“Barry's Walnut Island always a pleasure!”

Walnut Island Motel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Grandy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Engelhard,NC
“Barry's Walnut Island always a pleasure!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have eaten many times at Walnut Island! The food is always with served with very generous portions. Meals are prepared with great love and care! My favorite food anywhere is a great burger and you will find one if you visit! My second favorite is the hamburger steak! It is such a treat! Seriously everything is great. The atmosphere is filled with fun and laughter, You are made to feel very comfortable right from the beginning! Go with your friends or go alone, It will become your favorite place!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank VfromNC

Arlington, Virginia
“Restaurant Treasure on way to the Outer Banks”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have been going to the Walnut Island Restaurant for over 30 years and love it....My trip to the Outer Banks is never complete without a stop at Barry Nelms fine place on Currituck Sound. The Crab Cakes are sooo delish and the Barry Burger is outstanding. The gem of Gems is his CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE. I would not recommend dying without a few slices of this chocolate wonderment. I get one to go to the Banks and one to come home with. The restaurant looks out on Currituck Sound and it is a delight to sit with family and friends and enjoy the fine food, hospitality and this VIEW. If you want this pie to go call a day ahead.

• Visited October 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Barry's is a great little casual place with great food to match the great service.”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stopped in for lunch while motorcycle riding with friends. Had a fantastic Angus hamburger, with fries, and iced tea for under 10 bucks with tax.

Barry's sits on the sound and offers outdoor seating. During our particular visit, it was hot enough that we decided to dine inside and enjoy the air conditioning.

One of my friends had the wings. The wings are full sized and he said they were among the best he's had.

The place is very motorcycle friendly. They have wooden pads in the parking lot to put your jiffy stand on to keep it from going through the pavement on hot days..

• Visited June 2012
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Restaurant- Very Good, Motel- Poor”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

So, I will give it an average... although that is a stretch.

This is pretty much the only place you can stay if you are traveling in the area between Norfolk and OBX if you don't want to go out of your way.

Since we were staying there, we decided to eat there too. The food was pretty decent. The restaurant looks out over the water which is nice. My husband and I ate at the bar. I wanted to get the she-crab soup because I read so many good things about it- but they were out. Instead I got the hot-crab dip. i wasn't that impressed. The cheese clumped up on top of it, basic crackers, overall not that great. I also got a 1/2 lb. steamed shrimp. The shrimp were great and reasonably priced. My husband got the seafood platter- a huge portion of fries, slaw, hush puppies, 1 crab cake, 5 scallops, 3-5 shrimp. Very reasonable price and the food was very good. The drawbacks, where we sat at the bar, there was an open-duct a/c unit blowing right on our food- making it cold quickly... not to mention it was caked in dust. Take note of the stripper pole in the middle of the bar's dance floor- nice...

On to the room. My husband thought it was awful, but I will give credit where credit is due. You cannot beat the price $54 + tax. What they did right, they did very well- nice flat screen tv wall mounted in the room, newer a/c unit that worked great, microfridge in the room too. I will say, that you can tell they want to do the right thing but here is where they missed the mark... there aren't any night stands in the room near the bed, there is no where to put shower toiletries in the shower so you have to put them in the bathroom sink, no blinds in the bathroom and since you are on the 1st floor- be sure to get that curtain closed just right, the room was way too overly decorated and too much random furniture making the room feel cramped and busy. When we went to leave the next day at 9:15 (which, I think is pretty late in the morning for a motel), there was no one around to check us out... we left the key in the room (hopefully the got it).

• Visited June 2012
Crown Point, Indiana
“Barrys has great steaks and seafood reasonably priced”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Our family stopped by Barrys after seeing an ad on US 158 billboard. We were encouraged at a local service station to go there for the steaks and seafood and found the food and service to be outstanding, and not at all expensive. I had one of the best New York Strips I have ever tasted . My wife had a seafood platter loaded with shrimp, scallops, and local flounder. Our 4 kids enjoyed a jumbo pizza and Barry Burgers and they were happy campers.Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011