“I don't get it.”

Tudor House Bed and Breakfast
Tudor House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Fletcher B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Let me start by saying that I made the decision to stay at the Tudor House based upon so many incredible (unbelievably really) recommendations. So take what I say with a grain of salt and understand that maybe I am not a "bed and breakfast" kind of girl. We arrived and were met by June, our hostess. She and her husband Alvin live in the basement. The main floor and upstairs bedrooms are for paying guests. When we walked into this charming English country-style home - the air was musty since it didn't appear that the air conditioning was running. The living room is filled with English antiques, furniture and photos (even one of the queen). It almost seems like a movie set. There is a kitchen and dining room (where breakfast is served). We had two rooms - one that you get to through a secret door in the dining room (you push a panel on the wall and the door opens). Both for this room and the other room we used, you must walk up a very steep set of stairs - not good for me since I recently had back surgery. This upstairs hike takes you into the attic - where the bedrooms are. My girlfriend and I had the dogwood room - where the ceilings are slanted, which isn't such a big deal until you take a shower in the bathtub/shower combo that also has a slanted ceiling. If you are tall you are going to have a problem standing upright without banging your head. The toilet seat in the bathroom is one of those 1970's squishy seats that had a sharp seam underneath that kept cutting into my behind. If you have to sit for any length of time - it's kind of painful. The mattress was nothing comparable to what you would find in a hotel - so again, with a recently operated back this was not a good fit. There is dark red carpeting on the floor in the bedroom AND the bathroom. There is a small wall air conditioner that does keep the room cold - but no one has cleaned it in a while and when we went to adjust it - dust flew out of it. There was bright green mold in the pull out faucet in the bathroom which made me wonder where else this house had mold. In the second (smaller) bedroom (the one with the hidden door), there was a strong smell of moth balls - so we bought some febreeze to see if we could neutralize it. It didn't work so we ended up sleeping three of us in the dogwood room. Alvin was very sweet and accommodating, with lots of stories to tell - particularly of his "folly" - a tower built in the backyard with a double helix staircase inside and a hot tub on top. He is warm and kind. When we arrived June asked if we had any food allergies or dislikes. We told her that our daughter doesn't eat bread. She said she would be serving us eggs and bacon in the morning. For breakfast the next morning they served us French toast. HUH? We made the decision after one night that it was in everyone's best interest to leave and go to a traditional hotel. I think I would stay in a bed and breakfast again if it was large - versus staying in a house where we are the people's only guests. I found it just awkward. Like I was staying in grandma's house...but I had never met grandma before. If everyone else who writes these reviews thinks the place is fantastic - then take what I say lightly. If you are looking for something modern and pristine with an elevator - and you would prefer a traditional sleeping room over a bedroom in an attic - go to a hotel. Although I am told that in the Asheville area there are some truly spectacular bed and breakfast places. Maybe we just didn't pick the right one.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank buysea

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here. June and Alvin are lovely - always with an interesting story and very welcoming. Being British myself, stepping inside their B&B is like going home. I agree with ShadesofWeb about the breakfast. We remember a magnificent spread from our earlier visit - with honey from Alvin's beehives - but this time the bees were not cooperating and the egg was a little overcooked. The fruit cocktail,however, was delicious and June went out of her way to accommodate the vegetarian guests. Servings were generous and a pot of hot tea always available! Or coffee, if you prefer.
We stayed in the upstairs room behind the secret door this time. Mind your head on the sloping ceiling and the stairs are very steep. But very comfortable and clean.
This place is a hidden gem - a quiet refuge in the middle of the strip malls and fast food joints that is sadly what the outskirts of Asheville have become.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor the first time we stayed here and upstairs this time. The stairs are v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2013

What an unbelievably wonderful place to stay and relax. I still do not believe how removed from the general area Tudor House is given its convenient location to the airport. A few acres in the middle of forest well hides this southern gem. Tudor House is by far may favorite stay in my years of travel. For a guy who clocks 50-90 stays a year, I believe this to be saying something. The price was equal to some of the lower level Marriott or Hilton prices but the quality and great experience were equal to the best hotels I’ve stayed. Be sure that the experience is much different than other hotels. If you enjoy staff fawning over you at every turn, go to the J.W. or Biltmore. If you enjoy being left mostly to yourself in an absolutely wonderful environment, this is your place. A stay at Tudor House is one of quiet contentment and pleasant memories. I would love to go back and/or offer Tudor House as a suggestion to friends visiting Asheville for pleasure or business.

