“Check the Bed”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Garner
A TripAdvisor Member
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 12 September 2005

My wife and I were in town to see ColdPlay at the Alltel Pavillon. We like the service that the Sleep Inn offered as far the shuttle bus to and from the Pavillon. We had stayed at this hotel in the past with no problems. We checked into the room about 4:45 went to the concert at 6:30 and returned about 11:30. As we were getting into bed I found myself slipping into a pool of urine left from the previous nights tennants. I was appalled. I went to the front desk immediately and apparently the owners daughter in law was "managment" and I put that in quotes because this person had no idea how to manage people-maybe cattle but not people. Her response was "what do you want me to do?" I could only tell her that I was going to use the shower and leave the hotel, I wanted to wash the urine off of my legs. My wife demanded that a staff member inspect the bed-they did and confirmed it was urine. The owners family member reported to me there were no more rooms available but as we were leaving the hotel and demanded we not be charged (we should have actually been paid for not creating a scene-does anyone like sliding into a bed to go to sleep to only find your in a pool of urine left from last night-even more putrid) she reported to my wife she could find us another room. So she had to have lied at least once. We left the hotel without an apology and drove our 2 hours back home-utterly fatigued. We feel disgusted and will be contacting any authority that may want to investigate this incident.
If the hotel or any one that may investigate heatlh claims like this want to cantact me they can at
Richard M. Guthrie PT
GuthrieRMG@yahoo.com

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn Garner

Reviewed 19 May 2005

My friend and I were booked to stay 2 nights in this hotel in March. Upon check in we found the room to be acceptable but extremely noisy. The hotel was booked solid and you could definitely tell since the walls are paper thin. However, when I went to crawl into bed, suddenly the room became unacceptable. My sheets were worn thin to the point of holes in them, my comforter had something that looked like spaghetti sauce on it, and my blanket had what appeared to be dried mucous on it (and burn holes). My friend's bed had equally disgusting problems with it.

I promptly went downstairs and asked for replacement blankets and comforters. I was told they had no blankets and 1 comforter left in the entire hotel. So I took what I could get and my friend and I had to bunk together just so we could escape the food parts. The next day I left around 6 am for a meeting and left my friend at the hotel. When I returned around 2 pm the room hadn't been cleaned (they actually asked us WHY we wanted our room cleaned) and they still couldn't provide any replacements for the dirty blankets and comforters. I promptly asked to check out without a penalty and was given a discount for the trouble.

The clerk on duty was very friendly and was certainly understanding in why I wanted to checkout. I felt bad for the woman cleaning the rooms because I think there was only 1 or 2 woman cleaning the entire hotel. It's understandable that she can't clean the entire hotel by herself but the disgusting state of the room was just simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, I am ruined for life - I will honestly probably never stay in a Sleep Inn again.

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 13 May 2005

Although this is a newer facility (built in 2000), it is already showing signs of neglect. They just don't take care of their hotels in this chain.
Two phones are in the room - one is dead. A clothes hook has been ripped off the wall and a hole is in its place. One pillow was missing a pillowcase, and the other pillowcase had some disgusting stain on it. Thank goodness I had a spare pillow in the car for instances such as this. There are scuffmarks on the wall and smashed dead bugs above the clothes rack shelf.
The room otherwise was passable, and they had a good selection of TV stations (but no high speed internet). Give the place three years at this rate and the hotel will be a dump.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank joe02joe
Reviewed 20 August 2004

This hotel's best feature is the concert shuttle bus they run for events at Alltel Pavillion. I took my teenager and two of his friends to see The Dead, the Sleep Inn was perfect for our trip. The shuttle was convenient, the hotel is fairly new and well maintained, in an area with a few fast food restaurants, very nice pool and friendly staff.

2  Thank Travelmom29