“A quick stop”

Super 8 Garysburg/Roanoke Rapids
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Garysburg
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This certainly not a fancy spot to stay, but I always stay here if I have my dogs with me. The only place that lets pets stay for free!!! I don't need anything fancy to just get some sleep and stop on the highway. Front desk staff are always pleasant, and there is a gas station and burger king right next door.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husbands family was having a reunion in the area. We choose Super 8 and what a surprise. The price was right and the hotel was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great. This will be the stop for my family members when we travel through the area.

Room Tip: if you are looking for a good night sleep stay here!
2  Thank jessie T
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I feel that our card used to save our room online was spitefully charged for a 3 night stay because we politely complained to the desk about the broken AC in our room 15 minutes after check-in on the 4th of July weekend. We requested to leave the hotel and stay some place else since online said they were booked up. Well, I'm 8 months pregnant and was not going to stay in a hot room. The front desk lady said we would be responsible for at least a 1 night charge, so we used a different card for the transaction, no problem. 30 minutes later, while at another hotel, we noticed Super 8 charged us, anyway, for the whole 3 nights using the card I saved to make the reservation online. When we called Super 8, the front desk lady working Thursday night on the 3rd behaved incompetently about the extra charge claiming she didn't see it, which was well over $200 dollars. We asked for the manager and she said she was not there, so we left our info to receive a return call, but the desk clerk called us back instead to explain again how she only see's a 1 night charge. For what purpose she decided to call, I do not know, because I wasn't trying to hear that when I was currently looking at the charge on my online statement. Finally, we got a call from the manager at Super 8 and she was EXTREMELY helpful and friendly. She fixed the mess that was made by the clerk and did it promptly. The charge was reversed and refunded. I was very pleased with the manager and thankful for what she did. Because of desk clerks like the one we experienced, I do not recommend online reservations if you feel you may be unsatisfied with your room. This hotel is not likely to book up, so I suggest walk -ins only. My husband and I felt access to our credit card was abused intentionally because we wanted to leave the hotel rather than switch to another room. Financial errors of this sort could place a damper on your holiday plans, especially when the error was completely avoidable. So, please be advised.

Room Tip: Make sure the heat and air work properly!
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Very poor service
Horrible experience
Save yourselves the trouble of going there
Front desk isn't at all helpful
They take upfront money and don't provide any service
rooms are not clean linen is dirty

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

DO NOT PUNISH YOURSELVES by going to this motel. The bullet proof reception window should have warned us, but we were tired driving all day and needed a place to crash. So I ignored the “red flag” warning signs of a motel which needs bullet proof reception.

Anyways, after checking in, we found the room was hot and humid, the air conditioner was not working, we called the front desk and he came in after about half an hour. He tried to fix it but couldn’t do it. He then asked us to wait for an hour more to see if the AC works! I refused, and asked for another room immediately. We also pointed out to him that the liens were worn and had spots on it, the shower did not have water pressure, and there were some foul smells in the room. He eventually gave us another room. But we discovered that although the AC in that room was working, rest of the room was as bad, if not worse than the previous room.

We were too exhausted to have another conversation with the front desk and tried to get some sleep as it was about mid-night and we were planning to resume our journey South by 7 am. But we couldn’t. The stink, the foul smelling bed sheets etc was just too just much. There was also a lot of commotion and arguments going out in the parking lot throughout the night.

Although they take full payment when you check in, they give you payment receipt only when come back to the front desk to check out, else they don’t! (Does it have to do with avoiding IRS/ taxes on rooms paid for by cash? I don’t know.) So at checkout I went to collect my receipt and the clerk gave me an invoice for TWO rooms stating that we had used two rooms. I said off course, we there sweating in the 90 degrees heat for an hour till we were able to get an alternate room. I said how anyone stay in a room 85-90 degrees with no AC or fan? But she did not relent. I asked the receptionist to call the Duty Manager listed as Ms Patel, but she refused to neither come in person nor speak to me on the intercom. After the receptionist discussed my case with her on intercom, she told me the matter is settled and handed my invoice for one room that I signed. Imagine my frustration when the next day I discovered that they charged my card once at night, and again second time in the morning!

Once we drove off from there about an hour or so drive south, we come across many billboards of motel chains advertising their current rate which was in between $30 to $50, almost 50% of what we paid! We got ripped off not just rate wise, but got charged twice for the rat hole!

My suggestion to the travelers going South, just dive on for an hour or two max and you will get a better value and priced motels then this rat hole and those traveling North, do stop a bit early to give this Super 8 Roanake Rapids Motel a miss.

My earlier experience with Super 8 had been acceptable, but this franchisee has ensured that my family and friends will not be giving any of our business to Super 8 unless they remove or rein in what I believe to be such unscrupulous operators who double charge their unsuspecting guests, cut corners and pinch pennies to make larger profits and give horrible time to their guest.

Super 8 Chain could do well and put in some random inspection program that ensures to us customers some minimum level of room cleanliness and service standards that are actually in practice rather than only in manuals.

But alsas, I don’t see that happening. Their royalty comes from these operators, and they will not discomfort the goose that lays them eggs! It is their short term profits v/s long term losses. As more and more people get ripped off by similar franchises and starts avoiding Super 8, the time to redeem their goodwill may have already passed them by.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Asme J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garysburg
Hampton Inn Roanoke Rapids
#6 of 8 in Roanoke Rapids
Baymont Inn & Suites Roanoke Rapids
Days Inn Weldon Roanoke Rapids
Best Western Roanoke Rapids Hotel & Suites

Been to Super 8 Garysburg/Roanoke Rapids? Share your experiences!