1st off, if you are looking for some Disney style resort in the NC mountains, it doesn't exist. Fontana Village is a great little mountain resort that has obviously made improvements in most areas over the past 3-4 years. I would totally ignore reviews pre-2012. New owners and some very good staff hires have occurred. We just returned from our summer vacation with our 2 daughters (14 & 13) and we all had a GREAT time and are actually planning a family reunion next year. TONS to do within 30-45 minutes and our plan was to use Fontana Village as a base camp while we did hiking on the AT, driving tours (Tail of the Dragon, Cades Cove, etc), boating and white water rafting. Our plan changed a bit as they have quite a bit to do onsite and have their own Marina that has an exceptional staff. We did the Sunset Tour, rented a pontoon boat for the day and did a guided boat/hiking trip. Capt. Ken and JP were excellent with customer hospitality as were the ladies taking reservations. They also have kayak, canoe and SUP rentals and offer rides & pick ups for hikers and fishermen. Food on site was very good and again, the customer service impressed us. I would agree that the restaurant at the main lodge is a bit pricey but all 4 items we ordered were very good and the view alone was worth it. We enjoyed their little putt-putt course, pools, Frisbee golf course, hiking trails, live music and didn't get a chance to take in all the activities they offer on a daily basis like clogging lessons, square dancing, volleyball, softball and more.
We started off in an older and run down cabin, called to check on other options and were able to move to a great cabin the next day after a car rally left. Some of the cabins are older but we used our cabin as a base camp to sleep and maybe have 1 meal a day there. We were out and about the rest of the time. We had a great view of the GSM, lots of wildlife, everything worked just fine and we actually enjoyed the no wifi or cell service (they do have 3 Verizon hotspots on property) and if you are that addicted to your tech stay away from the great outdoors.
If you and/or your family are looking for a nice little mountain resort that is in a great location, offers excellent customer service and has lots to do nearby and actually quite a bit to do onsite, then Fontana Village would be a great decision.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam