Stayed there spring 2006. Some rooms and the restaurant in the main building have been renovated but none of the other facilities. The motel part is moldy and dirty and hasn't been renovated since the 1970's. The overall feel of the "resort" is of a run-down summer camp out of a Bill Murray movie.
While we were there they had only a really bad, 6 item buffet of frozen food for lunch and dinner and they increased the price by several dollars while we were there. No a la carte service and only the main restaurant was open. One day for breakfast we waited over an hour for raw grits, no orange juice, no fresh fruit, no hashbrowns, etc.
The women who work in the way, way overpriced general store are extremely rude to customers. They inform customers a half hour before closing time that they are closing in five minutes and ask them to leave. Other employees did state that those women are rude to everyone and not to take it personally.
There were starving stray dogs running around. Nobody did anything about them because they said the animal control only comes once a week and only if they are called and that you have to have already caught the dog.
I would never stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Priceline so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam