“Nothinng to write home about”

Tudor House Bed and Breakfast
Tudor House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Fletcher B&B and Inns
Yucaipa, California
“Nothinng to write home about”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

As I was reading the review from October 19, I saw that the person stayed in same room as we did but had a different impression. The room is in desperate need of painting. The door are all faded as was some of the carpet in the bathroom. Brass fixtures in the bathroom tells you how long it has been since it was updated. Yes there was a TV, older model, and an ELECTRIC fireplace. When we arrived, about an hour or so earlier than I had told them, June wasn't there and Alvin was tinkering (he loves to do this, and very well I might add) in the garage. He showed us to our room, gave us a real quick go through the room and left us, not giving us the Wi-fi password (24 hours later) and never did get a key to the room, my mistake for not asking I suppose, I thought it was standard that you got a key to the room. He didn't tell us about the jacuzzi (another couple told us on our second and last day at breakfast right before we left) This is a jacuzzi that was put in a tower he built with spiral staircase (I would have thought he would have been bragging from the get go about it) he showed us on the way out and we both weren't happy that we didn't know about it.
Breakfast was scarce, a fruit parfait and day 1 was AN egg benedict on homemade bread and an overcooked egg on regular bacon. Day 2 was a small egg cassarole with 1/2 piece of bacon, well the women got 1/2 slice of bacon, the men got none.
The couple that we had breakfast had been there before, so they told us about the jacuzzi and Alvin and the gentlemen got along like peas and carrots. We just tried to follow along in the conversation, either about tinkering stuff, engineering or building houses.
I had told June when I booked the room that it as our anniversary (as directed on the website) but never got an acknowledgement or a flower for the occasion. The other couple brought down a pot of coffee that had in their room, something else we weren't offered.
Overall, the dogwood room was doggone old and not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShadesofWeb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here only one night but would definitely like to go back. Though surrounded by commercial and residential areas, this B & B remains isolated the noise and bustle of its surroundings. I felt like I was in a large wooded area. The lovely couple who own and run this B & B were quite helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was delicious! The room was cozy (with fireplace and TV) and had a large bath attached.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Dogwood room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Tennessee
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I stayed in this B&B last year (I forgot to write something about it apparently until just now). We were delighted by the hidden entry to our room, which is behind a panel in the wall. We thoroughly enjoyed the whirlpool tub beside the huge window (can't say the same for the neighbors). We very much enjoyed learning about the history of the house and how the home owners ended up "across the pond." We enjoyed the breakfast. The house is amazing. The tower in the backyard is impressive. I love British humor. It's close to a German restaurant, making Oktoberfest fun and convenient. It's also close to an Italian restaurant - I recommend getting the fig appetizer by the way.

What I don't recommend is staying here if you identify as LGBT. My husband and I found this B&B after researching and reading something somewhere that indicated something pointing to it being LGBT friendly. Though we enjoyed staying there, I don't think we'll return after the hostess assumed that my husband and I must be anti gay rights. Man was that a horrible assumption on her part! We assumed the home owners are pro-gay...and boy was that a horrible assumption on our part! When the conversation was initiated, both sides quickly shut the conversation down. I felt icky by what was said that was assumed we would agree with. I'm sure the home owner felt confused by our non-pro-hetero stance. That's what happens when people make assumptions about each other. You make an as*-well, you just don't return as a repeat customer.

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, The Garden Room is through the dining room, behind a wall panel...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilithmonkey
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 3 April 2012

If you enjoy the English influence, you need to vist June and Alvan at The Tudor House. Wonderful hosts! The B&B is very nice...situated on 4 wooded acres in the midst of the town. Hard to believe you can escape until you make the drive up their gravel driveway for about 100 yards to the house. Antiques dominate the decor as well as plenty of the Queen Mother's collectibles. Comfortable, spacious room. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. June and Alvan have varied interests and hobbies. If you love cars (especially Jaguars or DeLoreans) or woodworking, Alvan will amaze you. If you want to hear all about the Queen Mother or antiques, June knows her stuff. Better yet, ask June about Phil Everly or Pat Boone! Guarantee you will love those stories! I wish we had been able to stay additional nights. Needed more time...wanted to talk more with our hosts, visit more in Asheville (just about 15 minutes away), and so much more. Definitely will be going back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We spent three nights with Alvan and June while visiting Asheville, NC. The house was clean and comfortable and quite reasonably priced. The room we stayed in was relatively small, but certainly adequate. The owners are friendly and pleasant, and the breakfast was hearty! If you are seeing both Hendersonville and Asheville, this is a great location. If you're looking for a decent, homey place to stay then this is it. Just like staying with family! We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
raleigh
Reviewed 3 November 2010

The owners are really welcoming and pleasant.
We stayed in the Garden Room, and the room was very clean, the bathtub is great, and the fireplace makes the room very cozy.
We were served a lovely breakfast, and the owners are very accommodating.
I loved the fresh flowers in our room, it was a nice detail.
It is a little further out than the larger hotels, but well worth it. It's about the same price as the chain hotels, but so much nicer of a stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2009

While searching for accomodations on the Web for our motorcycle trip to Norh Carolina we came across the Tudor House Bead & Breakfast. It sounded different and inviting so we made our reservation. We could not have been more satisfied with the B&B and Alvan and June, the wonderful English couple who run it. It was quaint, very relaxing and full of Old World charm tucked away in a great wooded location close to town. They went out of their way to provide great service, along with a great sense of humor. We found ourselves looking forward to breakfast each morning for both the fantastic food (including French pressed coffee) as well as the great conversation with them and the other guests. The Garden Room was wonderful, with a very nice king-sized bed, wireless Internet service and two-person Jacuzzi tub in the bath. Alvan was out to greet us the moment we arrived, offering help with the luggage as well as garage space for our motorcycles while there. We will definitely keep the Tudor House at the top of our list when traveling again to this part of the country. Great place! Great people!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletcher
Wingate by Wyndham Asheville Airport
Mountain Inn & Suites Airport
#3 of 11 in Hendersonville
Courtyard by Marriott Asheville Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Asheville-I-26

Been to Tudor House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!