“A charming place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabeth City
Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had a wonderful experience staying at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast. I had a large, airy private room and bath, and a delicious and filling breakfast daily. I have food allergies and Maureen took care to serve an accommodating breakfast. By the end of the trip we we hugged goodbye like family. Since I have family in the area, I will be back to stay in the future, but I highly recommend the small town for a quiet weekend away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Mort48, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

We truly enjoyed visiting with you and your parents. You made it easy to accommodate your dietary needs and we are always happy to do this for our guests. We hope it won't be long before you return to Elizabeth City. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Best wishes, Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife Cindy and I live locally,and had never been to a B&B. We were sure missing out on a lot. Ray and Maureen could not have been more accommodating. And the food! WOW! You must give the Elizabeth City B&B a try. You will meet great new people, make new friends, and you will be back again. Trust me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mort48, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thanks for your review. It's always enjoyable to have " local guests " and to chat about the area. We hope that you will come back again in the future. We hope that you enjoy the summer.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Ray and Maureen were amazing hosts. We felt like we were staying with friends. The breakfast was amazing. The rooms were charming with a ton of space. Its also not too far from the outer banks without the hassle or cost of staying right at the beach. A great experience. We will be returning!

• Stayed: May 2013
Mort48, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thanks for the review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and trip to the Outer Banks despite some unseasonably cool weather. We enjoyed our chats over breakfast. We hope that future trips will bring you back to Elizabeth City. Thanks again, Ray and Maureen

Reviewed 22 May 2013

My wife and I were looking for someplace different to visit, so I got online and searched for "fairs and festivals". I came across the Elizabeth Cith Potato Festival that is held each year in that city. We also decided that we were going to try our first B&B and make it a special mini vacation. Upon looking at several B&B's in the area, of Elizabeth City, I decided on Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast based on the highly recommended and excellent reviews. When we arrived, I was not disappointed. As I pulled up, Ray was painting the building and quickly got off his ladder to greet us. Maureen also came out and we were met with a great southern hospitaility. We stayed for three nights and experienced some of the best gourmet breakfast I have ever tasted. I consider this B&B a great value when the room far exceeds any hotel. Thank you Maureen and Ray for such a pleasant time. We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We were glad that you decided to come to Elizabeth City for our Potato Festival. We love to have first time B&B visitors and we always hope that future stays in other Bed and Breakfasts exceed their expectations as well. We always enjoy the opportunity to share stories and experiences with our guests. We hope that you will visit us again. Don't forget about Historic Ghost Walk in October. Thanks again!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

No, my car wasn't in the repair shop. It wasn't that I had business that took longer than expected either. I stayed three nights because I felt like I was at home with Maureen and Ray and their beautiful B&B in the charming Elizabeth City. From the moment I rang the doorbell and appeared exhausted on their doorstep, they took care of me with compassion and thoroughness, as if I was their little sister who'd run away from home.

I haven't read the other reviews yet, but I assume they describe the fabulous, ample Celtic room. I took long, luxurious naps in the comfy four poster and tended to assignments in the sitting area like it was my own home office. Huge windows overlooking the downtown area beckoned me to go explore. The First Friday Art Walk was a fun surprise - I arrived just in time - and I felt right at home among the good people of this fine little city. Maureen was especially generous with her time and hospitality, and every establishment she recommended earned five stars from me.

Coffee miraculously appeared on a tray at daybreak. Breakfasts were simply amazing and filled me up for the entire day. I kid you not. Ray makes exceptional coffee, the B&B's own blend! If you're lucky enough to see his omelet or spiced pear on the menu, or Maureen's frittata, then you are in for a real treat. Do NOT skip breakfast because you will be missing out on something extraordinary.

These two exceptional innkeepers leave nothing to chance; every detail is attended to. You will come and go as if it's your own home, and if you need something, it's already been taken care of - even before you knew you needed it! Ray and Maureen have been together for 40-something years, a loving and equal partnership which I don't always see when staying at B&B's. It's refreshing and admirable. They could write the book on how to run a B&B as a couple.

I have already passed the Elizabeth CIty B&B business card on to another frequent traveler, and I just can't wait to visit Maureen and Ray again. My needs will be purely social next time as I ended up renting my own "little sister" bungalow within walking distance. Watch out! You may end up doing the same after spending three days in Elizabeth City with Ray and Maureen Donnelly. Thanks to them, I had the best B&B experience of my life!

Room Tip: Let Maureen and Ray set you up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind words, just what we would have expected from a wonderful author! We loved your visit and the opportunity to share our friends and city with you. As you know everyone who had an opportunity to meet you is looking forward to your next visit to Elizabeth City.
For anyone thinking about moving to an area, staying at a B&B provides the most personal experience of what the community is like. Most B&B owners are excited to share with their guests information about attractions, events and all that makes their area a special place for visitors and residents alike.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming back you to the "Harbor of Hospitality".
Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Ray and Maureen are such good people and wonderful hosts. We have stayed there as a couple on more than one occasion, and singly as well, when visiting kin. So comfortable and quiet. The breakfast is gourmet, and Ray's coffee is fantastic. Great value for the comfort and convenience to the attractions and restaurants of downtown, but the owners take it the next level with their genuine friendliness. Great place!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments. As you know Ray is very proud of his coffee! You are correct that our proximity to the downtown waterfront with shops, museums and restaurants makes it a most convenient location when visiting Elizabeth City. We hope to see you and the family in the near future. Best wishes, Ray & Maureen

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Loved the room, food and the innkeepers are the best! Would recommend to anyone. Will return again. Breakfast was more than ample amounts. B &B centrally located the history around the city wonderful! Came and went as we pleased. A check out was even accompanied with a hug.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
MortDonnelly, Owner at Elizabeth City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your return visit in October. Thank you~Ray & Maureen