“Location Makes the Difference”

Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

In spite of being an older version of Courtyard, this was one of my favorites on a long trip. It is located a block off of the Interstate and we got a room in the rear. Quietest room we had. The staff was friendly and attentive. It is in the process of re-modeling and the marketplace feature wasn't finished at the time of our visit, and we had to go out to find dinner. BUT this is the only drawback which I am sure will be soon rectified.

Room Tip: Don't think you can go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1213pdg
CLTCGGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Happy New Year TavAlot23601! Thank you for staying with us especially while we're in transition to our new Bistro Lobby. I understand how much more comfortable your stay would have been had we had the Bistro functioning, however, it will be ready on your return trip. Thanks for your patience and for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel. Please hurry back to enjoy the finished product.

Travel with Marriott for all of your overnight accommodation needs.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is an older Courtyard that is currently under renovation on the first floor lobby/restaurant/business center/outdoor back courtyard area. When we arrived 2 days ago, as you enter the lobby, it is void of furnishings except for some tables and chairs set up for breakfast. The "front desk ck-in" is actually a table with a person with a laptop to ck you in. All the walls are gone and covered with temporary cardboard. One good thing: Usually, at Courtyards, the breakfast costs 10.00. But, since the inconvenience of the renovation, breakfast is complimentary. WE thought the food was very good, with bacon, eggs, bagels, toast, yogurt and fruit. The lobby should be finished in a month, they say.

The rooms aren't huge, but decent. I would say the next thing to be updated should be the hardwood furniture in the rooms and the bath area. The vanity area is outside the bathroom near the entrance. It is a bit tight with not much counter space. there is a coffee maker with coffee samples, but no tea. I had to go down to the lobby for tea bags. The bathroom has the old fashioned shallow tubs but the shower heads have been upgraded to double powerful shower heads that feel quite nice on the back. The bed is a bit too firm and the duvet is very lightweight and I was cold during the night. There is no extra blanket. The air conditioning unit is on the wall under the window and ours is very noisy. The flat screen tv ( 36 inches) does not offer HD service and limited channels. We are near the back of the hotel, which is pretty quiet, except in the morning, you can hear the freeway traffic.

I think the hotel will be nice when renovated, and if they update the rooms, it will be great. the location is very close to restaurants and shopping. There is a mall just across the freeway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Caniac

WOW Caniac! Thanks so much for the detailed experience. I'm glad you found us to be a great location for lodging. We love to hear that our guests had a great night sleep in clean and quiet accommodations. We're alomost done with the Lobby refresh and look forward to your return to see the finished product.

Happy New Year and travel safe!!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I make this trip atleast once a year and usually stay at the Wingate, but wanted to go further and decided to try out this Courtyard since they had a 69 dollar special in the travel book. Room itself was pretty clean and good sized. No mini frig or microwave which did not matter tonight but could deter anyone staying an extended period of time. Bathroom was decent sized but the rack where clean towel are placed was inside the shower. If you did not notice you could end up with some wet towels. Also there appeared to be mold in the corner of the bathroom, see picture. Breakfast was extremely good. Great selection and good taste and attentive workers in the breakfast area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us. I apologize that you weren't informed that there is a mini fridge in each of our guestrooms located in the cabinet under the flat screen television. I will make sure my team communicates this to new guests staying with us. We appreciate your choice to stay with us and look forward to your return. Thanks again for the compliments.

Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Gastonia given it was close to both the Kings Mountain and Cowpens National Parks. The hotel is located amongst several others, as well as a few restaurants. Upon my arrival I was greeted by the receptionist. He was helpful, even asking if I wanted a room close to or away from the elevators. The lobby was being refurbished, so there was some areas boarded up. However you don't notice the construction during the weekend, but it did get noisy on Monday morning at around 8:00am. Hopefully they will continue the remodeling with the rooms, as mine was beginning to look dated.

