“Inferior Customer Service”

Courtyard Greenville
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I read a few other reviews about the inferior customer service this hotel gives to its most loyal Marriott Rewards customers; and I completely agree. As the Marriott Rewards line was having issues with hold times greater than an hour the Saturday I went to book my hotel room, I called the hotel and they said to book it with a credit card and call Marriott the following Monday to have it switched to my open vouchers. On Monday upon calling Marriott back, they called the General Manager Brad Mills while I was on hold and said that they would be converting the reservation to the free vouchers. Now, all of a sudden I am being told I have to pay out of pocket. This is the second issue I had with Mr. Mills. My daughter stayed at the Marriott during orientation at ECU and the hotel confirmed that they had my card info for incidentals and the room was covered by points and then they charged her card. It was like pulling teeth to get the credit. I don't know who oversees Mr. Mills but his service in Greenville is destroying the Marriott brand loyalty as I will be cutting up my Marriott rewards card and Marriott credit card and taking my business to Hilton or Holiday Inn instead. Customer service is incredibly lacking top down and Marriott should not endorse this kind of behavior.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank UnhappyPT
TeamCourtyardPGVCY, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Ms. UnhappyPT,
I am very sorry you feel this way. What you have chosen to write does leave out the reason why I denied your request. With that is mind i am going to post the exact email that i sent you with names removed. This way the other readers can make a more accurate decision.

"Mr. Marriott's office has requested that i respond to you regarding your reservation was made for a weekend that has a restricted number of Rewards Redemptions allowed. While it is true that Marriott has a No Blackout Date policy, there are a limited number of dates per year in which a Marriott hotel is allowed to limit the number of Redemptions used. We choose, as do most Marriott Properties, to use these few dates to protect our busiest days of the year. In most cases these dates fall on ECU football weekends and Graduation.

The Marriott Rewards website states that "Hotels have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. Blackout dates traditionally refer to a limited number of dates on which a hotel could choose not to accept redemptions. With our “No Blackout Dates” policy, hotels will no longer have blackout dates for redemptions. Hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days.”

When your reservation was made we had already reached our limit of Redemptions for those days. Due to this, I am not going to change the rate to a redemption stay. I hope you understand my decision and that it does not affect your stay with us. My staff and i are here to provide you and your family with the hospitality and customer service that you and our guests deserve and have come to enjoy. Please let me know if there is anything further that i can assist you with.

Couryard by Marriott
Greenville, NC"

In regards to the charges on your daughter's card. I spent half a day calling and getting transferred around to the different various bank department so that i could find the proper number to fax the information needed to release the holds on the card. I did send all of the required information in the same day we spoke. It is then completely out of my hands and up to the bank as to how long it takes them to release any holds on the card.

While I feel that you believe our hotel has an agenda against you, i can assure you i have worked very hard to fulfill any requests you have made. I hope that you have a very enjoyable stay with us. As you have not yet to ever stay here, I hope that your experience this weekend will show you why that since coming to this property in April we have moved from number 13 in the Trip Advisor reviews to number 9. While that does not seem like a big jump, the scores are averaged over a long period. I am extremely proud of my staff for making such significant improvements. Thank you very much and have a pleasant day.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

From the road, you might not give this place a second look. The rooms are some of the nicest in town though for the price. Having had a couple of kids attend ECU, we have been through most. Our room had been recently redone. It was neat, clean, and more interesting than some. They don't show queen beds online but that was available direct and what we had. The bath does not fog and gets very hit with good water pressure. The beds are firm but very comfortable, and the thermostat allows for adjustments 1/2 degree at a time. Everyone was very nice here as well. This is a first call in my book.

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a very comfortable stay and is priced right. Definitely sets the standard for Courtyard.
-Staff was friendly and willing to go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Check in was easy and friendly. The housekeeping staff was on the ball and did a great job. The staff at the cafe were fabulous…even staying open later as our group wanted to order drinks late into the evening. We had just a few minor issues and they were addressed immediately.
-They have a very nice indoor pool with a hot tub, a great lobby for congregating, and even an outdoor seating area with a fire pit for getting together.
-Location is good, accessible easily to ECU.
-Beds are comfortable and clean, bathrooms were well stocked with towels and the usual items.
-Nicely decorated.

I would definitely recommend the Courtyard for your stay. We will come here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank l1i2s3a
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here with my husband on a one-night business trip.

What we liked:

1. Room was immaculate.
2. Room was very quiet. We weren't bothered by anyone.
3. Staff was helpful, smiling, and accommodating.
4. The room had a really nice layout. Sort of broken up, not everything dumped into a big room. The room we stayed in (king bed) was definitely more attractive than most in this price range.
5. AC worked well, which is important in NC in summer.
6. Large shower. Room to move around in. Faucet easy to figure out--this is not often the case in hotels.
7. Starbucks in the lobby. Wine and other refreshments too.
8. Hotel is near everything, and only minutes from historic downtown. Near the University and the freeway and many restaurants.
9. Free Wifi in room and it's a cinch to get onto it. I always hate giving away a lot of personal info about myself to logon onto free Wifi. Not necessary at the hotel. However, Greenville has free Wifi throughout the city, but you must give them your e-mail address and other personal info to access it, which we refused to do.
9. Price is good.
10. Several places around the room to charge phone or ipad. Often you only can charge your accessories at the desk, and there you are competing with your spouse. I liked charging my phone right next to my bed.
11. Indoor swimming pull and jacuzzi. Weight room. Laundry room.
12. Plenty of free parking.

What we didn't like:

1. My Starbucks grande latte was professionally prepared. But it tasted a little less delightful when I saw the receipt: $8. Next time I'll walk the few blocks to the independent Starbucks.
2. They had run out of plastic covers for the coffee so my husband had to carry it around the lobby and up the elevator to our room uncovered. Not ideal.
3. Although the AC was nice and cool, it blows directly onto the person sitting at the desk, which was profoundly annoying. I was trying to apply my makeup but had rafts of cold air blowing my hair all around. The air direction cannot be adjusted, so I had to turn off the AC to do my makeup. This should be addressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. A lot of university visitors stay here, and they tend to be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Ginny000
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at this Courtyard by Marriott on my recent trip to ECU. This was my first time at a Courtyard, but I have stayed at other Marriott properties before. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice this hotel was! The hotel had been newly renovated and was clean. I was very impressed by the bathroom shower. The shower was very cleverly designed in that the water control handle is on the opposite side of the shower from the shower head. While you are trying to adjust your water to your desired temperature, you do not have to worry about getting splashed with scalding hot or frigid cold water. The floors were a little noisy in that I heard the person on the floor above me walking around. I would recommend this hotel to others. I will definitely be staying here again on future trips to the ECU campus!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank travel12335
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many hotels with my job, and I'd have to rate this one as middle of the road. It was clean, room layout was decent, and the air conditioning was good. Only some small issues to note. The TV was grainy when the light was on (too many wires together), pillows were good and beaten to a soft lump of nothing, and the shower. .. that deserves it's own sentence. The shower was hard to get to a warm setting due to a weird handle. It had varying water pressure and would not come off the tub faucet fully. That and it made some great loud train whistle noises. Not the best part of the stay. Otherwise not a bad hotel, and I would honestly stay here again for the price. Just not what I've come to expect from a Marriott

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank mpr0317
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Myself and 3 other colleagues stayed at the Courtyard in Greenville, NC during the month of March 2014. The staff was incredibly nice! Every single person, from clerk to janitor, had at the very least a hello to say to us. The lobby is roomy, and they have a small restaurant. The rooms were spacious and updated. I recommend this, it's unclear to me how this is so low on the list for Greenville, NC. It's close to restaurants and the hospital -- though you couldn't really tell. It was quiet, and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business