“What a shame” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grouper's Waterfront Restaurant

Grouper's Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 103 Restaurants in Elizabeth City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Greensboro
“What a shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I agree with the other reviewer who said this place would be an ideal candidate for Restaurant Impossible. They try hard, but are missing the mark. Our waitress, Kathy, was as friendly as could be. She was attentive to our needs and the food came out quickly. My husband had grilled tuna that he thought had been microwaved from frozen and then browned in the pan. It was tough and flavorless. I had grouper that was well-prepared, but the mushroom crab sauce on top tasted like it came from a mix and was inedible. We sat outside, and although the view was nice, the tables themselves really needed a rehab. They were covered in a grimy torn and stained pleather type covering that made me not want to put my silverware down. At the very least, they should put down paper placemats. There were garbage cans here and there around the patio that had not been emptied from the night before and that attracted flies that buzzed us constantly during our dinner. The location is ideal and has so much potential, but it seems they don’t know how to capitalize on what they have.

• Visited August 2013

South Mills, NC
“Huge Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Groupers belongs on an episode of Restaurant Impossible. It has so much potential, but it is always awful. The view is beautiful, but everything after that fails. The restaurant needs updating--peeling paint, etc. The food sounds good on the menu, but I have never had a good meal. The service is the worst part. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. I've been there 3-4 times, always hoping it improves because it has so much potential, but it's always disappointing.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RM6191
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Do not bother visiting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I visited Grouper's Restaurant on February 22, 2013. The last time I was there was July 26, 2012. On this particular occasion the temperature outside was in the 90's and the dining room of the restaurant was so hot and miserable by the time the server came around to take our order I was too overheated to eat. It was so hot in the dining room that sweat was rolling down my face. It was not a good experience at all. Now on to my visit this past Friday night. It was a cold night out and I figured it was safe to go in. When I entered I was immediately hit with a blast of heat and the smell of burning grease. This is supposed to be a nice restaurant. While it does have one of the best views in town, it is not a nice restaurant. While seated at the bar I asked the bartender if there was a problem with the ventilation system in the kitchen as the restaurant was stifling hot and grease practicably hung in the air. After this I noticed a drop in the temperature and that the air seemed to be cleaning up a bit. He informed me that he had cut on the "hood" in the kitchen to clear the air out and cut on a fan in the bar. While I appreciated this I really can't help but wonder why the "hood" was not on to begin with. This is something that is vital to the operations of a restaurant and often if your hood goes out you have to close the doors as not to bombard your dining room, not to mention your kitchen staff, with heat, smoke and unpleasant fumes. As for me, I will patronize the outside deck for an evening out in mild weather but I will never step foot in the dining room again.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Odella B
Durants Neck, North Carolina
“Valentine's Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I think Groupers is always a nice place for dinner. In the summer you can sit outside on the dock have dinner and watch the Elizabeth City harbor and the Pasquotank river. During the cooler months the dining room can get crowded if the restaurant is busy. A holiday like Valentine's Day is a night that will be busy so you will need reservations. I would suggest reservations on any weekend evening as the dining room is, as I said, somewhat small.

Tonight my partner and I went for Valentine's dinner, and Groupers had a special of 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts for $60.

We both shared the 2 appetizers of Coconut Shrimp and Artichoke dip with French bread slices for dipping. The coconut shrimp were very good, tender shrimp (but not very shrimpy flavor). The artichoke was very good and I highly recommend it.

I had the12 oz. NY Strip steak which was cooked exactly as ordered and was seasoned equally as well. Both entrees came with a healthy house salad.

My partner had the Shipyard Pasta which was a mix of shrimp and scallops and a bed of linguini. He said it too was excellent and highly recommended.

For dessert I had Chocolate cake which was wonderful and was a very healthy slice which I could hardly finish, but was not likely to leave it behind either. My partner had the bread pudding which he found very much to his liking.

All in all it was a very nice dinner. I certainly recommend Groupers to anyone.

Because the restaurant was full, the service was a bit slow. I think the wait staff and kitchen were over stretched, but the food was worth the wait.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Scrumptious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Their specials for lunch on a recent Sat. left me pining for a taste of each. And what a great choice of desserts!

Visited December 2012