“Fancy name-Fancy Prices-Terrible Food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Barristers Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Durham, North Carolina
“Fancy name-Fancy Prices-Terrible Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I decided to take my partner to a restaurant that was in a cute little town square and figured I would give barristers a try. The first thing that struck me is when we walked in we were not greeted, the staff were all in the kitchen type area discussing something. I finally asked a person (after I stood at the cash register for a few minutes) where we needed to go to sit outside. She verbally gave us directions and then turned around and continued her discussion.

So once outside a waitress came and took our drink order. We ordered an appetizer, (deep fried mushrooms) that were just ok. My partner ordered the fried chicken tender plate and I ordered the rib steak. The salad looked like it came out of a bag mix and was just thrown into a bowl. My partners chicken tenders were burnt on the bottom and had very little taste, my rib steak was cooked correctly but had a lot of gristle. And we did not get our drinks refreshed one time during the whole meal.

Needless to say we will NOT be coming back to this venue again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ladybug1962

Greensboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Price you pay is higher than price in menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Have been to Barristers twice now. My husband and I are from outside of Graham and enjoy going to the live bands being held beside restaurant. Food is 'good'. Nothing to brag about. Last year after picking up my food, then going outside where band is to sit down. Looked at my ticket and noticed that I was charged $8 more than the price on the menu. Well, it was so busy in restaurant that I decided to overlook it. Figured it was just a simple mistake. $8 was not a lot of money to give to someone if they wanted a nice tip. lol. Well. last night went back for another concert and ordered again for take out. This time it was only $1 extra charge above menu price. So I asked waitress why the difference in price. She said it was an old menu and that they are just trying to get rid of old paper menus. Not a very good excuse. Picked up my food and went outside for concert. Opened up my food and noticed they left out my celeries that my meal was supposed to come with. Here we go again. I went inside and asked why celery was not in my order. Waitress said that it was there busiest night of the year and are running out of food. They should've given me choice of something else or just told me upfront. You have to pay for your order in advance, so they have your money before you get your food.Talk about so much b''' this restaurant gives as an excuse. I do not recommend Barristers because they are Not Honest at all. Food is good but they don't know anything about being honest.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AlohaGirl66
Gold Hill, North Carolina
“Great little hidden gem in downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We found this little restaurant by accident while visiting the Burlington area, Barristers is a small, locally owned restaurant with fresh foods and offer wine by the glass or the bottle. Although the prices are a little high for the area, the portions are generous and the food is very good.

• Visited July 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
“Best restaurant downtown!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Barrister's has been in business maybe a dozen years or so, the food is consistently good and with a nice view of the historic courthouse. Parking is a little challenging at times, especially on court days, but if you can find a place to park and a table to sit at, this is a delightful place for lunch.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Always good food plus patio dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Burgers, grilled chicken, wings, sandwiches, salads and full dinners. We've never been disappointed with our meals. (The owner is usually in the kitchen.). A covered patio allows outdoor seating much of the year. Less than a mile from the interstate on the courthouse square.

• Visited October 2012