Frisco Woods Campground
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
US$126
US$114
Cape Pines Motel(Buxton)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$145
  • Pool
US$112
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstent siteskite boardersbath houseaccess roadcamp storehave stayed here many timesair conditionerfun to watchlate springshallow waterlaundry areaocean beachcamping sitepositive sideseveral yearshatteras islandpamlico sound
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I reserved a tent site over the phone. After being told that I would have to pay for it in advance over the phone..I was fine with that. The man on the other end told me that I would have to cancel 72 hours in advance if I wanted my deposit back. After finding out I would not be able to make the trip, I canceled 6 days in advance. What the man failed to tell me is that they still charge you a 10% charge to even cancel. When I called to say that it would have been nice if they would have told me that, the lady on the other end was very rude and said "you probably do not remember, but you were told". With plenty of other places to camp and customer service like this, I will sure avoid this campground.

Stayed: September 2009
3  Thank gunnybt
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The location was great, it was on the sound side. The staff was great except for one middle aged man with a bad attitude. We went from August 7th until August 10th, 4 adults and 2 big tents and we stayed on S26. When we got the there before setting up our tents we had to pick up trash from all over the sites that had obviously been there a while. The bathhouses were not the cleanest but we didn't expect them to be but they could use some fans or something. We told them we were staying in tents and wanted water and electric hookup but they failed to tell us that we needed an RV converter to be able to use the electric hookup. There was hardly any shade on the sites that were sound front. Bring lots and lots of bug spray. This campground is only 1.5 miles away from the public beach and 3 miles from where you can drive on the beach. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We've stayed at Frisco Woods 7 times over the last 10 years in the cabins and in a tent. I agree with a previous review that the place has declined in the last few years. The bathrooms aren't always kept clean/stocked and the staff is not the friendliest. The last few years we've camped on the soundfront with small children. You can't beat the location and view! The kids love playing in the water/sand and collecting hermit crabs. We've been real lucky with our tent site neighbors. However, last year on two consecutive nights we were rudely awoken by a large group of drunk people who decided that 2 am was a good time to go swimming in the sound. We complained the next morning and nothing was done about it. So much for any "curfew".

I also think the campground is expensive and restrictive. We had the pleasure of camping at a national parks campground in the mountains of NC last month and the price was less than half of FW and the facilities were maintained much better. I'm a bit hesitant to recommend Frisco Woods due to the decline in customer service/upkeep. However, you can't beat the location or the sunsets over the sound.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank beachmomto4
Reviewed 11 August 2009

This was our fourth year of vacationing at Frisco Woods Campground. They have steadily declined more and more each year.
Year one: Staff was friendly, we used a tent site and enjoyed the stay.

Year two: We rented a two room cabin. The cabins were nice other than the A/C is in the room where the kids sleep which means they will freeze if you plan to cool the front sleeping area too. The bathrooms had locks on the doors and were generally clean

Year three (when things changed): This year we reserved the cabin we wanted (using Frisco woods Campground's online reservation system) 3 months in advance. We had a group of friends coming and wanted all our cabins in the same area. When we arrived they had given our cabin to someone else. When we asked why our reservation wasn't held for us we were treated as though we had no right to ask. We were put in another cabin that hadn't been cleaned. The only a few of the bathrooms had locks on the doors and the showers were dirty.

Year four (the final straw): We again used the online reservation system. We rented a pop up site. We arrived on the date we booked and were told that we had arrived a day early. When my wife explained that we had reserved our site on that day the older lady behind the counter acted arrogantly, as though there was no way that the campground staff could have written the wrong date down. When my wife offered to go get the printed out reservation from the car the woman acted offended and rather pissy. The lady then asked if we were eligible for any discounts. My wife responded that I am active duty military and the response was that they don't give military discounts because then they would have to give their campsites away for free...what?! That made absolutely no sense. Anyway, we go to our site and find litter throughout the campground. The toilets now have no locks on the doors and there is no toilet paper. The toilet paper was scarce for the entire 4 days we stayed. The showers were always dirty. They allow pets but they must be leashed at all times, that is, unless you are one of the workers who rides around on the golf carts, then your dog can run freely through people's campsites and upset their dogs. When they do, you can then ride your golf cart through the sites yelling your dog's name at 10:30 at night. This also happened more than once. There are no curfew rules posted so I was rather upset when my 13 year old son was told, sternly, to get back to his campsite at 10:30. Had he been walking through campsites or into mischief it would be easy to understand, but he was walking towards and about 30 feet from the bathroom (his destination) when this occurred.
If you still plan to use this place there are a couple more things to know:
The scheduled garbage pick up here is at about 2:30 a.m. This means that you will be treated to the wonderful sounds of crickets and cicadas chirping in tune to a large truck driving around the campground, firing up the hydraulics and banging the big green metal garbage cans right in the middle of a great night's sleep. The cabins are close together so if the neighbors feel a bit amorous you'll be treated to those sounds too! Also, the advertised free high speed internet is down more than it's up and you cannot access it unless you are close to the main building, which most of the sites are not.

In the end Frisco Woods Campground has a beautiful location and could be a fantastic place to stay but the arrogance and inattentiveness of the far less than friendly staff make it a place I will not stay at nor will I recommend it anyone else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank puddlepyrate
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We called on Wed said they had plenty of vacancies because we were camping in a tent.Even called on our way in Sunday.Checked in at 9am,told us our site was clear.Get to it and someone is camping in it.We thought we would just drive around make a few stops in town since 12 was the check out time.Now we are back and it's 1pm.No sign of anyone at this site yet.So we call and the guy at the desk said they should be there sometime today to check out.Now what are we suppose to do? He didn't offer to move us or anything.It was a mess.Around 5pm these two girls from Canada pull up as if we were in "their" parking spot.Come to find out,They were not checking out until Monday,so to avoid any comotion we moved our tent up one site and notified the front office.They said that was fine in a "whatever attitude".Later that evening around 6-7 we make a fire in a fire-ring that was at the site.It's been burning now for about 3 hours so its heavy and its hot.This older guy pulls up in his golf cart w/ headlights on and a flash light speaking loud and asks "Is this your fire?" ....I almost laughed in his face and so badly wanted to give him a smart answer but didn't.We said yes its our fire he proceeds to tell us its NC State LAw all fires have to be off the ground.We manage to get the ring on wood.Its a long story but the guy was a TOTAL jerk.Will we stay there again........I am thinking no.Unless they get new people.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family