“Accommodations were excellent! Very clean and well maintained!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabeth City
Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Holly and Melanie are great host to their guest!

Presentation was delightful and fresh every day!

The breakfast was a treat every morning! Fresh foods from local farmers served daily. Yummy!

The local art displayed in the house was breath taking, such talented artist and for sale.

Holly and Melanie are strong supporters of their Community.

Great experience!

Karen

• Stayed: April 2013
Culpepper I, Owner at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

I am especially pleased you enjoyed the local art. We are so proud of our local talent and consider it such a privilege to support their work. Can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed at the Culpepper Inn while in Elizabeth City on business and would highly recommend it to anybody. Holly, the proprietor, is very friendly and welcoming. She did all she could to make my stay comfortable and pleasant. The Culpepper Inn is located in a quiet historical neighborhood conveniently located near restaurants and other amenities. The rooms are spotlessly clean, the beds are very comfortable, and the Inn is beautifully decorated. As a business traveler, I found the Culpepper to be a wonderfully relaxing and superior alternative to a standard hotel. All in all I would say that this was a wonderful place to stay and I would totally recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Culpepper I, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

We are so flattered by your kind words especialy since your work requires you to travel so often. I hope you are enjoying England and we look forward to your return. Guests like you make our vocation such a joy.

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

On our journey visiting coastal towns of North Carolina in search of a place to relocate to, we booked a one night stay at the Culpepper Inn, Elizabeth City. Holly greated us warmly and explained the history of the property - she was very knowledgeable about the area and local offerings. She kindly insisted on making our dinner reservations that night. We chose one of her recommended restaurants - Cypress Creek Grill. When we got to the restaurant - they were expecting us and treated is like gold! The food was excellent! We had 2 waitresses waiting on us and the owner paid us a visit as well!
Holly truly exemplifies the "Harbour of Hospitality"!! She made us an incredible breakfast the next morning! The house is immaculate and decorated beautifully! Our room was very comfortabe! We wished we were there longer! We will be back (with friends!!) to take advantage of the special events there and especially look forward to possibly attending some of the "local music by the pool " that the Culpepper Hosts! We highly recommend this place! You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: February 2013

The music season has started and we are also hopeful you can join us for one. Check our facebook page to see the schedule as we post it. Thank you so very much for your kind words. It was truly our pleasure to host you!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was stranded at the airport because of weather at my destination. Airport manager made the reservation for me and at first was leery of a B&B as I had never stayed at one. Upon arrival, was very warmly greeted by Holly. After explaining that I had not eaten dinner, she quickly enlisted her daughter's boyfriend who graciously took me to eat. I could not believe that they would go out of their way to do this. The room was wonderful and even though they had me over a barrel, was very reasonably priced. I left with a hug and a smile. I will be back with my wife for more of this wonderful hospitality. I am sold on the value of a B&B. Hope all of them are like this.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Culpepper I, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Yes, the B&B's in Elizabeth City are a wonderful alternative and I am so pleased you chose us as your first! We look forward to hosting your family on your next trip to the, "Harbor of Hospitality". Scott Hinton is a wonderful airport manager and is always willing to go out of his way to assist visitors. Thanks for choosing The Culpepper Inn. It was truly our pleasure to host you.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Culpepper Inn is a beautyful Bed & Breakfast , nesteled in the silence of the residential aerea of Elizabeth City. Great garden and pool. Each room decorated individualy. Outstanding breakfast prepared to perfection by Holly - the Inn keeper. The perfect place to relax and to feel well.
Great atmosphere !
Just an advice for business men - Go there instead to book the boring standards .
Klaus Weyers, Cologne Germany

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house. Here you can enjoy the full flavour of the atmosphere.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ummk
HollyKEcity, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

I am so very pleased you were able to include the Culpepper Inn in your vacation plans to the United States. Your family provided me great insight in to what travelers are looking for. I truly appreciate that. You made hosting you an absolute pleasure. I hope your beach stay was delightful and family enriching. I look forward to your return whenever the opportunity arises. Thank you so much for choosing us and for taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We came to Elizabeth City to attend my son's graduation from Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer School. I've really enjoyed staying in bed and breakfasts and the Culpepper continued the tradition of thoroughly enjoyable lodging while away from home.

