

Cons

1) Extremely limited choice for lunch and dinner, especially for vegetarians

2) Pricey

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear IndianGuardian,

It is always encouraging to receive positive feedback from our guests and we truly appreciate you sharing your comments with us and the TripAdvisor community! We are pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay including your guest room, its amenities and daily breakfast. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our housekeeping staff as they will be happy to know that they impacted your stay. I will also be sure to share your remarks regarding lunch and dinner vegetarian options with our culinary team. It is our goal to ensure that all guests’ needs are met. Again, thank you for the excellent review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My room overlooked the driving range and rooftop of convention center. Nice view, except for the rooftop..I was in room 456. Room was lovely and very comfy. AC unit worked great, but it was noisy. It actually worked out well- no hallway noise. Love the Kuerig in my room. Beautifully decorated..bathroom was not cleaned thoroughly ..found previous occupants used soap left on wall and body hair in the bottom of the bathtub...yuk!
Love the location....great place to walk from if you want to check out Duke's West Campus.
There is a very popular walking trail that circles the property. Perfect walk in the woods..I even came face to face with a grazing doe.
The golf course is beautiful and perfectly kept...looks challenging, but lovely at the same time..
Indoor pool, fitness center all are nice.
We especially enjoyed breakfast on the terrace in the morning...great way to start the day...

Room Tip: My room overlooked the driving range and rooftop of convention center. Nice view, except for the ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BBB2013
WaDuke, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear BBB2013,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club. We are pleased to hear that many aspects of your visit were positive, though we sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issues you encountered. Please be assured that this is not our standard of service and we have addressed this with the team appropriately. We have also addressed the issue of the noise from the AC unit in room 456. Unfortunately, the next guest might not find the same silver lining in the noise, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are very happy that the location with regards to Duke University and the Al Buehler trail around the property made your trip one to remember.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Beautiful property! Everyone was friendly, polite, and very helpful! Rooms are very nicely furnished; housekeeping staff is very efficient! The golf course is beautiful, as well as the grounds. Just a very relaxing place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear CJD101956,

Thank you for your gracious comments about the Inn. We are so very pleased to hear that every aspect of your stay was enjoyable and relaxing. From your interaction with our staff to the property’s amenities and accommodations, we are happy we had the opportunity to delight you. Whether business or leisure brings you back to Durham, we hope your stay includes the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club!

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I needed a night away but couldn't quite get out of town! We decided to keep our money local and the Washington Duke did not disappoint! The staff was lovely and kind, and our room service was delicious. We stayed in one of the newly renovated 5th floor rooms and loved it!
We enjoyed a drink on the terrace which really started our staycation off on the right foot. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jetsetmama14
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Jetsetmama14,

We are thrilled that you selected the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club for your recent “staycation” with your husband! It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed the service from our team, the enhancements to our guest accommodations and our in-room dining options. Also, thank you for sharing the lovely photo of the view from the terrace as you enjoyed your afternoon beverage. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn upon your next visit!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

At check out, they couldn't print an invoice. When I got my credit card statement, they double charged me for my room. When I disputed the charge, they came back to my credit card company and said it was a room service charge. They presented a lunch check for a meal about three hours after I had checked out of hotel for three people. I never ordered the meal. I wasn't on the premises and had checked out. It wasn't my signature. I was traveling by myself. After a couple of hours of my time, I'm still disputing sloppy, sloppy over charges. I would NOT recommend this hotel for anyone whose time is valuable. Customer service of the worst sort!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 199ANNE2014
WaDuke, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We sincerely apologize for the incidents you experienced during your recent visit and the frustrations this has caused you. I was pleased to find out that our accounting department has already been in contact with you directly and has since rectified this situation. Please know that we strive to provide excellent and timely service and these errors have been addressed with the team. We hope that you will consider us again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Alawson@wdigc.com

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Washington Duke Inn during an event I was planning at Duke University. The hotel is a short walk to Duke's campus. Southern charm exudes from all aspects of the hotel from the decor, staff, grounds.
I ate in all three restaurants:
- Fairview Dining Room - wonderful dinner, sat on the patio with views of the golf course
- Vista Restaurant - weekend brunch
- Bull Durham Bar - great food & fun ambiance for drinks.
There is a nice gym in the hotel, along with a gift shop and golf pro shop.
The guest rooms are generously sized and very comfy.
I appreciate the hotel taking such good care of the property. The hotel is in excellent condition. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear KristiK77,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Washington Duke Inn! Your kind remarks about our restaurants, amenities and Southern hospitality are greatly appreciated. We hope you will choose to stay with us again during you next visit to the University.