“Always Excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 103 Restaurants in Elizabeth City
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Sidney's Cafe & Bistro is located along the beautiful shore of Elizabeth City harbor, just 2 blocks north on E. Main St. We serve fresh homemade fare that is both, health conscious and delicious. Our hearty breakfasts and lunches are made with only the finest and freshest ingredients with daily homemade soups being a local favorite. Sidney's Cafe & Bistro creates uniquely satisfying salads, sandwiches and daily specials to satisfy a variety of palates. And of course, we can't forget to mention our famous Cheesy Bacon Meatloaf Sandwiches and our fresh baked Tuna Salad Melts. Come join us for breakfast, lunch, light snack or for dinner on Thursday, Friday or Saturday! You can even enjoy our fresh brewed coffee, cappucinos or a glass of wine, as you breathe in our small town friendly atmosphere!
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Always Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I really like restaurants that I visit often to have consistency. This one does it well. It's easily the best breakfast in Elizabeth City and it's quite close to the public boat docking so it's a short pleasant walk. Be sure to tell your server if you are not from town because the restaurant will be packed with locals that can welcome you or direct you to whatever you are going to need. They serve dinner Thursday and Friday nights and it has a nice romantic date night kind of feel with fresh flowers on the table and softer lighting. This is another restaurant where the owner is almost always there. I would highly recommend it for a nice dinner before a show at the Arts of the Albemarle which is across the street.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thanks for you words and yes consistent food is our goal! The restaurant does take on a different vibe for dinner. Our dinner numbers are growing but we would like to get more of the word out. Thanks for helping us do that.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Food was very good. Crabcake in sandwich was tasty. Homemade chips excellent. Summer salad was a good meal with a very good combination of flavors. Almond cake for dessert was excellent.
They were very busy at Saturday lunch, so service was slower than expected. But the food was worth the wait.

1 Thank Paul_from_VA
Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed you lunch and yes when we are busy like Saturday it does take our small kitchen a bit longer to get everyone served. Thanks for choosing Sidney's and we hope to see you in the future.
Ottawa, Canada
“Above Average?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fresh food, pleasant staff, but overall the food was bland.

My 3 year old son enjoyed colouring on the paper tablecloth, and the 2 servers working stopped by to chat throughout our stay.

We ordered off the children's menu for our son (hotdog and fruit) and I had a chicken wrap, my husband a chicken sandwich. Both seemed to be made fresh with fresh ingredients but both remained a little bland. My husband was looking forward to the brie in his sandwich, but when it arrived it took a lot of searching to locate it.

Washrooms are outside the restaurant (but within the larger building) and down the hall. You have to walk with a key, and they're pretty dismal. Garbage was overflowing in the one I visited and I'm not sure it had been cleaned recently.

While waiting for our food I saw a mouse run along the floor just beside the counter and run behind it into the kitchen area. I didn't say anything, nor do I think it's a huge deal. I'm sure most businesses have (or have had) the same problem or worse, but it didn't make for great thoughts while waiting to eat.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it, but nor would I tell someone to steer clear.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank J N
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback. Unfortunately for us, the bathrooms are for the entire building, but I can assure you we have them cleaned regularly..Also we do have a monthly inspection with a pest service as well. This is a very old building and with it comes these types of issues. I will definitely address you food concerns, and hope if you are ever in the area, allow me to do something for your past experience.

Thanks,
Karen
Elizabeth City, NC
“They need more menu options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went there for dinner the other night and were disappointed that there were no gluten free dinner options. We both had to order salads and add grilled chicken. Every offering had either pasta, or was fired with some type of "breading" that neither of us can consume. Some meat/fish/chicken items + vegetable and salad options would be nice, as we would like to be able to frequent the restaurant. Many salads also contained "beans' and some of us do not eat those either. The wait staff was friendly, but too many people interrupted our conversation just "check and see we were ok".... very annoying.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Sorry you were disappointed in our selection. We are a Very small kitchen, and I tell my staff if we have customers with special request, we will try to accomodate, but it is a very small Common Kitchen, and I would never want to mislead anyone thinking otherwise. We serve poached chicken, shrimp, as well as a number of proteins. The only thing we fry is , French fries, bistro chips, and a few specialty items. If only we had a bigger kitchen, as the six burner behind the counter is all we have. Thanks so much for your feedback, and will do our best to accomodate
Alexandria
“Small and rather quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The manager (I have forgotten her name) was amazing! Pleasant and very accommodating. The food was good. I was disappointed that one of the specials was sold out at 6:00 p.m. It was an eggplant dish. We had crab cakes, which were very good and the Tuscan chicken special. The butter cream berry cake was "to die for!"

Visited July 2014
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for dining at Sidney's. Sorry you missed out on the eggplant Parmesan, but being a small bistro we only prep a handful of any special. This adds to our ability to have variety and keep the specials fresh. Like us on Facebook and get our daily specials at you fingertips.
Glad you enjoyed the triple berry cake! Hope to see you soon.