“Not a sushi eater, but this is a welcome addition to our local restaurant scene”

Toyama Japanese Restaurant
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I don't eat raw fish. Sorry. But I have friends who like sushi, and I go with them. I love the fact that they have a full menu of very good cooked items for us unenlightened cretins.

The owner is a very nice lady, and her staff is the best. The service is excellent. The waitstaff remembers me, and exactly what kind of beer I want. My wife is intimidated by chopsticks, and they gladly accommodate her with silverware. If we need anything, they are on it immediately. The atmosphere is cozy, with a floorspace able to accommodate maybe 45 diners. The "bar scene" is inapplicable here, as there is no separate bar area. (I hit the rating bar by mistake, and couldn't totally erase it.)

I've had both the beef and chicken teriyaki, the crispy beef, the sweet and sour pork, and chicken/shrimp/vegetable tempura. All come with salad with ginger dressing and miso soup. Everything is tasty and well-prepared.

This place is a welcome injection of a diverse cuisine into the downtown scene. It's also important (and worthy of commendation) that they support our downtown merchants' association by offering discounts, etc. Give them a try.

1  Thank weeksvillejoe

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Who would have thought that a town this size would have such a great sushi place? It's been here for years and it draws quite a crowd for good reason.

Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

I must say this is my favorite place to eat in Elizabeth City. The food and service is always excellent. This is real Jananeese food. Don't miss this place if you are in the area

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We are from out of town, with family in EC and this is always a stop for us on a visit- GREAT food, and super nice people. As good as any sushi we have had anywhere else-

Reviewed 19 December 2012

You wouldn't expect to find good sushi in a little place like Elizabeth City, but this is one of the best places we have found to eat sushi...anywhere. The wait staff is wonderful and the menu is clearly labled so you know if you are getting cooked or uncooked items. The yakamishi (sp)/ fried rice is wonderful. It is our go-to date night restaurant.