“Good stay, minor issues”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 7 reviews

Reviews from our community

dlcole
Apex, North Carolina
“Good stay, minor issues”
Reviewed 31 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012
person found this review helpful

My wife and I stayed at Above It All July 20-23, 2012. We chose the location due to its proximity to the New River and Grayson Highlands State Park. In general, the house worked well for us and we very much enjoyed our stay. The house offers good privacy, a good view, and good accommodations.

That said, there are also some things other renters should be aware of...

The directions from the reality company, while accurate, reference road names and house numbers that are not posted. Once you go through the gate, around the pond, and up behind the large, old house, you'll continue up the climb and see what looks like just a driveway off to the right. That's your turn, but there's nothing there to indicate that. Once you make that turn and climb to the top of a short hill Above it All is on the right and the only house visible. It took us two calls to the realty company to locate the property and would have had even more difficulty had it been dark. Once you turn off Old Highway 16 all the roads are gravel, and some rather steep, but we had no problems.

The house has a wide deck around the entire perimeter and a picnic table on the side with the best view. The trees and bushes have grown such that the view isn't what it could be, but it's still enjoyable. There were a number of flies in the area while we were there but that wouldn't be a problem in cooler months.

There are two bedrooms, one upstairs, and one downstairs, both with queen beds. The upper bedroom is the larger and nicer. We slept well there. It warms up somewhat during the day, but running the ceiling fans in the living area moderate the temperature somewhat. Anyone staying in the lower bedroom will quickly discover that the bed springs are *very* noisy.

There's an unfinished basement, which is where the washer and dryer are located. Each bedroom and the living area has an older-style, low-def TV with satellite. I was unable to get the DVD player to display on the TV upstairs but had no problems with the other two TVs.

If you plan any adventures on the New River I recommend Riverside Canoe and Tube Rental - see www.riversidecanoing.com . I have no associated with them other than using them as an outfitter 6 times or so and they're really good folks. They rent canoes, kayaks, tubes, and will shuttle your boats or vehicles if you bring your own. Their location is only about 15 minutes from the property.

If you enjoy hiking the trails at Greyson Highlands State Park in Virgina, about 45 minutes away, are outstanding and worth a full day there.

We ate one night at Pie in the Mountain in Lansing, NC. A quirky place with very good pizza and good blues music (and, so you know, no alcohol).

If we were to stay in the area again we'd probably choose a different property, not so much because we had issues with Above It All, but just to try a different location.

I'd give Above It All four stars, but my wife says it needs better interior appointments to warrant that. The walls are all tongue-and-grove pine paneling, with limited artwork and false greenery in various places. I'll still go with four stars; if consider yourself more aesthetically inclined you can adjust accordingly.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Proximity to New River and Grayson Highland State Park
Liked least: Perhaps a better TV - flat screens are cheap these days
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Reviewed 2 January 2012 for a stay in October 2011

Reviewed 15 April 2010 for a stay in August 2009

Reviewed 3 April 2010 for a stay in October 2007

Check-in / front desk Service
Liked best: The view and peacefulness
Liked least: Middle of no where. Takes a long time to get there.
Travelling group: Family (extended)
Friends getaway Older travelers
OH
Reviewed 27 March 2010 for a stay in September 2009

Liked best: View
Liked least: No hot tub, not many restaurants close by
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Above It All
Reviewed 25 March 2010 for a stay in November 2009

Liked best: Peaceful
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$145
Night
Week
Book Now
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing