“A good mountain lodge”

Fontana Village Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fontana Dam
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed at Fontana many times over the years. We love to drive the roads and enjoy the scenery. We have stayed in the lodge as well as in a cabin.
The staff are always friendly and willing to help in any way they can. I have found that if you ask for something they will do their best to help out.
We have travelled with cars, motorcycles, and trucks and found the lodge to be accommodating to our needs. They have a free "vehicle wash" area which really comes in handy.
Whenever we have stayed at Fontana we have found our rooms neat and clean. If we needed something we asked and received help. We had good service at the restaurant and the Grill. Yes, the prices are higher these days but the food is good and satisfying after a long day.
Many younger families stay at Fontana and there are many activities for them. Part of the fun is hearing the laughter and excitement from the kids. The marshmallow roast in the evening is really fun.
I was able to get phone reception as well as internet without any issues from my room (I have Verizon). I can't speak about the TV issues - I have never turned on the TV while I stayed there.
I do have a few suggestions:
There is poison ivy growing along some of the paths on the property. I know this is hard to get rid of but it's tricky to avoid it.
Bring back the lobby coffee/hot chocolate! For years the Lodge had free coffee, tea, or hot chocolate in the lobby. It was available any time and really hit the spot if you got a chill while out on the roads. Also, people gathered in the lobby, enjoyed a hot beverage, and visited with one another. Each room has small coffee makers now but it's not the same.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca C
FontanaVillage, Guest Relations Manager at Fontana Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for such a great review! We love hearing stories like yours of folks who come year after year! It sounds like you really had a nice trip. We have expanded the Wi-Fi, so we are happy that you noticed better reception. The marshmallow roasts and other activities are so much fun to participate in! It’s like camping with the luxury of a nice bed to come back to!

Thanks for your suggestions as well. We made the changes with the coffee and hot tea this year as folks was always requesting in-room coffee makers! So we have been weighing that and appreciate your thoughts on it.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Yes, this is a resort, or so the name implies. So perhaps that is why the lodge has no in-room coffee makers, fridge, hairdryer, and has poor/limited wifi. The wifi was so bad, that we gave up trying to check email or upload photos until we got to our next place. But it is just the budget minded person in me that finds it distasteful to charge way over $100/night and then charge me over $5 for a cup of coffee, and then over $10 for breakfast. Well, this wasn't my kind of resort, and after one night we were ready for a cheap hotel, that offered unlimited coffee and muffins for $50-$70. But, hey, you are limited in this area, so you either pay their fees or drive 40 miles to Cherokee.

As mentioned by others, the view is nice, the lobby is pretty, and unfortunately a good portion of the parking is sloped, so if you're on motorcycles, hopefully you'll find a spot or two with level parking.

We ate dinner at the Fontana Village 'Wildwood Grill'. Ten of us on the porch, very nice views, but it took over an hour to get our food, and it seemed pricey. I got a cold sandwich, but I think it was supposed to be hot. Hey, I was with a group of riders and this is where they wanted to stay. It was ok, but only because of the group and the great riding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Our hope is always that every guest has an amazing experience. We sincerely apologize if this was not the case for you and your group. We take each concern very seriously and we use these concerns to better ourselves. We hope you enjoyed the area and had a safe trip back home.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's not pretentious, it's not fancy, it's even a little dated.....but it's also not snobby either. You can be yourself. Met the owners in the bar when we were there, great folks and from the area. Not owned by some distant international corporation. The biggest surprise is the food......it's the only place to eat because the resort is in a very remote location...but the food is awesome...the service is the best and the drinks are good. We are going back in August, it will be our third trip there this year....!!!

Room Tip: The fireplace rooms even in summer are the best
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karl G

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! Our chef has really worked hard on the menu, trying to keep it as fresh and local as possible. We are so glad you noticed! It sounds like you had a great time while visiting with us. It’s always nice to go somewhere and just feel relaxed and like you are at home!

