“A really beautiful setting and good resort facilities”

Fontana Village Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fontana Dam
Reviewed 26 August 2011

this was our second trip, stayed a week. Lots to do for entire family. Hope to go again in a few years.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 14 August 2011

We arrived on a Monday just around 7pm. I am a swimmer and the first thing I noticed was the pool at the lodge was cloudy. I chose the lodge to be let to the pool rather than the activity pool crowded with children. We were advised to eat at the Grill - their casual restaurant. We choice a pizza and when it arrived we found that it was the kind that was previously frozen. I will not eat there again. We went back to the room and there was a lot of noise in the room next to us. At 11pm I had to go to the front desk because the noise was still going on. I had fallen asleep but the noise woke me. We were given a choice of changing rooms which we did. Not fun to repack and move this late at night. It would have been nice if the desk had placed a courtesy call to the room next to us. The next two days the pool got greener and eventually was closed. When it did open we tried swimming for a half hour but you could not see the bottom of the deep end.We got out rather than get sick. Front desk said to go to the kiddie pool - not an option for a lap swimmer. The good points - there was a great basket making class and Claudia was very informative of the area. The restaurant, that the front desk downplayed, at the lodge was exceptional. Great food and service. The marina is a half mile from the lodge and they were great to work with. We tried to go horseback riding since it is only open on the weekends. This didn't work. Even though we went when we finally saw someone at the stable office - there were no openings for the two days we were left with. Overall - I was not impressed. Our local food store at least asks about our shopping. All the from desk did was given me the pool. Never once did they ask if we had a good time.

Room Tip: Rooms were supposed to be updated but they smelled like mildew
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Kimberly L
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We did not stay on the property- just visited for the disc golf course and the ice cream shop. The property itself looked nice- a little dated compared to other resorts but pretty otherwise. We didnt get to play much disc golf as it just didnt work with the whole family on the cart (including an active 2 year old who kept throwing discs). We played 5 holes and took the golf cart back and they didnt charge us- very nice.
The woman at the ice cream shop- very not nice. First she said she could only remember one thing at a time so I wouldnt give her our full order at once (they make these things called pens and you can use them to write down people's orders), then I started to tell her what I would like on the banana split. Evidently she only knew one way to make a banana split and felt that she educate me as to which flavors make a banana split. It was so enlightening. Well, it just went down hill after that and the fact that they had no bananas greatly confused and upset her.She just kept getting more and more mad. It was actually bizarre. If I am going to pay $5 for a banana split and $5 for a shake, maybe the person making them should at least act human or take some happy pills or something....well, in fact I didnt pay for it- any of it. I told her to keep it all and I left.
So, what does it matter that the ice cream chic at the resort is crazy I dont know- but it was a pretty bad experience and if we had been staying there it would have ruined my day for sure.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank platasil
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We took our family to Fontana Village Resort and had a wonderful experience. We played frisbee golf and had a blast. We also played putt putt and shuffleboard. We have a boat and fished at Fontana Lake, but if you don't have a boat, you can pay for a Fontana Lake Sunset Cruise. It is absolutely beautiful. Two out of the three nights we were there, we ate dinner at the Mountview Bistro on the porch (with live entertainment) and the food was fabulous. We danced and loved the atmosphere. Families and children were everywhere and having fun. They also have a campfire to roast marshmallows every night. When you arrive at the village you are given a booklet giving you a list of all the numerous activities and times. They have a pool with a lazy river and we didn't even have time for that because we were so busy. On Saturday afternoon, my 31 yr. old son wanted to watch golf and the bar was open with cable TV. Activities are too numerous to mention but believe me if you want to do it, it is there.

We stayed in the cabins which I must admit, were probably a step above camping. They did have cable with limited stations. No cell reception but with Verizon, you could get reception in certain locations. No telephones were in the rooms, but I thought it was quite nice not having outside communication. .

We rented a golf cart and the price was a little high. We paid $110.00 a day (and overnight) but you really have to have one if you stay in most of the cabins. We had a blast riding the gold cart around the village.

My adult children want to go back soon and we all talk about our trip with very fond memories. Excellent get away to the mountains. Bring the whole faimly.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank sandypretty
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I don't mean to denigrate by the title of my review. We enjoyed Fontana Village resort. It is a great place for families, couples, bikers and others. Just be aware that Jeff Foxworthy is probably occupying the next cabin over. Possibly paraphrasing his definition of redneck, " a glorious lack of sophistication" was on display day and night, but never was it offensive.

The lodge is comfortable and it appears that each unit backs up to the pool. We stayed in a garden unit with fireplace and balcony with a fractional view of the Smokies. It's not the Ritz, but was clean and comfortable. A few pet peeve buttons were pushed by the miniscule bathroom (I've seen bigger in cruise cabins), too few pillows and the lack of any bright light. Furnishings included a comfortable sofa and 2 dining room chairs as well as desk and nightstand. The room was huge but not necessarily well laid out.

