See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 May 2016

What an amazing find! Staff is super helpful! The room I chose is clean, cozy, inviting. Each room holds a lot of individual charm and attention to detail. There is a covered porch right outside of the room with a table and chairs. This feels really homey, and hands down, one of the BEST motels I have EVER stayed in! Restaurant is attached to lodging, and food is wonderful! Do not let the drive through the mobile home park deter you from experiencing this wonderful motel and restaurant on the water!

Room Tip: Not sure about wifi as I brought my own jetpak.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
OBXEASYRIDER, Owner at Barry's Walnut Island, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2016

Thanks for sharing your visit to Barry's. We honestly enjoy meeting travelers that come to the Outer Banks. Donna's eye for detail and her knowledge of matching colors and accessories in her theme rooms is intended to make our customers feel special which you are. Our staff is seasoned and I will pass your compliments to them .Thanks for visiting us, come back soon

Reviewed 6 February 2016 via mobile

Went for dinner. Live in the neighborhood their rib eyes are great. Love the view. Went their to watch the sun set. Saw the Osprey feeding her young. Family liked the view and we sat outside to eat. Have been back a few times for drinks and to play the jute box and play pool. Vary quite kicked back atmosphere. Check it out!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2015

This was one of our first stops on a kayak tour and we were happy to have found this gem. There is a dock out front that we were able to securely tie up to for a few nights while a rainy cold front passed through. Our "pirate-themed room" fit us perfectly. Some reviewers commented on the decorations/lack of space but we found it spacious enough for all of our gear. The bed was comfortable and the shower was nice. The room had a coffee maker (coffee was provided), decent sized refrigerator/freezer and microwave so we were able to make small meals in the room. We didn't have a car but were able to walk to the Food Lion and Family Dollar store for supplies. We didn't have room service clean our room but they did provide us with clean towels, coffee and trash pick up every morning. We enjoyed interacting with the friendly owners, Barry and Donna, and the mixologist, Sherry at the adjoining restaurant and bar. Kick your chain motel habit and give this locally-owned quaint waterfront motel a try!

Room Tip: Each motel room has a unique theme, so choose one that suits you best!
1  Thank Kris_Chris-WG
Reviewed 11 November 2015

This was not a planned stop, it was getting late, we were hungry and ready to rest. Found on trip advisor, called, and was helped by a very friendly person. Arrived and checked in at the restaurant, the food smelled great. We were given a choice of theme rooms and chose the New Orleans, Mardi Gras. The room was small, but comfortable. The only thing we found lacking was a place to hang towels after a shower and a coat rack. Had ribs and cole slaw in the restaurant, the service was great and our waitress was wonderful. She had the most enjoyable accent. During the night, when the restaurant, which has a bar, closed, some patrons were a little loud outside, but it didn't last long. Perhaps a room towards the end would solve this. The sunrise was beautiful and I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: A room further down might be quieter when the restaurant/bar closes.
1  Thank Susan H
Reviewed 25 October 2015

When you come into this motor lodge with the prior experience and appropriate expectations, it's easy to appreciate this place. For us it was a colorful respite from the chain hotels on our long trip. It was our 14th room since starting a 60 day biking trip to Key West.

This is a uniquely situated inn that is a very good value with plenty of cleanliness, comfort and convenience. I've read reviews that suggest it was being judged against some chains or fancy places. That's not reasonable. This is a lovely little renovated motor lodge. The ceilings nicely expose the original wood (revealing character and authenticity, rather than poor carpentry; yes I'm directing this to a previous reviewer!)

Pros: It was clean and well-equipped. The caretakers are clearly thoughtful about guest needs with many details. It was also so easy to book over the phone. Staff were cheerful on the phone and responsive. It's an older property that is in very good condition and clearly renovated. It has character and it sits in a sweet spot with a nice water view and a convenient restaurant.

Cons: Not quite enough counter and floor space to bring in our belongings easily and we had to move numerous decorative objects to find space. Off-season spider webs in the shower and window sills. Off-season staff are friendly enough, but not so much as to be reassuring or cheerful; I'd like to see a smile when I arrive and I'd like to be told "come find me if you need anything."

Other considerations. These are neither plus nor minus and did not affect my rating:

- Friendly, yes; inviting, no: It's an evening operation that opens at 4 pm. The website does not seem to state this in terms of a "CHECK IN TIME" anywhere that I could find. But I figured it out on my own. There are no signs pointing to an office nor a note on the door that says what to expect if you do arrive before 4pm. Similarly, when I did check in I received all the help I needed, but no invitations or extra courtesies that most hotel staff offer. I don't count this against them too much, but I did feel like I was doing most of the work in establishing a nice rapport.

- Walls are thin in lodges: You will hear the person in the other room snoring. This is a motor lodge. It is the same in every motor lodge I've stayed in for all of time. The modern chains have better sound proofing and they charge accordingly. It might be a good idea to let guests borrow one of those sound machines at the bedside if they have trouble with hearing other people.

- Decorations are obtrusive. Unless you are a shopper yourself who loves TJMaxx, Marshalls, Christmas Tree Shops, etc. then you could be overwhelmed by the stuff in the room. I think about half of it could be removed and cycled into the room when other items need replacing.

Finally, I have one item specifically for the off-season staff persons: If you're not fully booked, don't put your drunken bar customers next door to your distant travelers who are not regulars. I REALLY appreciate knowing that a big drunk guy was kept off the road that night but I didn't figure it out until morning when I watched him drive off in a hurry. In the night I nearly called you or the police because I could not figure out what the hell was happening. I really thought someone was being beaten up. Forgive my imagination, I'm a city dweller, well-used to noise, and I thought it sounded violent.

2  Thank SpudlyDudly