“Filthy, didn't stay longer than 5 minutes”

Red Roof Inn Durham Triangle Park
Ranked #48 of 71 Hotels in Durham
“Filthy, didn't stay longer than 5 minutes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I felt confident in booking this hotel room since all of the reviews were pretty great, however, my experience was not the same. The gentleman at the front desk was great, the rooms themselves were a completely different story. The first room we were in wasn't too bad as far as cleanliness goes, but the lock was broke and we couldn't shut the door. The second room is what really had me running for the hills. Upon entering it had a funky smell, I then pulled back the comforter to find a quarter sized cigarette burn in the blanket. The floors were sticky and I could see dirty footprints from the last person that stayed. Worst of all, there were 2 large black hairs in our bathroom sink and I could see the filth around the sink that hadn't been touched. We immediately cancelled our reservation and went to a different hotel down the street. If you are a female staying alone in a hotel, do not stay here by yourself, the other people staying in the hotel were sketchy.

Room Tip: Spend the extra 10-20$ and get a safer/cleaner hotel down the road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RheaAnn C
M Foster U, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Triangle Park, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention and for your review. We strive to in providing our guest with clean, comfortable, accommodations. It is very disheartening to learn that we did not provide that during your recent stay in Durham. I will discuss this review with all of my staff to make sure these issues are addressed. Please accept my apologies and I hope you will give us another chance should your travels bring you back to the Durham area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Port Washington, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I got an excellent rate here (needed a place overnight before early flight out of RDU, 5 miles away), but not much for my money. The room had very few amenities--no shampoo, no fridge or microwave (and there's no microwave you can use anywhere in the lobby either! The clerk suggested I go to a gas station down the road!) and no coffee maker or way to heat any water up. The bed was comfortable enough, and the TV was nice (with a great selection of channels)... wifi worked OK. The main thing I would complain about was the smell--not only did the whole room smell vaguely of cigarettes (in a "100 percent nonsmoking" motel) but the area near the bathroom smelled like feces. This was absolutely revolting every time I approached the bathroom. I only spent about 6 hours in this room but really couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank flyermontana
Thank you for your review. My regrets for the problems that you encountered during your stay in Durham. I will review your comments with the housekeeping staff so this does not happen again in the future.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

i haven't stayed at a Red Roof Inn in years. Thought the chain has gone down hill. this location may change my mind. The King upgraded room for $65/night had hard wood floors and a very nice TV and desk work space. bed was comfortable and the hard wood floors were nice. i was stuck there the night of the blizzard barely making it off the highway to this place. several restaurants close by (all closed due to the blizzard). convenient location. i will stay hear again if in the area.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded King room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

The rate and 15-minute drive to the Duke Clinic make this a very viable option to anyone who needs to use those medical facilities (my good wishes for recovery are with you!). It's by no means a luxury hotel, but it does the trick with no muss, no fuss. Just a few things to have in mind:
Coffee available in tiny lobby to take out - companion suprised by how good it was.
I left my purse behind and they very efficiently and nicely called our listed number to alert me. Very, very nice and honest of them.
Our companion's room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, so if you have respiratory issues, be sure to stress a no-smoking room.
Reading lights are quite bright so if you're a reader and want to spare your companion, pack a book light or eReader.
No interior corridors, so it's a long and chilly walk to the front desk - ask for what you need before you head for your room.
3 pillows on our King bed, so if you like to prop up, bring your own or ask for a 4th before heading to your room.
Tiny lobby is tucked away under the near corner of the building as you enter the lot from 55. Easy to miss.
Rooms not fully carpeted so best to pack slippers.

Room Tip: Rooms have outdoor corridors. On cold night, pick one close to elevator or stairs.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
M Foster U, Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Triangle Park, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank-you for your great comments.. The entire staff takes pride on being able to go the extra mile for our guests. I will pass along your great comments to the team. Please visit us again when you are in the area.
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Went to see a Duke game in Durham and was very pleased with the accommodation @ the RRI. The price was right. It had been completely remodeled and all brand new. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Close to grocery stores and walmart. We will be back for the next Duke game we attend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rnb6969
Thank-you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I will forward your great comments to my staff. We pride ourselves on providing great customer service.
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

The 2 ladies named above made this Red Roof Inn visit special!

Tasia was especially friendly when I signed into the hotel. I was especially tired on arrival; however Tasia's friendly and efficient sign-in assistance made my fatigue go away. She assigned me a really clean room in a quite location on the first floor. Even though I was tired, I enjoyed learning about her family; she adores her husband and loves her 3 children. This kind of talk always makes me feel great. I had a big smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart when I left for my room. Thank you Tasia!

Nicky signed me out from the hotel on the following morning. She was especially friendly and concerned that I enjoyed my stay. (A customer can always tell when the agent is sincere and Nicky was sincere. I could see it in her eyes.) I noticed on Nicky's business card that her current title is "Interim Manager". My advise is that her promotion should be made a priority because it is obvious that she knows her job extremely well and sails a very good / tight ship.

When I got to my destination, I realized that I had forgotten to pack a charger for my Samsung tablet that I practically can not live without. Nicky has been most supportive for having returned to me. Thank you Nicky!

Whenever I am returning to VA from FL, the RRI at RTP is always my first choice!

Room Tip: Rooms on the "back side", away from Rt 55 are quieter. Because of my age, I like the firs...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Rochester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our son and family live in Durham and we try to visit them 3-4 times a year so it is important for us to have a quality motel at a fair price.The Red Roof in Durham meets all of that.It has recently been updated the staff is very friendly and extremely helpful and the motel is very close to were our son lives and easy access to Interstate 40.Steve at the front desk alway has a smile and is willing to help us out anytime.I would recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
M Foster U, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Triangle Park, responded to this review, 20 January 2014