“good lunch”

Plaza Azteca
Ranked #23 of 106 Restaurants in Elizabeth City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I went here yesterday as we were out of town visiting family. This place hasn't been open long. The building itself is just gorgeous inside. Probably the nicest in town. Lunch was great as was the service. Definitely will return again!

1  Thank chupakilldevilhills
There are newer reviews for Plaza Azteca

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stopped here one evening to check out the new place in town. Hostess was great at greeting and seating us. We sat at our table about 10 minutes before anyone ever approached us for drinks or chips & salsa. We were about to leave when a server came by and asked if anyone has stopped at our table. We replied No of course. Let me say many people walked by us during that 10 mins & could see we had no drinks or chips. At that point our server was on it, getting our orders, refills etc. Our dinners arrived and they were not what we are use to when it comes to Mexican food. It is def. more "TexMex" type food. The "red" sauce that was on my daughter's burritos tasted more like it was a spaghetti sauce and should have been on pasta. We had to ask them to take the sauce off, which they did happily. My dish was ok, just ok nothing to write home about. My husband said his was ok but he preferred 3 Amigos version here in town much more. The prices are higher than our other Mexican restaurant and not as good. So it is a very simple decision for us to go 1 mile farther up the street and eat at the "other" mexican restaurant. Plaza Azteca's food just tasted as if everything came out of a can. Not what I wanted to pay for. If you are traveling through EC and just off the bypass the first restaurant you come to is Plaza Azteca just pass on by to the next one, it will be worth the extra mile. That is just my opinion and my advice to the travelers in EC if they want better mexican food for a lower price.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Plaza Azteca is Elizabeth City's newest addition to the town's curiously ever-expanding mexican restaurant scene. The interior is open and bright, and we were greeted then seated as soon as we stepped in. There was much to choose from on the menu, and it was fairly well-laid out so as to find a little something for everyone. While we decided, our waiter brought us a basket of chips and a ramekin of red salsa. Bluntly stated, the chips were not as good as you can get at any of the at least three other restaurants in town but moreover, the salsa is apparently poured into the metal ramekins at some earlier point in time, then stuck in a fridge to await service. This not only results in a settling of the salsa (not a big deal if you don't mind the watery bits on top) but sometimes gives the salsa a tinny after-taste; now I know why most places store the stuff in glass containers. But the meals themselves arrived piping hot, and there was plenty of food even from the lunch specials. Our chicken was shredded and tender, and the sides were fine although the rice a bit dry. Overall it was not a bad experience, but with so many other excellent places to choose from literally right down the road, we probably won't go back any time soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The newest Mexican Restaurant in Elizabeth City has a lot going for it. The decor is very nice and the staff is pleasant and attentive. However, there are several misses. The first time I was there I was served a half a glass of Sangria with no fruit and no ice and unfortunately it was not very good. The second time I had a very discounted Margarita and it was just fine. The Mexican beer was fine both times. The chips are tasty but the salsa is inconsistent.
One of us had the chicken and spinach enchiladas and they were a hit. Once of us had the shrimp tacos and they were a definite miss.They had absolutely no flavor! And this in an area that is noted for excellent shrimp. The taco was absolutely coated with a thick layer of melted cheese. Inside the taco was one or two shrimp and little garnish and no flavor. There also was no sauce to add to the taco to make it more tasty. It was more like a grilled cheese taco than a shrimp taco. The rice studded with corn kernels was good.
With a the wide assortment of Mexican restaurants in the area I'm not sure that I will be returning.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We used to go to the Plaza Azteca in Williamsburg quite a lot when we lived there and were thrilled when the Elizabeth City location was announced.

The décor of the restaurant is very nice. Our waiter could have used a bit more training as he never introduced himself and seemed to be quite "harried". The waiter took our drink orders and was not seen again for about 15 minutes which is a long time. We also could not see him to wave him down anywhere in the restaurant. After finishing our main courses we had to ask the manager for our bill as our waiter was nonresistant again.

The food was good and plentiful. Our appetizer arrived on a broiler plate that was still very hot to the touch even after we were done eating it. The busboy almost dropped the plate when he tried to clear the table. It has to be noted that we found the salsa that came with the chips was very watery as if it had not been stirred for awhile.

The main course were very good but with room for improvement as time goes by. We are sure this Plaza Azteca location will be as good or even better than the we used to go to.