“Misleading Website”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Franklin
Lexington, Kentucky
“Misleading Website”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The Carolina Motel is nice enough - certainly not luxurious, and perhaps a bit shabby in regard to furnishings, but a convenient location, plus large, clean room with cross-ventilation and front-door parking made up for much. There were helpful maps of Franklin and the surrounding area available at the front desk. A nice young man met me there initially and checked me in when I stayed here for two nights while on vacation in mid-June.

However: I had assumed that my reserved room would include the pictured refrigerator and microwave I saw on the motel's own website - however, neither amenity was to be found in the room I was first given. As I was traveling, I had food with me that needed refrigeration, so I went back to registration to inquire.

I was told by Debbie, the manager, that I had been given the room I'd requested, and that if I wanted the microwave and fridge, I should have indicated as much when I made my (telephoned) reservation.

I was also asked if I'd used the bathroom in the room I first saw - evidently I would have had to spend more than a penny had I done so!

I had to ask if I could upgrade to a room which was fully supplied (no one suggested this or offered to upgrade me) - and was told yes, but that it would cost me more. I asked if there was a discount for government employees or for seniors: there was not, for either category.

I also pointed out (as politely as I could) that their website was misleading, and that had I known that the less costly room did not include what I needed, I would have originally reserved the other room (actually, I expect I would have gone elsewhere) but Debbie (again, Debbie!) clearly didn't care for my statement and became quite defensive in response. However, she did upgrade me - for a price. To the nice, large, clean but shabby and inadequately lit room, where the small microwave sat precariously atop a small pedestal table that swayed each time I used the appliance. The wall-to-wall carpet seemed clean enough, but was worn here and there and its dark color didn't make the room any lighter.

The room would have been lighter had I opened the curtains across the large picture window, but as the motel's front porch and walkway were immediately outside, that would have exposed my room - and me - to all passers-by, an unfortunate but unavoidable architectural "bonus" of the classic 1950s motel style. Thin privacy curtains which admit light but obscure the inner view would have been nice. However, there were an unexpected nice small antique tea table and a comfortable sofa with throw cushions, which added a homelike touch.

A small clothes rack was attached be a problem, surely some plastic or lightweight metal coathangers would not be a major expense, and would be a true service to guests.

But before I got to my new room, while a nice young man was rather apologetically checking me in, Debbie received a phone call from someone she obviously knew. "Oh, hi...yeah. (pause) Yeah, really obnoxious". Now, I have no idea if she was talking about me or someone or something else, but it surely didn't make me feel any more welcome.

The next morning, I decided I was probably being overly sensitive and that surely Debbie's comment couldn't have been about me. So I gave it another try and headed out to see what the free breakfast included.

Sweet rolls, juice, coffee - bananas and apples - perhaps a few other items, but that's what I recall. I don't drink coffee, but saw no tea or milk. The sweet rolls looked a bit stale and sugary. I already had juice in my hard-won refrigerator. So I took a banana back to my room, made oatmeal in the microwave, ditto hot chocolate, and wound up with a good breakfast, mostly of my own contriving.

I had a very nice time in Franklin, a lovely little town in a spectacular setting. I had no more encounters with Debbie, and the other desk personnel seemed appropriately friendly and professional. I again made breakfast in my room on the second morning, and my check-out went smoothly and quickly - I was assisted by another young man, whom I had not met previously.

So it was a very mixed bag. Next time I'm in Franklin, a very pretty small town in a stunningly beautiful mountain setting, I think I'll opt for the known quality of a good chain facility with a clear online description of their rooms and policies, or go to a B and B.

In either case, I'd expect to be welcomed by the hosts rather than encounter defensiveness and seeming resentment.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Chlbn28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dandridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The place was spotless!....The pool, ect was great. Had very friendly staff. Was very friendly when answering our questions about the area. Check in was very easy. Would most defiently stay here again and would recommend them to our friends.

Room Tip: Although it is an older motel....the rooms had been updated. The A/C works great!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie L
Moscow, Ontario
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This isn't a fancy place. But it's clean, and has great rates. Excellent mex restaurant across the road.

It's an older place, well kept. The staff were pleasant, and very helpful.

Liked it so much we stayed there two nights instead of the originally planned single night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Drif10
Franklin, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2012

A great place to stay while visiting the North Carolina mountains. Clean rooms and nicely furnished. Nice continentel breakfast and a nice pool to cool down during the summer. The staff is very nice and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
dahlonega
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Just wanted to let traverls know that this is the best motel in the NC mountains. Our family has stayed many, many times and plan on trying to make reservations for next weekend, and have Always had the best review. We love # 20 when it is just my husband and I, and joint rooms when our young adult childern come with us.

BED BUG review what a bunch of %$#&, you need to write an apology to the owners... If you have any integrity at all , retract your review...

Please if you are in the area, this is the place to stay !!

Robin and Ed W.
Dahlonega, GA

Room Tip: no fitness center, sorry for the error
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank robinDahlonega
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I've thought long and hard about writing this. I suppose the long and short of it is this: Carolina Motel has a policy which they do not publish on their website or convey to their staff. Well, I have a policy too. I do not recommend or do business with people who do not care about Customer Service or taking responsibility for their stuff.
I travel to Franklin often and have always had wonderful service at the old Franklin Hotel. When I found it was closed I searched for another place to make frequent stays. Carolina Motel seemed such a place. It’s clean and has a pretty setting. I stayed there last month and it was nice.
I told the guy on duty that I would be returning in July. He said great – glad to have ya. So yesterday I called to reserve a room for one night (it’s all I need), and the nice lady handling the phones told me about the only room left. When I got ready to reserve it she informed me that she couldn’t actually take my credit card info because she was just a Housekeeper. I asked –“So you have no management of any kind actually on duty who can take a reservation?” No, she was the only one there. She promised that the Manager would be in around 2:00 and would call me back to reserve. I asked her to be sure –“write it down” – because I wanted to definitely get that room. Well by the time 4:00 rolled around I called back. The guy (a Manager?) informed me that Carolina Motel has a 2-day minimum, and nothing he could do about it. I called back today to give them the opportunity to fulfill what they should have done yesterday. I got a totally disinterested Manager (I think her name was Debbie, but she was in such a hurry to get off the phone that I couldn’t confirm). She was not interested, stating that she was busy; she didn’t care what I had been told yesterday by the person on duty; and that policy was policy.
As I said earlier, I have a policy too.
My complaints are the following: Dismal Customer Service; Failure of Management to take responsibility; Failure of Management to fulfill verbal agreements; Failure of Management to promptly return phone calls; Refusal of Management to attempt to address customer grievances; Placing a Housekeeper in a position to have to try to handle Front Desk duties for which she was not trained. Failure to keep a Front-Desk person/ manager on-site to handle customer questions, grievances, etc.
And the most grievious issue, and the one that will keep me from ever going back to Carolina Motel was the disrespect and total lack of concern for the predicament I was put in because of this motel Manager’s poor management skills.
I’m guessing that a simple phone call to a supervisor would have taken care of the issue

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Kim B
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The rooms were large, clean, and nicely furnished. The prices were good. The rooms were all painted last year with a big screen in the room. The breakfast was a normal continental one , bagel, toast, muffins, fruit, yogurt, orange juice. No milk. There was only one thing wrong with this place, that was no alarm clock (?!). There is an automated wake up call but you really need an alarm clock.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franklin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Franklin
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Mountain Valley Inn
Mountain Valley Inn
#2 of 3 in Dillard

Been to Carolina Motel? Share your experiences!