“More than you bargained for: Obnoxious owner/manager, 4:30 AM "internatio-lard cuisine smell" & other "minor" annoyances”

WoodSpring Suites Raleigh Garner
Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you are trying to stay on a tight budget, this place will do. I got a decent studio suite, it was clean when I arrived, and it was easy to keep it clean (housekeeping is provided once every two weeks as standard). Rate is OK at 259$/week (that boils down to $37/day). It had a functional kitchen area a stovetop with two burners, microwave, fridge and a sink. The fridge was quite noisy on startup, fortunately I wear earplugs to sleep so I could ignore this problem (not everybody will!)

Valueplace doesn't provide plates or cooking utensils but you can buy a decent set at the hotel, and it's very inexpensive. It had a flat screen 32 inch TV, two tables that could work either as desk or dinner tables, and a queen size bed which was comfortable. The bathroom is nice but quite plain, tub with shower, everything worked well. There is a coin laundry available; the machines worked just fine, price was $3.00 for wash or dry.

I had a hard time dealing with the neighboring guests cooking habits... this hotel hosts plenty of Hispanic people, and cooking with lard is a staple of Mexican cuisine. That's fine with me as long as there is a good ventilation... Unfortunately the smell of pork grease frying inundated the halls quite often, and it would invade and impregnate my room... at times the cooking started at 4:30 AM... imagine being in bed and waking up to the pungent smell of lard burning creeping inside... I mentioned this was happening to the front desk attendant, but no luck I was basically told they couldn't do much about it, people cooked in their rooms all the time and this was a common occurrence. I was on my own. Not surprising, I can understand this comes with the territory and you have to be prepared. So, be prepared, it will happen to you as well.

In short, this is a no frills, barebones place, with a very good rate.The room suited my basic needs. If I had to rate it on the room quality and functionality, it would be a four circles. If I count the smell, it goes down to three.,, and the the two-circle "poor" evaluation comes mostly from the idiocy of the owners/managers policies... read below!

Employees were courteous and attentive, on the other hand the owners are obnoxiously cheap and being foreign, quite unaware (or impervious to!) what is expected in terms of service in this country. Being a budget chain doesn't mean you can ignore basic rules... There wouldn't be a McDonalds left if they followed this hotel policy book! I stayed for four weeks even and within two days of my scheduled checkout, I found I had to to stay an extra day, that is 29 days total. When I went downstairs to pay for the extra day, I was asked for a net of 59 USD, compared to the 37 USD/day I was paying on a weekly rate. Now let me point out that every single long term hotel I have stayed at would not change your daily rate if you stay over a week, once the weekly rate kicks in, it stays with you,

When I was told this, I simply refused to go with it and I said I would rather checkout as requested, than accept a rate change. I asked to be called by the manager who claimed that this was Valueplace policy and he had no recourse. I indicated that I had been at another Valueplace in the area and their rates were NOT changed, that the weekly rate was prorated after the first week, and this gentleman said they were wrong and he'd call them to notify them of their "mistake"....

So keep in mind this little piece of information. Read what is provided as standard at this chain, and realize that every deviation means paying extra money. If you can stay within the standard services provided, you'd be fine. If you can ignore food smells and fridge noises, that is....

Room Tip: Make sure you reserve with plenty time and if you want a non-smoking room read the policies and make...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lord_Lovaduck
COMGARNER, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Raleigh Garner, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for WoodSpring Suites Raleigh Garner

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Rather stay at a regular hotel. Paid extra for features I could not enjoy because I could not use it to the fullest. TV channels kind of boring. Front desk seems nice but has a mean side towards children under three. Was told last minute I had to put a deposit down then card was swiped. TV's are small and floors are hard-no padding between the outdoor rug and concrete. Internet very slow. Had to pay to use it yet gaming consoles will not work because they restrict the band flow. I know I would be happier somewhere else. Had to locate to this area for work that last a couple months. Very strict complex-reminds me of a penitentiary. Beds are super hard and pillows are super thin. Covers had CIG burns even though it is a non smoking facility. However, I liked the fridge!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will use it to provide better accommodation.
GM

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is an extended stay hotel. Everything is exactly as described on their website. I've stayed at other similar places and have not had a good experience with it. So I was a little leery of making my reservation with seeing the place first. However I have been pleasantly surprised by my stay here. I've been here a week now. The place is spotless, seems to be very well managed and controlled. Through-the-wall noise is minimal, the AC/Heat works perfectly. It's not fancy by any means, but it is very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: I got the bigger room with a sleep/sofa for only $20/week more.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
COMGARNER, General Manager at WoodSpring Suites Raleigh Garner, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for kind words.
My staff will be encouraged as we thrive hard to provide the most comfortable stay for our guest.
GM

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We ended up having to stay for a while but the experience has been great here. Lisa and all the others have been so nice to us. they make it feel like home, not just a stop and sleep place. The room was clean and free of dust and grime. I guess the only complaint I would have is that our beds weren't all that comfortable. But it worked.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
COMGARNER, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Raleigh Garner, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The room attendant don't wanna clean properly. She call the owner when you clean up behind her. The front desk clerk lies take pills and over charge you for everything. When she on her pills she will not come to the office to accept your rent. But will charge you late fees for not paying that night. How could you stay someone where and be at home when the front desk clerk lurking in your room when you're not there... There's no privacy at all. Money Hungry owner need to hire new management cause right now its just another dope trap..... So stay at your own risk... Just take the stairs to your room cause the elevator smell like piss.... I'm glad i found a better place. I'm allergic to filth and bs...Wish I would've read all the complaints on here before I spent my money and time....

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Leelee4540

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
We have many guest staying with us and they prefer our hotel due to level of service we provide. Sorry to hear about below par service you experienced. We have taken necessary action.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

My wife and I and kids just recently stayed at the Value Place in Garner and I didn't have the same experience as the other guests. I did smell smoke on the 1st floor from time to time but not that bad. We were on the 2nd floor and our non smoking room didn't smell like cigarettes. Now as far as the beds they were on par with extended stay places. But, at least there are rooms for smokers and non smokers. I did mention about the smoke to the front desk and they did look into it. I saw them for myself. Now I didn't have problems with bed bugs. The pillows were terrible like they put towels in them. We used or own pillows so no big deal. The front desk staff was pleasant and nice to me and helpful. Like I said if you're expecting coffee and breakfast then stay at a hotel that charges a daily rate and isn't an extended stay hotel. You are informed that no breakfast is included. Here is the shocker you have 2 burner stove top so you can cook. What a concept. I made my own breakfast and own meals. I even bought a George forman grill to make other stuff and used the microwave for other stuff. Now, if the say the offer breakfast I expect it but when you stay for $250 or in our case $345 a week for 4 people including tax and the internet. Yes they charge $10 extra if you want to use it and if you don't it's $10 less if you don't have a computer. To me again no big deal very helpful. The only real problem we had was one morning very early one tenant/guest caused the building fire alarms to go off and everyone had to exit the building in the cold and drizzly weather by almost by burning the building down as they fell asleep while the wife was in the bathroom. They don't have sprinklers in the building only in the handicap rooms according to one guest. Now, that's just sad in a four story building. So that's a strike against them. Just average but not horrible. Now as far as what goes on on the 4th floor as long as it doesn't involve me or harm my family and the police are there when needed then I can deal with it. Not for a long time but for short term plenty of tv channels and a flat screen tv and a decent curved shower rod and plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Most extended stay places don't have curved shower rods like this one. So overall just average but not horrible as some said. But, I guess to each his own. Some want total perfection. Stay at the Hyatt or a 5 star resort for that. But, for $250 a week expect average accommodations and expect to cook for yourself. Oh, almost forgot they do provide you with pots and pans if you buy them We didn't have to as we bought some when we stayed at a horrible Inn Town Suites in Jacksonville FL. That place smelled like an ash tray and it got a bad rating by me.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room first and if you're a non smoker you can decide for yourself. Ask if they have...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dicarlo2

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Value Place, Garner, NC is a very unprofessionally run hotel...The 4th floor is dedicated to smoking but the whole place stinks like cigarettes, it also seems the 4th floor is dedicated to drug dealers and users, the sherriff is on the premises at least 3 times a week taking someone away in handcuffs for one reason or another. The owner is very unprofessional, along with his wife, they don't handle complaints correctly, they just collect the rent. They are all about the DOLLAR BILL, they are nasty and unfriendly and in my opinion should not be running a hotel or any kind of business for that matter. As for the Comfort Inn, just next door, the same people own that place and it is just as bad and poorly run as the Value Place. Bed Bugs are registered guests at both locations, but you do a get a free cup of morning coffee at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank DARRYL L

Information provided is not accurate. We have many families staying with us due to comfort we provide to them. The hotel is managed professionally by the trained staff. We have achieved highest level of Guest service in past 12 months. Our guest appreciate "VALUE" we provide to their hotel stay. You are welcome to visit property and ask few guest about their stay experience, and l am 100% confident that the answer will be positive.