“OK stop over”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Elizabeth City
Maryland
“OK stop over”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I read reviews before booking and understood it was a good stop over to sleep on our way to the outerbanks. I liked being able to walk directly into our room from the car and not have to climb stairs. I also liked parking the car directly outside of our room to keep an eye on it. When we first pulled up we were nervous and wished we booked in a better location as people were "hanging out" outside the hotel. We had a full truck and hoped for the best. The room was perfect. It was clean, there was a fridge and microwave and coffee pot. I was overall happy except very suprised when checking in to the hotel the night clerk made an imprint of my credit card to keep on file. Today it was confirmed that this imprint is in their file "forever". I don't like my details out there floating around and it sat on the counter until I asked for it to be filed. This is a potential way for details to be stolen as we have had on 3 occassions and therefore I am always thinking of potential future compromise. I wrote the econolodge and called. I am told this cannot change. So if they changed this process, I would stay again, but if not.... Fairfield next year.

Room Tip: Good for the price.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank calgonred

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I was directed to this place by a Hotels.com phone advisor...BIG mistake.

1. Check-in: the clerk had his snack and drink on the roughly 18-inch wide opening that I had to use...he removed them but left residue and a dirty napkin in the space the entire time I was registering. Hotels.com told me the room was non-smoking...the clerk said it was smoking...I said I refused to stay in a smoking room, so he said that he switched me to a non-smoking room...but it was still a smoking room! AWFUL SERVICE.

2. Room: dirty, worn-out. The large chair had all sorts of stains, the leather desk chair had a large rip in the back, the shower room had a vent grate that was choked with crap, there was a discarded can lid sitting right in the middle of the floor. The next morning I walked by the maid's crash-cart and EVERY POCKET was blackened with mildew -- DISGUSTING.

3. Facilities -- we needed to conduct laundry, but the laundry facility was completely inoperable.

4. Location -- fairly convenient near the highway, but cars were coming and going all throughout the night and there were conversations going on outside all throughout the night. Probably criminal activity.

5. It wasn't cheap...I paid the same amount for two other hotels on our trip and both were very well-maintained (although older)...this place was a DUMP.

Please, for the love of Pete, DON'T GO HERE!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TomKzoo
north carlolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed here so we could visit the outerbanks for a couple days. We were in the end room on the corner. We got back from the OB at 9:00 a night and there were guys and a girl hanging out on the sidewalk by our room. They were staying 2 doors down from us. Was very nervous about all of the cars coming and leaving at that room. Am sure it was drug dealing and prostitution going on cause they were all gone at 6:00 the next morning. Opened our door one time to get something out of our car and there were 2 guys and a girl standing in front of our door and I could smell weed. The first night we were there, we were unloading our car and a guy came out of nowhere and was trying to get a conversation started and wanted cigarettes. It scared me so bad that I went in and called the desk. The guy at the desk said he was firmilar with him and he thought he was homeless. My husband had to close the door in his face to get away from him. Will never stay there again and would NOT recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank l0vingMexic0
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

So it is the econo lodge, one can not go into it expecting a lot. The room was clean and the right price. We stayed here as a stop over on our way to Duck. It was a good stopping point. The ac was very noisy as is usually the case at places like this. It was easy to find and I would stay again if I needed a stopping point before check in again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Nice clean room in a convenient location. Walls were a little thin, could hear talking from outside. Continental breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012
Edenton, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Econo Lodge in Elizabeth City, NC is in a great central location to about any store or restaurant you would want to go to in the area! Not too far from the local colleges either! They have clean rooms and great friendly staff, fro a price that is very reasonable!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Charlotte NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

If you require drug dealers loud bass and a just plain dangerous area, this hotel is for you. Breakfast is the weakest around and you have to be buzzed into the "lobby".

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business