“Fine Hotel on the Edge of Campus”

Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Baltimore, Maryland
“Fine Hotel on the Edge of Campus”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

For visitors to Duke, this is a first-class hotel conveniently located right next to the west campus.

Service was excellent. The front desk and bell staff were welcoming and efficient.

Our room, while not luxurious, was very clean, comfortable, and well-appointed.

The breakfast buffet, included in some packages but not ours, was excellent and included many southern favorites.

For visitors to the University, you really can't go wrong here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ready2go410
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear ready2go410,

Your feedback means so much to us and we greatly appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club! We are elated that our team provided you with such wonderful service, and are happy to know that you enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms and the abundant breakfast buffet. And yes, we agree with you that our convenient location to campus is ideal for visitors to the university. Should your travels bring you back to Durham, we’d be honored to welcome you!

Director of Special Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you are in to modern as my husband and I are, this isn't your place. With that said, the hotel is superb in all other aspects. The staff is great, friendly and courteous. My only other criticism is that the bed spread had a big stain, but nobody touches that anyways, right? We were upgraded to a suite, so I can't really complain about the room. The restaurants and bars were good with great beer and food options.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennylin4
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Jennylin4,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Inn! While our old English country inn décor did not suit your fancy, we are pleased to hear that your stay was superb and you enjoyed the Southern hospitality offered by our wonderful staff. We do apologize for the oversight by housekeeping and will be sure to address the team appropriately. Again, thank you for your review and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We’d be honored to welcome you back soon!

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I graduated from Duke in 2012 and every time I come back for recruiting, I always stay at the WaDuke. Not only does it remind me of my time as a grad student, the food is great and the room decor is so southern! Enjoy a round of golf or just sit on the patio with a drink and watch the golfers on the putting green. The staff is so accommodating. On this particular trip, I took the red eye in from CA and they were able to get me into a room at 6:30am for a quick nap and shower before needing to be on campus at 8:30.

It's less than a 5 minute walk to the Fuqua School of Business or the Law/Policy school. It's about 10-15 if you need to get to Cameron Indoor stadium/campus student center.

I've stayed at the Millennium (don't! just don't. there was a shooting there while i was in school) and the Marriott downtown (they offer free valet for single women because they don't want female guests walking from the parking lot back to the hotel at night). If you really don't want to spend the money but need to be on campus consider the Dave Thomas Center or the new hotel they just opened by Station Nine apartments). But really, you should just stay at the WaDuke, enjoy the southern hospitality and lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear scstar2000,

We are honored to be such a fond memory of your time at Duke and to be your home away from home during your travels to the area. Our staff prides itself on guest-focused service, and it is great hear that we were able meet your needs and accommodate your early arrival. We appreciate your high praise of our beautiful golf course views, culinary delights of our dining venues, the Southern stylings of our guest rooms and our close proximity to Duke University. Thank you for the fantastic review of your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Washington Duke is a spectacular hotel with friendly Southern Charm and excellent service. The rooms are clean and well appointed with a nice desk and chair plus lounge chair. I have stayed at the hotel a number of times and the service and rooms are always nice. The chef is very good in the dining room and the Bull Durham Bar. The reception area is lovely with a large arrangement of flowers. If you go down the hall to the meeting rooms, there are interesting items of historical interest from the Duke family. Definitely the place to stay in Durham!

Room Tip: Both sides of hotel have lovely views--the golf course or love gardens in front of hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CeCe E
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear CeCe E,

We greatly appreciate the excellent review of your recent stay at the Inn! We are excited to welcome back return guests and are delighted that you have chosen us as the place to stay when visiting Durham. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff and your guest room, as well as the Fairview Dining Room and the Bull Durham Bar. The Inn’s décor complimented by Duke Family memorabilia truly makes this a unique place for guests to explore, and we are glad you had the opportunity to do so. We hope your next stay with us is just as pleasant as your last!

Tryon, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was given a stay at this hotel and dinner for two for my birthday by my son. He has friends and colleagues that work at the Conference Center of the Inn. We arrived to check in and found that our room had been upgraded to a suite. The room was lovely, and very elegant. Everything in the room was immaculate. The staff at the hotel was very professional but also friendly and welcoming. We went out to look around the Duke campus, and came back very hot and sweaty, only to find an ice cold bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries for my birthday. Our dinner for two was terrific. All the food was expertly made and quite delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in the Durham area. If you want to be well taken care of and pampered, stay here! If your company wants to plan a meeting or conference, do it here, they handle all the little things as well as the big things!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor in a "Jr Suite" with a view of the golf course. We never heard...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kathryn A,

We are so pleased that you had a wonderful birthday getaway at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club! It is wonderful to know that every aspect of your stay was superb. We are so happy you enjoyed the comfort of your suite, your dinner in the Fairview Dining Room and the strawberries and champagne that greeted you upon your return from campus. It was an honor to make this special visit even more memorable for you. Thank you for the stellar recommendation. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Rockville
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was at this hotel for a meeting and am quite impressed in every respect. My room was large and comfortable with good seating, good desk, good wifi, a very well appointed bathroom (with great shower), and lots of storage space. A Keurig coffee maker is heads and shoulders about what one finds in most hotels. The lobby and seating areas were comfortable and extensive. Nice bar and good restaurant. There seem to be lovely grounds, but I did not get to use them due to my meeting. And without a car, one is really "stuck" here since the hotel is rather isolated.

I'll add that the meeting space and catering was also excellent. Finally, the fitness room is very good with lots of machines and very well done.

In all ways, this is a class hotel that I'd return to any time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Fishperson,

There is no greater compliment than to hear from our guests that their stays have been enjoyable! We are delighted to hear that your room and its amenities were to your liking, and we greatly appreciate your kind remarks about the Bull Durham Bar, Fairview Dining Room, Fitness Center and the Executive Conference Center. If your business travels bring you back to the Inn, we hope you have an opportunity to enjoy our beautiful grounds and picturesque setting. Again, thank you for sharing your experience!

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Okay first this hotel has the best service I have ever had. Everyone is super nice and go way beyond most hotels. We had a nice room overlooking golf course. The AC was awesome since it was very hot while we there. It was the US Open and they were very busy but always fast and quick with anything you needed. The WiFI was super fast and was great for working.
Now bad things sorry I am picky! We had lunch at the bar order salad and a crab cake my husband had a burger. I had to ask for my salad which they bought later with my meal. I had ask the manager and he bought out another one which they did not charge for. They were not dressed well barely tasted the dressing. The Crab Cake was awesome and my husband loved the hamburger. We had room service that night and I ordered the yellowfin tuna with soba noodles which was bland and had no taste what so ever. They did bring me a hamburger after I called and took the tuna off my bill. My husband had the strip steak which he said was excellent! Breakfast is okay
My bed had a hole in it so not a new mattress!
This hotel does not have a spa but they do have someone who comes to your room to give you a message. It was a good price for 90 min. only 150 which is great for 90 min.
Breakfast

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WashingtonDukeInn, Director of Special Services at Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear great-taste50,

Our staff aims to provide personalized service to each of our guests and we are happy to hear our efforts were well received! While we are pleased that you enjoyed the views from your guest room, Wi-Fi and the level of service from our staff, we apologize that your entire stay did not exceed your expectations. We will be sure to share your feedback with our housekeeping, restaurant and culinary teams so that we may make the necessary improvements. We do very much hope you will consider staying with us again.