“Nice Staff ... sad renovation :(”

Clarion Inn Airport
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Fletcher
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is being "renovated", but it is hard to tell what part is new and what part is old... looks like they are jumping around without actually finishing any one part. Checked into a room with a/c knob that wouldn't turn the a/c on. Next room had someone in the shower (didn't stick around to see who ... so I don't know how to rate that)! Third room was on 1st floor closer to the front and better parking (why didn't I get this to begin with)? 1/2 "renovated" Paint splatter on new tile floor - fancy vanity with ugly pipes exposed. Picture hangers on wall, but no pictures, old furniture with paint & scratches. NO available outlets to plug in phone or laptop without moving furniture or unplugging something. Microwave / fridge just stacked in the corner. Empty wine bottle found behind corner chair. The staff was friendly, but I seemed like they were embarrassed and not surprised by some of the things I found or mentioned. I asked the General Manager contact me (we checked in late) ... I never did hear from the GM. This was once a very nice Holiday Inn... but the Clarion Flag is not flying at full staff ... Seems like lots of money being spent but nobody is following up on the little details to make it a good investment. It was "OK" but the Fairfield across the road has this one beat.

Room Tip: 1st floor near the exit doors and near the lobby.. .very long hallways!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Staying here was like a time machine to the past. The rooms were dated, but comfortable. The staff were friendly and the amenities were simply average. Good for a family or traveler needing a hotel near the airport. The hotel did have a pool and restaurant.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel was in the midst of renovations; however we still enjoyed our visit. We were there for a motorcycle rally and the staff was very accommodating.
Breakfast was really nice and plentiful. Beds slept well.

1  Thank Gamby23
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I gave this hotel an Average rating but there were definitely Very Good aspects also...
1. It is nice and clean
2. It had a wonderful breakfast...probably one of the best I have had in a hotel. Eggs, CRISP bacon, french toast sticks, breads/bagels/english muffins, yogurt, cereal, fruit, etc
BUT
Although we were told that the rooms had recently been renovated the room was definitely lacking.....towel racks (there were NONE--no place to hang any towels)....mirrors (there was 1 mirror in the bathroom but none in the main area which would have been very helpful....fan in the bathroom (though admittedly I am seeing less and less of this in each hotel) to allow it not to steam up when showering. And the lighting was VERY dim....and not only dim but also 2 of the lights were broken....with the light bulbs actually hanging upside down BELOW the lampshades.
A plus was a nice size refrigerator and microwave....but be warned....they sit on top of each other and you must be very careful when opening the microwave or it slides right off the fridge!
All in all, it is clean (huge positive), quiet (there was a dog show nearby and lots of dogs in the place and I never heard anything) and close to the sporting event I was attending as well as many restaurants.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just finished a week at the Clarion Inn near the airport in Fletcher during our annual convention for the VRCC. Check in was easy and found a large room with very good queen sized beds. The beds were very comfortable, bathroom clean and hot water plentiful. The morning buffet breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, muffins, bagels, coffee, milk, juices, etc. There was plenty to eat and they kept up with our crowd. They also opened up the restaurant for our group - this place has some remodeling going on. Good parking area and again, the staff worked hard to make our group feel welcome.

Problems - first morning, I shaved and then tried to open the sink drain, It would not pop up. Pushed the rod down a little harder and then unscrewed the plug from the top of the plastic piece so the water would go out. But somehow, the pushing of the rod disconnected the water hoses from the spigot, so turning on the water resulted in water shooting onto the floor. That was fixed by maintenance later in the day but it happened again with the sink not unplugging the next day so I stopped plugging up the sink for the rest of the week. The lamp between the beds had a defective switch and every light fixture that could have 2 bulbs only had one. There was a refrigerator in the room with brackets on top that probably meant a microwave was supposed to be there. But it wasn't.

Air conditioner worked well - a little noisy, but not too bad.

The restaurant took my order on Monday night but after an hour and a half, I gave up waiting. They said they would be better later that week. So I went back Wednesday and ordered Steak Oscar. It was great. Good meat, nice sauteed veggies and it was served within 15 minutes. They are now recommended.

The location is on a very busy street. Turning left out of the parking lot is pretty difficult so don't plan on doing that much. Better to go right then to u-turn somewhere after I-26.

I liked the Clarion Inn - I do think it might be overpriced for it's current state. No hot tub but an inside and an outside pool. You can get drinks there but have to buy tickets a the front desk to use in the bar - something about their lack of a proper license to sell directly in the bar, I think.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked the entire hotel for an event. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that everyone in attendance was satisfied! The food for the banquet was fabulous and the accommodations were wonderful! The newly remodeled hotel did more than meet our expectations! We will definitely keep them in mind for a future event!

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My experience was unforgettable. It started as a great time pulling to the convenient parking spot, which was perfect for my entrance of F. I got out of the car to the great stench of sewage. When I walked in I was shocked to smell the great aroma of urine. I was further relieved to find my king sized bed for my family of 6. We luckily got a brown and green cot later In our stay. I had a great night of sleep. I did wake up at 4:30 in the morning, tired, but ready to use the Lou. I was greatly relieved to find the coffee maker, ready for use, right by the toilet. I quickly jumped on the idea of brewing my coffee while I brewed my thick, liquidy, diarrhea in the john. Luckily, my family had fell asleep to the smell of dog poo stain on the carpet, it masked the stench of the diarrhea. Also, if you like to have pubic hairs in your drawers and a great, big family of ants in your mini fridge, this is the place for you. Finally, if your under 4 foot, don't worry, there's a peep hole for you too.

Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletcher
Days Inn Asheville/Mall
Days Inn Asheville/Mall
#52 of 68 in Asheville
Hampton Inn & Suites Asheville-I-26
Wingate by Wyndham Asheville Airport
Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport
Comfort Inn Asheville Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Asheville Airport

Been to Clarion Inn Airport? Share your experiences!