“So Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grandy
Barry's Walnut Island
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
“So Disappointed”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

In May of 2014 I was house-sitting for my daughter and son-in-law who live up the road from Barry's. I've always thought it had a great location, right on the sound. So, I thought I'd try it out.
I went for dinner alone one night and had scallops in bacon. Very good. Priced well and satisfying. However, when the children returned, I took them out for dinner at Barry's. Again, nice ambiance, good service, and prices. However, while the main dishes were good, the side dishes were very mediocre. My son-in-law's mashed potatoes were boxed and his green beans were canned. With more than several farmer's markets available nearby, it is a shame they resort to less than fresh sides. It was a real disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Valerie S
OBXEASYRIDER, Owner at Barry's Walnut Island, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Glad you enjoyed Barry's Good Service, ambiance, main dishes, and prices. I try very hard to give personal southern hospitality and service . As to the side dishes, we do use real Idaho potatoes most of the time, but when we run short we do use Idaho Potato Pearls so that customers can be served the side dish of their choice. WE BUY LOCAL tomatoes,broccoli, and asparagus,and melons from a farm right here in town. Understand that most of the produce sold at road side Farm Markets is trucked in and is not local....it comes from out of state sources including Latin America and for this reason we purchase produce from other US sources. We buy our green beans from a national supplier and their quality, cleanliness, and spoilage is minimal. I am sorry the side dishes did not meet your expectations but glad you were please with our Service Ambiance,Pricing , and Main Dishes, something we take great pride in providing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I can't say enough great things about this place.
Wonderful food, wonderful owners and staff. A great bar. Fantastic little hotel. I stayed in the Butterfly room. It was beautiful. The bed was very comfortable, large flat screen tv, newly updated and decorated, microwave, small refrigerator, coffee pot, fresh linens.
The place has a beautiful view of the bay. Every one I met was very friendly and made me feel very welcome.
Live band on Friday and Saturday nights. HUGE Military supporters.
Enjoy my time at Barry's very much. I hope to make it back to the area again also looking forward to future stays at Barry's

Room Tip: The Butterfly room is perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alexkb1225
Louisa, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped on a Sunday morning . The place was amazing . The view of the sound was good . I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and my wife ordered a burger both were great . The staff was great too so if you are on your way to outer banks make sure too stop

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We looked the place up just before leaving central va. and wanted a clean room maybe with some breakfast in the am.This was on 5-30-14.the advertising is misleading. the bathroom was terrible the toilet was leaking water and rocked like i was in a noreaster on a small skiff 20 miles out in the atlantic.Did not want to take a shower. no one on staff sat. morn. when we left. I carried my teenage son and my wife....his bed was so full of hair, i let him sleep in the truck for a few hours. You know it is bad when a teenage boy considers the back cab of a truck to a twin bed. If course, we were willing to risk it to have a little weekend enjoyment. I paid way too much money for the room, (the next night, we stayed at a another place with granite floors, a walk in shower, closet, and a view for 4 dollars more than what we paid at Barry's). I would advertise a spade a spade and not a diamond. I was expecting what could not be delivered from this owner. No one was available in the am to even complain a little too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brandon R
OBXEASYRIDER, Owner at Barry's Walnut Island, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Our web site advertising highlights the RENOVATED rooms. The reservation was made a late ,required two beds and a late check in , , we did not have a renovated room available . . Our off hours phone number and emergency phone number are posted on the entrance door We do not serve breakfast, nor do we advertise that. I checked the toilet and found it to have a 1/4 inch play and have corrected it. Our rate is advertised on our web site under lodging at $75/night in a resort=vacation season where most motels are charging $220-$300/ night and we feel our rates are fair and reasonable. We do not keep staff at the registration desk 24/7 because we are a small operation, only 12 rooms, and most folks leave early in the morning to avoid the traffic.I called and apologized to the guest who was understanding and we are sorry for any inconvenience.
Reviewed 6 October 2013

OMG!!!! Best hamburger EVER! This was old school!! All meat from the grill!!! I live in Virginia Beach...will drive for it! Oysters huge and plump! Crab balls outstanding! Waitress top notch! A nice, quiet place on the water to just relax!

• Stayed October 2013
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stopped here for the evening and dinner on our way to a week in Corolla. From the time we walked in Barry and Donna and their staff made us feel welcomed. Donna herself showed us to our very clean room. We both enjoyed our dinner overlooking the sound. The seared tuna was perfect. I am not a big fan of cole slaw but really liked it and the hush puppies were sweet and tasty. We met some of the regulars and they too made us feel welcomed. We both bought souvenir Barry t-shirts. Would have stopped for lunch on our way home if we had left later.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 381SandyM
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been staying at Barry's Walnut Island now for 3 yrs during my business travels up and down the coast of North Carolina. I even stay here for pleasure trips. It is a very comfortable place to stay with a relaxing atmosphere. Barry's and his wife Donna are people that make you feel right at home. They are the type of people I felt I have known my entire life. Their staff is all about customer satisfaction and service. The restaurant I give what I call the 3G rating...Great Service, Great Presentation, Great Food! The accommodations are very comfortable and with the NEW REMODELING and UPGRADES done with the rooms, they are quite accommodating. Other thing that I have enjoyed about Barry's is that you can watch the sunrise and set on the water while sitting in the same location along the bay. Bring your camera for some great photos of sunrises and sunsets that are complimented with the wildlife that are native to the area shores. Barry also offers Camper hookup if you are riding in you Travel Trailer or Motorhome.

Barry's is also located in a great place to see all the Lighthouses that North Carolina has to offer. Also the wild horses up HWY12 in Corolla where you can also visit the the first of 5 lighthouses on the OBX!

Very affordable for the family and the individual traveling on the road. I highly recommend visiting Barry's Walnut Island. You can not go wrong

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grandy
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Best Western Plus Elizabeth City Inn & Suites
Sanderling Resort
Sanderling Resort
#1 of 1 in Duck

Been to Barry's Walnut Island? Share your experiences!