“Came for one night, stayed for three”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabeth City
Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 8 March 2013

No, my car wasn't in the repair shop. It wasn't that I had business that took longer than expected either. I stayed three nights because I felt like I was at home with Maureen and Ray and their beautiful B&B in the charming Elizabeth City. From the moment I rang the doorbell and appeared exhausted on their doorstep, they took care of me with compassion and thoroughness, as if I was their little sister who'd run away from home.

I haven't read the other reviews yet, but I assume they describe the fabulous, ample Celtic room. I took long, luxurious naps in the comfy four poster and tended to assignments in the sitting area like it was my own home office. Huge windows overlooking the downtown area beckoned me to go explore. The First Friday Art Walk was a fun surprise - I arrived just in time - and I felt right at home among the good people of this fine little city. Maureen was especially generous with her time and hospitality, and every establishment she recommended earned five stars from me.

Coffee miraculously appeared on a tray at daybreak. Breakfasts were simply amazing and filled me up for the entire day. I kid you not. Ray makes exceptional coffee, the B&B's own blend! If you're lucky enough to see his omelet or spiced pear on the menu, or Maureen's frittata, then you are in for a real treat. Do NOT skip breakfast because you will be missing out on something extraordinary.

These two exceptional innkeepers leave nothing to chance; every detail is attended to. You will come and go as if it's your own home, and if you need something, it's already been taken care of - even before you knew you needed it! Ray and Maureen have been together for 40-something years, a loving and equal partnership which I don't always see when staying at B&B's. It's refreshing and admirable. They could write the book on how to run a B&B as a couple.

I have already passed the Elizabeth CIty B&B business card on to another frequent traveler, and I just can't wait to visit Maureen and Ray again. My needs will be purely social next time as I ended up renting my own "little sister" bungalow within walking distance. Watch out! You may end up doing the same after spending three days in Elizabeth City with Ray and Maureen Donnelly. Thanks to them, I had the best B&B experience of my life!

Room Tip: Let Maureen and Ray set you up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind words, just what we would have expected from a wonderful author! We loved your visit and the opportunity to share our friends and city with you. As you know everyone who had an opportunity to meet you is looking forward to your next visit to Elizabeth City.
For anyone thinking about moving to an area, staying at a B&B provides the most personal experience of what the community is like. Most B&B owners are excited to share with their guests information about attractions, events and all that makes their area a special place for visitors and residents alike.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming back you to the "Harbor of Hospitality".
Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Ray and Maureen are such good people and wonderful hosts. We have stayed there as a couple on more than one occasion, and singly as well, when visiting kin. So comfortable and quiet. The breakfast is gourmet, and Ray's coffee is fantastic. Great value for the comfort and convenience to the attractions and restaurants of downtown, but the owners take it the next level with their genuine friendliness. Great place!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments. As you know Ray is very proud of his coffee! You are correct that our proximity to the downtown waterfront with shops, museums and restaurants makes it a most convenient location when visiting Elizabeth City. We hope to see you and the family in the near future. Best wishes, Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Loved the room, food and the innkeepers are the best! Would recommend to anyone. Will return again. Breakfast was more than ample amounts. B &B centrally located the history around the city wonderful! Came and went as we pleased. A check out was even accompanied with a hug.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your return visit in October. Thank you~Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I travel for a living and found the Elizabeth City B&B through colleagues. It is absolutely my favorite B&B in all of NC. Ray & Maureen are friendly and interesting hosts. I have not wanted to stay anywhere else in Elizabeth City since my first time at the B&B. And as a regular guest, you come to learn that this is the case with most travelers. They have many returning guests because you feel as though you are coming to stay with old friends. The accommodations are always clean and cheerful. The breakfast is always wonderful, and prepared with fresh ingrediants--local produce, herbs from Ray& Maureen's garden. The location is perfect. You park your car and can easily walk to the Arts of the Albemarle, local restaurants and the museum. I have recommended the EC B&B to all of my friends and colleagues. You just won't find a better combination of great people, great accommodations and a great location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Leigh Ann W

We are so happy that you enjoy all we have to offer. It is always great to have you as a guest!
Thanks~Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast so I wasn't sure what to expect. The owners were very, very friendly and helpful. My room was clean and the bed was good. There wasn't a good reading light by the bed. I only had breakfast one morning and it was o.k. -- fruit and a coffeecake type thing, plus meat (which I don't eat). Coffee was plentiful and good. I thought the value for the price was very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

We hope if you come again for the Tarwheel Century you will give us another try. We love to have riders in for that event. Thank you for your comments~Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 25 July 2011

What a beautiful location....Elizabeth City is a great place to visit & the Elizabeth City B &B is the perfect place to stay. The B & B is walking distance from all that Elizabeth City offers. The owners are very accommodating! Every morning there is a delicious cup coffee and a wonderful breakfast awaiting you. Great time, can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2010

My wife and I spent another 3 nights at Elizabeth City B&B the weekend of October 28,29 and 30th. We were in town for the arts & crafts show and my wife was an exhibitor. We again experienced the best from our hosts especially the breakfast quisine and accomodations. We have already booked for next year. Staying here is akin to visiting your best friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business