Room Tip: The hidden door room adds a little excitement :-)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SerenityTrugger
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This was just a fabulous place to stay for the weekend. My Husband surprised me with the stay here instead of a hotel and there were NO regrets. The Host and Hostess were a spectacular British couple that made our stay homey and comfortable. We even recieved the room with the hidden door which was fun in itself. Don't pass up the chance to stay here if you are visiting Asheville or its surrounding areas.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2012

As I was reading the review from October 19, I saw that the person stayed in same room as we did but had a different impression. The room is in desperate need of painting. The door are all faded as was some of the carpet in the bathroom. Brass fixtures in the bathroom tells you how long it has been since it was updated. Yes there was a TV, older model, and an ELECTRIC fireplace. When we arrived, about an hour or so earlier than I had told them, June wasn't there and Alvin was tinkering (he loves to do this, and very well I might add) in the garage. He showed us to our room, gave us a real quick go through the room and left us, not giving us the Wi-fi password (24 hours later) and never did get a key to the room, my mistake for not asking I suppose, I thought it was standard that you got a key to the room. He didn't tell us about the jacuzzi (another couple told us on our second and last day at breakfast right before we left) This is a jacuzzi that was put in a tower he built with spiral staircase (I would have thought he would have been bragging from the get go about it) he showed us on the way out and we both weren't happy that we didn't know about it.
Breakfast was scarce, a fruit parfait and day 1 was AN egg benedict on homemade bread and an overcooked egg on regular bacon. Day 2 was a small egg cassarole with 1/2 piece of bacon, well the women got 1/2 slice of bacon, the men got none.
The couple that we had breakfast had been there before, so they told us about the jacuzzi and Alvin and the gentlemen got along like peas and carrots. We just tried to follow along in the conversation, either about tinkering stuff, engineering or building houses.
I had told June when I booked the room that it as our anniversary (as directed on the website) but never got an acknowledgement or a flower for the occasion. The other couple brought down a pot of coffee that had in their room, something else we weren't offered.
Overall, the dogwood room was doggone old and not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShadesofWeb
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here only one night but would definitely like to go back. Though surrounded by commercial and residential areas, this B & B remains isolated the noise and bustle of its surroundings. I felt like I was in a large wooded area. The lovely couple who own and run this B & B were quite helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was delicious! The room was cozy (with fireplace and TV) and had a large bath attached.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Dogwood room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I stayed in this B&B last year (I forgot to write something about it apparently until just now). We were delighted by the hidden entry to our room, which is behind a panel in the wall. We thoroughly enjoyed the whirlpool tub beside the huge window (can't say the same for the neighbors). We very much enjoyed learning about the history of the house and how the home owners ended up "across the pond." We enjoyed the breakfast. The house is amazing. The tower in the backyard is impressive. I love British humor. It's close to a German restaurant, making Oktoberfest fun and convenient. It's also close to an Italian restaurant - I recommend getting the fig appetizer by the way.

What I don't recommend is staying here if you identify as LGBT. My husband and I found this B&B after researching and reading something somewhere that indicated something pointing to it being LGBT friendly. Though we enjoyed staying there, I don't think we'll return after the hostess assumed that my husband and I must be anti gay rights. Man was that a horrible assumption on her part! We assumed the home owners are pro-gay...and boy was that a horrible assumption on our part! When the conversation was initiated, both sides quickly shut the conversation down. I felt icky by what was said that was assumed we would agree with. I'm sure the home owner felt confused by our non-pro-hetero stance. That's what happens when people make assumptions about each other. You make an as*-well, you just don't return as a repeat customer.

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, The Garden Room is through the dining room, behind a wall panel...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple