“Average for highway hotel”

Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Fletcher
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Used Rewards points to stay at this hotel; Typical FF line for Marriott although this particular one is old and has not recieved the latest & greatest upgrades to public areas or sleeping rooms.

Easy access from I-26 / State 74; You have you choice of facing highway noise on the front of the hotel or Airport / plane noise on the back of the hotel. The hotel is located across the street to the Asheville airport.

Building has been painted on the outside but old design and a lot of facility furnishing/fixtures have not been changed out; Very low ceiling lobby and tends to make it dark; Large breakfast area - sitting is ample and comfortable. A little strange on the layout for the elevator entry areas on the upstairs rooms. Huge open space at each elevator; Hall ways and the elevator were extremely hot -- no ventilation and no AC running in either. Hallways are dimly lighted - a little beat up and worn.

Sleeping rooms OK but again dated and a little run down; This Marriott chain consistently lacks the comfort touches such as ample outlets and suffers from a lack of lighting; It's the bottom price range for Marriott and it shows. The room we had bent and tattered lamp shades - and those energy florescent bulbs don't help. The bed was comfortable. The linens including the towels were average.
When we checked in, the tub was up to the overflow vent with water. When I released the drain lever it emptied but the spigot would not completely turn off. It appears the cleaning staff pulled the drain closed and since it had a light stream of water leaking, it filled up. I told the front desk when I asked for extra towels but they were unimpressed and said they would let maintenance know Monday (this was Sunday night). No offer to switch the room when I told them. The running water didn't bother us so I ignored it.
Breakfast offerings were identical to all Marriott FF Inns -- reconstituted eggs, pre cooked / heated sausage, breads, oatmeal, etc. The kitchen staff was attentive and quick to replenish when needed. Clean food area and plain table/chairs.

Room Tip: check the room over including bathroom before unpacking; Make sure you are specific on extra towels...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Critic48

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel itself is fine. It costs about $25/night more than nearby hotels, the attraction being a shuttle from the airport. However, what they don't publicize online or on their signs at the airport is that the shuttle will take any guest anywhere within 3 miles. Great if you are the guest wanting 45 minutes at Walmart late on a Monday night. Not great if you're a woman waiting alone at the airport for 45 minutes as it empties out while said guest is at Walmart with the only driver waiting. When I asked if I could just get a cab and be reimbursed, I was told very curtly the manager will not do that, in a way that let me know I was not the only person who had experienced this. I had paid more to stay here to avoid a rental car for one night. Should have definitely gotten the rental car and stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank XCountryFamily
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Not a destination hotel. Average hotel, with good breakfast. Back rooms have a lot of noise from roadway so once again, you need to be insistent when checking in for a side away from road.Ck on hotel map with the front desk.Wi-fi worked and shuttle to airport runs every 15 mins, 24/7, which worked well. Some local restaurant within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
FairfieldGM1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Srimanone
Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your visit with the Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations. The hotel has installed low noise windows on the side of the hotel closest to the interstate. I hope you will visit us again if your travels bring you back to the Asheville area.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Again, a "non-smoking" hotel that observes it in the breach (smoking areas right in front of room air conditioners, for example). Stale smoke smell in my room. Room lighting poor. Internet OK. Shower a bit weak but OK. Bathroom lighting poor. Electronic lock keys frequently failed. Furniture a little banged up. This is common with quite a few areas in the hotel (look at the elevator, for example). This used to be a very nice place and it still isn't bad but management needs to clean up, paint up, fix up and keep it that way! It could and should be better. It was and room rates were a lot cheaper. This isn't to say the place is horrible -- far from it -- but again no excuse for failure to keep it up to as good as it was on the day it opened.

Good breakfast bar with an early start which is helpful for travelers. Only one outlet at the desk in the room.

Room Tip: Try to find a room that isn't smelly or banged up.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

6530bx4
Thank you for visiting the Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport. I’m sorry to hear that you found some of the areas in the property that did not meet your standards. We will take your comments and use them to improve our operations. I do hope you will stop by again if your travels bring you back to the Asheville area.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It was a great room. Nice pool that my son took full advantage of in the morning. It was a last minute trip and we were not disappoint. The breakfast was very well done and the staff at the desk and housekeeping were very nice and accommodating. I just wish we would have booked two nights instead of one. Great location...close enough to Asheville. We parked at visitor center and took the trolley around town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have personally stayed at this hotel for business. Now that I live in Asheville, I book my out of town guests here as well. All my guests have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. It may not look like much from the outside, but It is clean and comfortable. It also does not have much road noise at all. A restaurant/cafeteria right across the street is very convenient and it is directly across form the Airport. I stayed here with my golf buddies recently and we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Erik B
Thank you for sharing you recent experiences with us. We hope that you will continue to use our property for your future lodging needs. I would also like to welcome you to Asheville. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The staff was great. The facility was OK, not great, but OK. I have stayed in worse looking Fairfield Inns in the last two years.

But many details were lacking. No extra plugs in our suite room. I travel with power bars and multiple extension cords, but if you don't lug that stuff around, then you can to plug in a computer and charge your phone and little else in the next room. If you pay for a suite, you won't find a single easily accessible plug anywhere near the bed. (I am ruling out removing the mattress or the dresser with the television on it.)

The wifi was slow and iffy. Of course they had advertised 'Free High-speed Wifi.' But if you wanted something that would download emails or open sites without a wait, then you had to pay another $5 a day. Natch! It's a Marriott. Up-charges abound!

I stayed here because I have a lot of Marriott points and travel extensively. But I will be looking for another option next time I am in the Fletcher NC area. Even if I have to drive a bit more.

Room Tip: Bring a hotspot and lots of extension cords.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

J B
Thank your sharing your comments regarding your stay with the Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport. We value your comments and will look into ways to solve the shortage of plugs near the bed in the suite sleeping area. We thank once again your for your visit and appreciate you sharing your experience with us.
Tom O’Neal

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletcher
Hampton Inn & Suites Asheville-I-26
Wingate by Wyndham Asheville Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Asheville Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Asheville South/Biltmore Square
Comfort Inn Asheville Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)

Been to Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport? Share your experiences!