We can’t wait to see you back again in August!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a difficult review to write. Why? I met several kind, helpful, cheerful, and welcoming people at the Fontana Resort. But the overall experience had some MAJOR issues that travelers should be aware of. First, the good stuff. The Mountainview Restaurant has taken a leap forward (versus their older reviews). The menu is well crafted and the entrees are quite good. They should be - this is not an inexpensive place. The smoked chicken is excellent, and the desserts (especially the peanut butter chocolate pie) are quite outstanding. The wait staff was friendly and reasonably efficient. There were other good people at the resort who deserve mention. Wendy, the massage therapist is excellent and her service is reasonably priced. I highly recommend! The woman at the nearby resort store was very kind, as she re-opened the gas pumps so that several of our group could get fuel after hours. I offered a tip, but she refused it, saying she was just doing her job. Kudos to all these nice folks.

But the negatives: The TV set in the room was vintage 1995. The remote worked spasmodically. I asked for a replacement, but was told that none were available. This would end up being the least of my concerns. Meanwhile, ground floor rooms reported an influx of earthworms and centipedes. When it was mentioned to the front desk, the nonchalant reply was "they come in when it rains." By this logic, I should have expected to also find a cow in my room. I would have been only somewhat off. I had just dozed off, when a brain-piercing scream from my wife woke me up. Yes, it was a rat. Smaller, black, and unafraid. So, I went to the desk and was told (you guessed it) "they come in when it rains." The security man brought sticky traps, but to no avail. I was comped for one night. Clearly, the front desk staff need additional training in communication, customer courtesy, and general business. Our stay wasn't a disaster, but it was much less than it might have been. That's sad, really.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are happy that you enjoyed our restaurant and noticed the progress it has made. Our chef has worked hard on the new menu! It’s great to hear that our Pit Stop staff was accommodating to your party as well. I do apologize if the rest of your trip wasn’t what you had envisioned it being. I also sincerely apologize if you had issues with unwanted pests in your room. While we do have pest control out on a regular basis, it is sometimes hard to keep all of the pests away. We do appreciate you sharing how your situation was handled and the feedback will be discussed with the appropriate departments.

We hope to see you back again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

No electricity when we arrived to check in, but wasn't a problem. The staff had a key card prepared, and gave us a candle so we could put our stuff in the room. The Wildwood grille was open and serving food cooked on grills. You have to give credit to the staff for working around something they had no control over.The electricity was back on shortly. The Hawaiian pizza at the grill was great. All the food we had was good and the staff was superb. We made two trips to Bryson City and the drive is nice. Noticed different things each time. Recommend taking the sunset cruise from the marina. Also recommend the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us! It sounds like you had a great time and we are very happy for that! We have a very dedicated staff that is always quick to work together, especially in hard times like that! Power outages are not fun, so we are glad that it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience for you! Our kitchen staff has really worked hard this year to ensure the food is a step above!

We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

In the heart of the Smoky Mountains. Lots of activities. Great jumping off point. Tail of the Dragon and Skyway drives are great drives. Visit the towns in the area for unusual items. Gaming, trains and shopping are all within driving distance.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jeff C

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy that you chose to stay with us while travelling in the area. The roads and scenery around here are unparalleled! We have many onsite activities available to keep everyone happy and having fun! It is nice to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy the surrounding area as well.

We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I went there with my motorcycle club. We choose Fontana Village because it is the nearest resort to the Tail of the dragon, wich is one of the most important places to ride curves in motorcycles. The lobby was beautiful with a "log cabin" decoration. The service overall was excelent. A lot of activities at the resort, for example beautiful walking trails. An elegant restaurant at the lobby. Something that I would recommend its some kind of troley or golf carts to transport the guests tru the resort because the place its huge and if you cant walk long distances, definetly you'll have a problem. A little bit pricey from my point of view. Ive seen better places. Overall it is a nice place if you like country living.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Juan P

Thanks for your recent visit with us! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while travelling with your motorcycle club. We have some of the best roads in the country for motorcycle riding! It’s nice that you were also able to enjoy some of our on-site activities and amenities as well! We appreciate your feedback and we hope that you had a safe trip back home.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana Dam
Tremont Lodge and Resort
#8 of 10 in Townsend
24 mi away
Harrah's Cherokee Valley River Casino & Hotel

Been to Fontana Village Resort? Share your experiences!