The room had a king bed in the center with a small table in the corner. The bed itself was nice and comfortable, however the pillows were harder than I prefer. There was one that was useful. The television was located atop the dresser and swiveled allowing you to either sit on the sofa or watch in bed. They also offer free internet which worked fine and was quick enough to watch videos. The air conditioner also worked good and wasn't that loud. The most unique thing about the room was the shower/tub in the bathroom. It had a dual showerhead which I hadn't seen before. Not sure what the purpose was, but at least there was plenty of water pressure.

There is a free breakfast daily from 6:00-10:00am. During the weekend they had several hot choices to include scrambled eggs, bacon, and grits. There were fewer options on Monday, but don't know if that was normal or they had just ran out of the other selections. There was one lady working the breakfast room on the weekend, with another joining her on Monday. They asked me what I wanted to drink once I arrived and met me with the coffee at my table. I thought that the service was very nice and better than most hotels.

The biggest issue with the hotel is its soundproofing. I could not only hear outside noise, but could hear people in the adjoining rooms as well as loud thumping noises of people walking from the floor above. If you are a light sleeper, like myself, this could be an issue. The noises stopped at around 11:00pm, but by sunbreak it would start up again. Also, make sure to put your "do not disturb" sign out before you go to bed. Monday morning the housekeeper was going door to door at 8:00am.

Overall, the Courtyard by Marriott Gastonia is a good choice to stay while in the area. Another thing to keep in mind, you get a discount at the Tavern24 restaurant by showing your room key.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wbullseye
CLTCGGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us wbullseye! The detailed experience you gave is overall complimentary and my team and I appreciate the feed back. I'm glad you were able to get a great night's rest while traveling through Gastonia, NC. We look forward to your return after we're done with our new Lobby and Bistro. Travel safe!

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here because everywhere I normally stay was full. This hotel is older, but is clean and well appointed. I ended up with a Jacuzzi suite which was great. The hotel had a convention there so it was full. Its conveniently located near the highway but without the road noise. It worked out very well for me and I would stay here again. Lots of restaurants close by.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CLTCGGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thanks for staying with us Brad G!! We appreciate you coming in and allowing us to to take care of you overnight. We are currently refreshing our Lobby to add a Bistro cooked to order breakfast and dinner. Starbucks will be available as well! Please hurry back and experience our refreshed hotel.

Best regards and safe travels

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Room was quiet, clean, and furnishings were pleasant and calming. Shower was fantastic. Staff were very friendly and helpful - cheerful greetings in hallways and common areas. Breakfast buffet was fine for a buffet with choice of eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, cereal, hot oats, muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, juices, yogurt, beverages...as well as made to order items. Continental breakfast was also available. While it was not complimentary the service was fast and friendly, food well prepared, and very convenient. Front desk staff were very helpful. Amanda greeted us when we arrived and explained the Internet connection...giving us a code without a request. She also called a cab for us ( The gentleman provided exemplary service) when we traveled back to airport. Kudos for making our trip very pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CLTCGGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us Chom1949. We appreciate your compliments about your experience and the service Amanda provided you. We look forward to taking care of you on your next trip and you will enjoy our new Bistro Lobby with a dinner option. Please hurry back and travel safely doing so.

Best regards

Charles Jones Sr.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Nothing special here. Adequate stay and friendly front desk folks. Were working on some sort of construction off the lobby. Quiet enough and slept well. Odd double shower nozzle that really blasted the water out. Ate at Waffle House across the street -- big mistake.and I should have known better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CLTCGGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thanks for staying BrownDawg. You missed a great breakfast available at the hotel! We are refreshing our Lobby and changing your future experience that should be completed by year end. We appreciate you complimenting our team that does a great job at our small town Courtyard. We hope to see you next time that you travel through our area. Please travel safe and thanks again!!!

Charles E. Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Comfort Suites
#6 of 15 in Gastonia
Second Ward
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Uptown
Best Western Gastonia
#5 of 15 in Gastonia
Eagle Lake
Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel

Been to Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia? Share your experiences!