“Somewhere you can count on”
Review of Hong Kong Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hong Kong Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Norfolk, VA
“Somewhere you can count on”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I've been going through Elizabeth City to visit family since 1997 and have been going to see Mr. and Mrs. Wong for year. It was part of the trip until my father passed and I haven't been there as often. I drive from Virginia Beach to get the real deal on chicken chow mein and my entire family loves to join us for the ride and meal. It's been a real pleasure to enjoy meals at this restaurant and for many years watch their children grow up as well. May God bless you both and I hope to see you soon.
Tina

• Visited July 2012

Tampa Bay
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This restaurant has been in business for at least the 26 years that I have had a home in the rural area so it must be doing something right, but you couldn't prove it by me. I made my first visit and it will likely be my last. Ordinarily I might give a restaurant a second chance, but the food was so bad that I'll make an exception. My large party ordered a variety of items and no one was happy. The beef dishes were covered in thick gravy to the point that it was difficult to determine which dish was which, and the meat was tough. Even the house specialties of orange beef and Mongolian beef failed. The orange beef was small pieces of inedible meat encased in a thick dough and the inevitable gravy. The "hot" dishes contained ordinary flakes of red pepper and no discernible pepper. One chicken dish had a large piece of bone and the chicken dishes seemed to be prepared with only dark meat. The hot and sour soup was a gelatinous mess containing only shredded chicken. All of the dishes needed soy sauce to have any flavor. I've eaten in plenty of Chinese restaurants for comparison purposes. It's difficult to make this review since the proprietors are very lovely people and service was impeccable, but I don't want anyone else to be as disappointed as I and my group were.

Visited July 2012
Carolina beach, nc
“Best Chinese in EC.”
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

We mistakenly passed this place up for the first few months we lived here, choosing the flashy and terrible Dragon Buffet across the street instead. We finally tried it one night and will never go back! It's the real deal. Super fresh and yummy. Atmosphere is lacking, but the hospitality of the owner more than makes up for it.

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“Nice Asian dinner buffet & menu”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Very friendly proprietor. Orders off the menu came out with huge proportions. My son had the buffet and pronounced it excellent. Food was tasty.

Visited April 2012
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Chinese Food in Elizbabeth City!”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

The Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant is the only family-owned and operated Chinese restaurant in town, and they have the best Chinese food in Elizabeth City, hands down. Mr. and Mrs. Wong are so friendly and greet you the moment you step in. My family and I have been going there for years. They treat us like family there. Their egg rolls and black bean chicken are fantastic! They grow a lot of their own vegetables, so freshness is a guarantee. It's one of the few places where my kids will eat their veggies happily. Plus, Mrs. Wong makes delicious lemon cake.

1 Thank MollyW30