“Mildew/Mold and Bugs in Room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Islander Inn & Suites

Islander Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Emerald Isle
Charleston, West Virginia
“Mildew/Mold and Bugs in Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Pros: It is on the beach. Has a very nicely landscaped yard leading out to the beach. The pool is pretty nice. The outside is pretty.

Cons: The front desk was fairly rude the two times I spoke to them. I stayed in a "suite" which is just a long rectangle with a sad little divider between the beds and couch. The is a tv for each area which are on the same wall about 10 feet apart.

The room was kind of dirty and the door had a large gap at the bottom where you could see sunlight coming through. We had to keep a towel along the bottom of the door because bugs came in. Unfortunately anytime we were out the bugs could get in.

As previously mentioned in other reviews the "suite" claims a kitchenette but there is no sink. You brush you teeth at the "kitchenette sink." Not even a toaster to be found. No plates, silverware or cups.

The absolute worst part though is the room stays damp. It just feels moist when you are there. The long rectangle box of a "suite" has no windows except at the small front side of the rectangle. The bathroom is in the back and has no fan. The room constantly felt moist and the little wall mounted ac unit couldn't keep the moisture out. The box spring cover has mold/mildew on it.

There is no outside seating except for the eight "oceanfront rooms."

I was in Suite 138. I can't imagine why you would want to go to this hotel (I wouldn't go back).

It could be a nice little hotel. But it isn't.

Room Tip: Don't go. Maybe, maybe, maybe if you get a great deal you could try an ocean front room but I wo...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Craig B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The only positive thing about this 'Inn' - more like a motel - was its location - on a nice bit of beach. Oh and the chairs around the pool were of good quality - which couldn't be said of the furniture in the rooms which was very old and in poor condition. The sofa was extremely frayed and the beds pretty uncomfortable. Even though the rooms are described as having a ;kitchenette' actually you are told you cannot cook in them and there is nothing other than a microwave - not even a toaster and no plates or silverware so you can't even make a light breakfast unless you bring these things yourselves. The 'kitchen' sink is also the bathroom sink as none is provided in the bathroom. IOverall, we and the other 10 people in our group in other rooms had a pretty awful experience here and none of us would think of returning. However the worst part of my experience was that I left a bikini behind - hanging on a hook in the bathroom. When I got home I called 3 times then emailed and no-one called me back on the number I had supplied in each of my messages until over a week after our trip ended. Eventually I spoke to the manager who was extremely rude and told me that they had no record of my calls or voicemails. She also told me that the housekeeper had called me and I had spoken to the her about the lost item (not sure how this would have happened if they had no record of my calls!). This was not true but the manager appeared unwilling to accept that I might be telling the truth about this. Finally she said they had done their best to resolve my problem (needless to say they didn't find the bikini!) and, she said, after all it was 'only a bikini'. Of course she accepted no responsibility whatsoever for its mysterious loss. I don't think this manager has attended any classes in customer service! As i said in my title - 'Don't go there!'

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank allybannaich
Longmont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at one of the less expensive rooms. The beach was right around the corner with a gorgeous view. The swimming pool overlooks the ocean with plenty of shade. the staff were very friendly and helpful. Each room was very clean and comfortable. The only problem was that they advertised a kitchenette in all the rooms which was a microwave and refrigerator. No cooking was allowed and their were no dishes. I would have planned differently had I known. All and all it was a great value for the money.

Room Tip: Oceanside if you can afford to pay extra.
2 Thank drumgirl50
boone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Took advantage of the weekday special stay two nights get the third free. Located on the beach although most rooms do not have a oceanfront view. Room was clean and spacious, front desk was very helpful. Very nice large pool and lounge area. Nice central location while the ferry to the lighthouse has moved from Atlantic beach to Harkers Island the drive is not bad stop in Beaufort (Bowfort) shopping and dining. See the wild horse's on Shackleford Banks during the ferry ride. The pier on Emerald Isle is free as is Fort Macon. A very pleasant two day vacation.

Room Tip: Look for ocean front room if available
1 Thank dickBoone
Greensboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Very quiet even though it was totally booked. They have been very attentive to our every request. It sits right on the beach & has a great pool area with very nice chairs. A couple of downsides to it being an older property - bathroom didn't have a fan, a lid on the toilet & no shelving. Great lounging areas in the 2nd floor breezeway. Excellent for spying on the wedding going on! We really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tjbss
Ringgold, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

My 15yo daughter and I stayed for a couple days and it was wonderful! The room was clean and spacious. We stayed on the bottom floor and the room was very quiet. The pool was great! It was very clean and the cabanas were nice. I was worried my teenage daughter would get bored but with the pool and ocean and all the close shops and restaurants she had a great time. We will definitely be back soon!!

1 Thank Mersm0m
Tryon, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely appointed rooms with lots of general outdoor seating options. We got a double room suite second floor. Very clean carpets and floors.. Appointed w fridge microwave and keurig coffee maker with a few k cups to get u started. Plenty of vending and ice too Nice clean big pool and short walk to the beach. Cold ac in room w a fan that runs all the time (love!) And a box fan in the room too! LOVE the fact that they have assigned quiet hours.. 11p to 9a .no loud parties or obnoxious kids tearing around at all hours.. Really loved that. Most of the other guests were families w kids or seniors / quiet couples. Everyone was super considerate of other guests. Locals are very friendly too! Plot is adjacent to public beach access but we found that no problem as the cops hang out there also. Easy walk to kid friendly amenities and a short drive to nc aquarium or fort Macon to see salt marshes. Will def return if we visit this beach again..

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emerald Isle
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn & Suites Swansboro / near Camp Lejeune at Bear Creek Gate
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#2 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Islander Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!