“Campground Living in OBX”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frisco
Frisco Woods Campground
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We spent four nights here. We brought a 30ft travel trailer to a sound front site B11.

Pros: nice view, full hook up including sewer, Good Sam discount.

Cons: Wifi is horrible. Staff was not very knowledgeable or personable. Sites offered little privacy and were too close together

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Paul M
There are newer reviews for Frisco Woods Campground

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at Frisco woods about 8 of 14 years in going to OBX. Always tent camp and while there have been a few incidents of rowdy groups the management continues to keep order. This year we saw marked improvements to the bathhouses and grounds. Even newly remodeled ones by the pool. Love that dogs must be on leash as some owners gave little consideration for others when it comes to their pets
Always a good experience
Would love to see some breakfast items available but understand that it is a gamble to management.
Will continue to visit and camp

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dmcbeanie
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love this place. My husband and I spent our whole Honeymoon here and loved it. I hear they have renovated the bath houses. GOOD! We stay int he cabins when we go. Beach access right across the street and when you get back to the campground at night you can walk far out into the sound.Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen F
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We wanted a quiet place to camp and this has been nice. They have property right on the Pamlico Sound and a place to launch kayaks. They have kayak rentals and a nice property with various kinds of campsites and shaded areas too. The folks in the office/store are helpful too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Allen T
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I’ve stayed at a few campgrounds on the Outer Banks, though was not ready for the scene that awaited me on my first trip to Frisco Woods. Redneck Circus is the only way I can describe it; it was a perfect storm of the campground overselling, having extremely small campsites (right on top of each other) and being a holiday weekend.

Pro’s
-Picnic Tables – Every site came with a picnic table (of varying age and quality), this was helpful for food prep and other organization.
-Sound View – These sites offered a convenient view of the sunset in the evening.
-Kite Surfing – This place was a hit with Kite Surfers; there is direct access to the sound where the water is calm and only at waist height several hundred feet out. On some day’s you could count 30 kites easily within view of the camp site.
-Normalcy – After the long weekend people left and it felt more like a normal campground; I would only recommend staying here during the week if you are able to get away.

Con’s
-Noise – The noise level at night was unbelievable, with nobody keeping it in check. At 2 AM people were singing at the top of their lungs, playing music (competing genre’s from different sites), driving around in golf carts / atv’s (drunk) and setting off fireworks. I felt sorry for the families with kids that were staying there.
-Bath Houses – There were not enough bath houses for the number of people. One bath house was the most disgusting bathroom I have ever been in; feces everywhere (along with the flies) and I felt as if I was going to fall through the floor. The other was much nicer, though a far walk and still not able to accommodate the volume of people staying there (three toilets, showers and sinks).
-Garbage – The dumpsters were overflowing with trash; yet another sign of the campsite overextending itself to make a few more bucks.
-No Beach Access – You have to drive several miles to get to the beach / ocean, which the gate house staff will not be able to tell you much about.
-Expensive – Very expensive for what you get compared with other campgrounds; three times the price, shop around.
-Fires – No ground fires were allowed at the sites, though people had them anyway and nobody called them out for it. The gate house staff didn’t have suggestions on where to have fires (which beaches) or the permits required to have them.
-Staff – The gate house staff appeared bothered to help you and were not knowledgeable about anything.
-Camp Sites – These sites were small, oddly sized and right on top of each other (the campsite overextending itself to make a few more bucks). There were trees on most sites (half completely dead) that posed an obstacle as to where you could park the car, setup the tent and set the picnic table. There were instances of people taking sites other than the one they were assigned, and the gate house staff not wanting to enforce reservations.
-Sound View – These sites are expensive and do not get the wind you would expect to keep the mosquitos away and cool things down at night. I heard that people staying at sites not on the sound got devoured by mosquitos, though luckily I cannot testify to that. There is also lots of traffic on the road in front of your site to get to the water and other areas of the campground.

If there are no other camp sites available, only then would I tell you to consider staying here.

10  Thank IchBesorgeDasBier
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just got back from our Memorial Weekend getaway, and stayed 2 nights at Frisco Woods... I will not be going back. If you go, expect loud music, loud people, and basically any female in your group will get hit on, or solicited (aka wife, gf, dog, whatever). It's a party campground with no rules... chopping down trees, no big deal, 10-yr old driving go golf-karts, no big deal, and ground bonfire, that's fine. The campgrounds are very cramped and it seems whoever has the louder music wins the party. Beer bottles every where, loose people every where. So if you want to party, this is the place the for you... but if you want a family-friendly environment... please, please try elsewhere, or your kids will learn how NOT grow up normally. Oh! did I mention the underage drinking, hm... facilities are fair, but the scenery and beach access is AMAZING!

But, other sites have the same access and probably more family-friendly. I give it a 3/5 because the environment was great, just the people were incorrigible.

Room Tip: P65 is where we stayed and it was part of the group sites, stay if you want to get drunk, smashed an...
2  Thank pijiotoe
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Low point of our 5 day Outer Banks vacation. Campground needs updates and people who care. We arrived on Friday at around 6pm on May 2nd. We didn’t have a reservation and didn’t need one. The place was empty, maybe 15% occupancy. Location was nice, right on the water bayside, so we decided we would stay 2 nights and kayak. In the morning the temp had dropped off and rain cooled everything down. We decided to head further on our journey. At 8am on May 3rd. I stopped at the office and was told they could not give us a refund, only a credit, only for camping fees and non-transferable. We couldn’t even use it in the store to buy anything. I would have no problem with that if there were a chance in hell that I kept them from renting a spot. Bottom line; we paid $99.22 to stay in a somewhat run-down campground for 14 hours. The $46.80 they kept for the second night must be worth more to them than an opportunity to make someone a loyal advocate.

5  Thank edalosi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frisco
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Frisco Woods Campground? Share your experiences!