We found the food quite good. We had the breakfast buffet in the lodge. There were scrambled and hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit salad, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, grits and pastries. Coffee and tea were available as were juices although we had to request those. Service was spotty but the food was alright. We ate 2 meals at the Wildwood cafe: chicken salad and homemade vegie burger on ciabatta bread, bbq pulled pork on a kaiser bun - accompanied by fries, potato salad and fruit salad. It was all tasty, fresh and the portions were more than adequate.

For activities, we took a hike with JP and another family. He definitely went the extra mile, taking us 8 miles through the park over 3.5 hours, pointing out landmarks and wildlife. We played mini golf, but dang it was hot even in the shade. At night, we sat on the Wildwood porch, drank local draft microbrew and enjoyed the live performances.

Prices were reasonable. Breakfast was $11.95. Sandwiches were under $10. Draft beer was $4 a pint. We paid $129 a night for the room.

Room Tip: Fontana Village Resort would be a great place for a family reunion.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BamaVol
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I've been visiting Fontana Resort since 1976. So, I believe that I have the knowledge that it takes to write an accurate review.

First the good. The employees at Fontana are all wonderful, friendly people. Can't say enough about everyone we have dealt with over the years. Also, unlike many of the other reviews, I like the food at Fontana. Yes, there is little to choose from. But, what they have is good and well presented.

Now the bad. First, their reservation system. Two of the past 3 visits I've had problems. Three years ago, I booked my Inn room 6 months in advance for July 4th weekend. When I booked, and paid, I specifically asked for a room overlooking the pool. I would not have booked if this wasn't available. So, I arrive and I find out I've been placed in a Garden room. The Garden rooms are another word for the 2 detached buildings down the hill from the Inn. There is a beautiful view of the parking lot.

Fast forward to June 2011. I booked 2 Inn rooms, pool view, 4 months in advance, with an adjoining door. I was very clear when I booked that I was putting my 2 young children in 1 room and my wife and I in another. I was very clear that I needed the adjoining door. We load up a week's worth of luggage from our car and head to the 2 rooms to find out there is no adjoining door. I go back to the desk, and although friendly, the staff was unable to provide what we needed. They said their system only accepted "requests" and adjoining doors could not be guaranteed. Really? Why was I not told this when I booked and paid? I was very clear that I had 2 young children.

So, they gave us the choice of an free upgrade to 2 cabana rooms by the pool, looking at the parking lot, not the pool, or, we could move to a cabin which would be a lateral price move. We chose the cabin.

We packed our luggage back into the car and unloaded at the cabin. It is now late afternoon. We relaxed, went to dinner, and then back to relax and go to bed. The next morning we woke up and walked outside. We smelled something really bad but couldn't figure out what the smell was. We went about our day. That night around 9pm we figured it out. Whenever the toilet was flushed, it spewed up in the front yard. Everything! So, to the Inn desk I went. Now they moved us back to the Inn. We had to pack up, again, and move 100 yards up the hill back to the Inn. They upgraded us to 2 poolside rooms, on the pool deck. They were very nice rooms. But, once again, a problem. We had to walk up outdoor stairs to enter our room. There was no lighting for the stairs. Very dangerous. Complete darkness. My wife slipped on the steps because she couldn't see them. She fell a few steps and landed on her behind. She could have really been seriously injured. Considering the lack of lighting, we could have sued if she was hurt. Any first year lawyer could have won the case.

Ok, I get it, things happen. But, bottom line is that Fontana is rundown and needs some work.

Lastly, the grounds in and around the Inn need work. Many of the plants are dead. Weeds everywhere. Pebble walkways are covered with weeds. Based on the lack of guests, I suppose they can't afford to keep the place up.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Scott L
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This was our second trip to Fontana. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath cabin, with a kitchen, dining room, living room, and fireplace. The scenery is spectacular. Our family enjoyed hiking, the marina boat tour, ghost tour, and hiking the local trails. The outdoor restaurant has delicious food and a great variety of beers and other beverages. There was live music on Wednesday and Saturdays. Our young children also enjoyed the multiple playgrounds, pool, lazy rivier, country store, ice cream shop, and restaurants. We also played some baseball on the baseball field and enjoyed the game arcade. Can't wait to come back a third time. However, remember you are out amongst nature. Do not expect a pristine, Disney World - like resort. There may be some bugs and ants in and around the cabins. If you are expecting posh accomodations, stay elsewhere. If you are looking for beauty and a lot of old fashioned outdoor family fun, this is one of the best vacations you'll have.

Room Tip: Pay the additional cost for a more expensive cabin. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bryson City
24 mi away
Harrah's Cherokee Valley River Casino & Hotel
Best Western Cades Cove Inn

Been to Fontana Village Resort? Share your experiences!