The grounds were lovely with massive oaks and magnolias adorning the front lawn. Inside, the living areas were a classic potpurri of era furniture with modern photography and decor. Breakfasts were taken in the sun room off the living room which led to the backyard with swimming pool, koi pond, "gazebo tents," and more beautiful trees on the periphery.

We stayed in the Carriage House Suite over what was once the garage but has since been converted into the Tavern Room (more on that later). Our room was swathed from top to bottom in tongue and grove wood lapboard... somewhat rustic but the way we like it. Our friends stayed in the main house in the classic Crown Room with four-poster bed, pastel colors, hardwood floor and intricately tiled bathroom, which they loved, but they liked our Carraige House Suite better! Our bed (and our friends' as well) was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in; no tossing or turning, no back pain and I felt completely refreshed.

Because of early time constraints, we were only able to eat breakfast once of the three days we were there. Breakfast is from 8:00 to 10:00. Holly alternates her breakfasts from "sweet to savory" every other day so we experienced the sweet which was a French toast dish. It was very good but I regret not getting to try the "savory" breakfast. Holly was nice enough to recommend a bistro in nearby downtown that allowed us to attend the early commencement ceremony. Ditto our departure morning which entailed a lengthy drive to Norfolk to catch our flight.

The Tavern Room... what a great facility! It was set up as a small bar with the requisite barstools, and a large wrap-around booth with table. It had a refridgerator/freezer, wine cooler, popcorn maker, microwave, and wine glasses. They don't have a liquor license so it was strictly BYOB, but it was open 24/7 to guests. We wound up spending our evenings here, relaxing after the day's events and sipping wine. What a great venue!

Overall, the Culpepper Inn was a great destination and we'd all stay here again... although we might have to toss a coin to see who gets the Carriage House Suite.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joe M
HollyKEcity, Owner at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

What a lovely description of your stay. I can assure you it was absolutely our pleasure to host all of you and we look forward to the opportunity again. You enjoyed the property just as we envisioned it to be enjoyed when we took over the Inn a few months ago. Thank you, thank you for your very kind words.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Although I initially had a very good impression of the place, I was very disappointed with the place and would NOT recommend the place to anyone, especially with children. After my husband had checked in the early afternoon, we were given a tour of the place and welcomed to use the facilities. Although small, the bedroom (The Balcony) was quaint. When my husband had to take care of some work-related business during the early evening, my 10 month son and I decided to check out the living room in the main house, especially since the bedroom was so small (could barely walk around the bed). We had been in the living room for less than 5 minutes, when one of the presumed workers reprimanded me for having my baby in there and told me that children are not supposed to be in the main house. At no time during the tour had it been mentioned that children should not be in the main house. So, slightly embarrassed, I returned to my room, thinking maybe it was on the piece of paper that we had been given when we checked in. When I check on paper, no where was it mentioned that children were NOT supposed to be in the main house. Therefore, unless you like being reprimanded after you paying for accommodations, I would NOT recommend Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast in Elizabeth City.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
23  Thank Jo T
Katewalker, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Unfortunately, this guest was not staying at the Inn and did not make the reservation when the children and pet policy was explained. She was visiting a guest that evening but came in town earlier for the day while the guest was at work. We generously offered to allow both she and her child to spend the day at the facility and gave them a tour of the common areas and complimentary refreshments they could enjoy while they waited all day for the guest to return. She also had access to the guest's own room at his request.

We have 11 total rooms and reserve the 4 in the Main Inn for a pampering and relaxing experience. People choose to stay here in the Main House to experience just that. We work very hard to meet that expectation.

We welcome families in any of our other rooms and numerous common areas and are very family accommodating outside this limited area.

Our staff member had to address this visitor after she had been on site for several hours enjoying numerous other spaces on site because she brought her baby in the formal living room of the Main House and allowed the baby to "play" the Grand piano in the living room while we had guests honeymooning and celebrating other special events staying with us in each of the 4 Main Inn rooms. None of these guests were expecting or welcomed this kind of entertainment and the staff member was responding to a guest's complaint.

As much as we would like to allow everyone to enjoy the Inn in their own personal way, we have to ensure our guests are being provided the experience they were promised.

We certainly never want anyone to feel embarrassed and this visitor was again offered all the other facilities we share with families. She in fact remained with us for the entire remainder of the day.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond and take great pride in making sure our guests interests are protected and pampered.