“A very enjoyable weekend!”

The Inn of the Patriots B & B
Ranked #1 of 1 Grover B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hickory, North Carolina
“A very enjoyable weekend!”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at the Inn of the Patriots on the weekend of October 5-7, 2012. My husband and I enjoyed our weekend and would definitely return. First let me say that the owners are veterans of our US Navy. I am proud to be able to help them further this business in any way I can. They have renovated an historic home with 8 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Not all the rooms have private baths but they were very creative in the way they installed bathrooms in many of the rooms. Since I have stayed in B&Bs before, I was careful to read the room discriptions when I made the reservations and I made sure I didn't have a shared bathroom because I am not comfortable with sharing a bathroom. Our room was decorated as if it were a guest room in someone's home. It had a comfortable, queen size bed. We were treated as honored guests in their home. We were given 2 different tours of the home, one by Marti and one by his wife Stormi. Each was interesting and different, playing up the different interests of the tour guide.
We went to the Baker Winery at their suggestion. It was a fun wine tasting given by the owner of the winery. They were lovely people and the wines were very good. We were not charged for the wine tasting because we came from the Inn.
We also participated in the cooking class. It was a fun afternoon that culminated in a meal at the end. The kitchen is small and I'm sure they have plans for renovation as funds become available, but they have made the best of what they have and I was not uncomfortable working in the kitchen. We were given a small booklet with a number of receipes and stories from the chef's days of cooking in other places, including the White House.The lady who helps with the cooking, Kim, was also very gracious and willing to do anything to make our time there as pleasant as possible. We also sat outside one evening, lighting a fire in the little fire pit, visiting with some of the other guests. It was a very enjoyable time.

Room Tip: Remember it is a B&B. If you want your own bathroom, be sure to read the descriptions.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edith E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Demorest, GA
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here and it was a great experience! This is a great Inn with rates that are cheaper than going to a hotel! The house is beautiful and wonderfully kept. It was great experience to see the Presidential Culinary Museum and to be cooked for and served by a Presidential Chef Martin Mongiello! We had three Chefs cooking for us when we stayed there for two days. The house is just what you expect and MUCH more for a bed and breakfast with historically dressed rooms that were very comfortable and clean through out The Inn of the Patriots. Would we go back, Absolutely!!! This is the ONLY place we will stay if we are ever near Grover NC again

Will & Mindy
Demorest GA

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms to the back of the B&B and loved it! I believe it was a N...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Will K
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed here 2 nights on a LivingSocial deal. This B&B is a 2 story house in Grover, NC, a small town on the SC border. The house has 5 rooms. The rooms are OK in size. They were relatively clean, but somewhat dingy and unbelievably full of clutter. There were fake rose petals on the bed on and floor. Only the downstairs rooms have private baths. Be sure to read the details on the TripAdvisor site about the room selection and bath situation.

The owner is a retired Navy chef and the food was to be “gourmet”. But the breakfasts were very disappointing. For example, on the 2nd morning we had a bowl of mixed fruit (some fresh, some canned), a parfait glass with yogurt (Yoplait?) with a sprinkling of granola on top, and grilled meat (hot dogs). I guess if you were on a submarine, this might be considered gourmet. The “complimentary” baked goods that were promised on check-in consisted of a grocery store pound cake and oat meal cookies that were sitting on a cake plate in the dining room. The cake was “fresh” when we checked in on Thursday afternoon. The remnants of the cake were still sitting on the plate when we left on Saturday morning.

The “culinary museum” consists of several display cases with memorabilia from the owner’s career as a Navy chef. The historical part of the tour and museum is questionable, at best. Most of the public space is cluttered with trinkets for sale. Much of the “tour” of the house was a poorly concealed effort to sell us stuff.

There is nothing to do in Grover. There a small local diner. Otherwise you have to drive to Shelby (15 min) where there are a few OK restaurants. The best thing to do in the area is the King’s mountain museum (a real museum). This is a first class historical site. 30 minutes away in Belmont is the excellent Stowe Botanical Garden.

In all, there is little to recommend at the Inn of the Patriots. And you would be advised to take most of the hype on their web page with a grain of salt.

Room Tip: 2 upstairs rooms share a bath with the owner and his family. 2 downstairs rooms (Baby Ruth & Po...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
22 Thank 50michael50
Raleigh
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I don't understand all the 5 star reviews – this place is a joke.

The "Culinary Museum" consists of 3-4 curios cabinets full of "trinkets" collected by Chef Marti - who was only the chef at Camp David, not the puffed up White House Chef he advertises. His “autographed cookbook” is a pamphlet. We were suppose to get a free copy but didn’t pursue it when we saw the copy in the gift shop. His historic tour is not totally accurate and he is often “politically incorrect” – I cringed at many of his comments.

The rooms were clean but dingy. Our bed had fake rose petals on it, the room was freezing, and bathroom was full of half used Avon toiletries – courtesy of Marti’s wife who sells Avon. There are plenty of Avon brochures available.

The food was so-so. The best thing we ate was a cake made by one of the cooks – and it was from a Duncan Hines mix! We barely put our forks down before Chef Marti began his daily tour of the museum. So much for visiting with the other guests at the breakfast table.

I do think Chef Marti is very passionate about his work and history. He’s a first class B&B owner and museum curator wannabe. Not quite there yet, Marti!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have private baths.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
15 Thank Marcia B
Conover, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We received this as a gift and as I read the reviews they are all accurate, the good and the bad. I was in the area so I did not have a long drive to get there.Also I knew what Grover had to offer (nothing) so I knew upfront that to do any of the attractions it would mean travel.It is a house not a mansion. Yes, the shower and toliet are like single closets and if your big
I am not sure how you would manage. . Did like the Clinton memorabilia.The cookbook,yes is a pamphlet not a book.but nice. The breakfast was by a Chef, ,she was very friendly I enjoyed talking to her., breakfast was modest.:servings a slice of quiche,grits, fruit,potatoes. Note some of the best grits i have eaten.From the reviews I read thought it would have been elaborate?Yes there is a train that seems to come by ever coulple of hours in the night,if you like trains you will enjoy, if a light sleeper maynot. Met two other couples all had received their stay as gifts also. Overall it was a pleasant get away, Marti and Stormy were likeable. If your looking for excitement, attractions nearby, this is not for you. If you want to feel like your spending the night in your Grandparents house this is it. But you will have to drive to eat out.nothing is walking distance.and no meals except breakfast served. Did have snack in our room on arrival.

Room Tip: noise from road,ask for the room with full size bath.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank loretta8315
Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This was a repeat trip for us, and we were again treated as honored guests here. Great food, great service, eye-popping decor! Central location to day trips to Charlotte or Greenville. The comforts of home nestled within a place that still feels like "an escape." Celebrated a belated anniversary with this trip.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Oceanicus room this time. Very nicely decorated, but of the less expensive upstairs r...
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chris B
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This isn't your typical B&B. Chef Marti and the rest of the crew made us feel right at home. This is a great place for all you history buffs. The food was great! This is a cozy B&B where you can take a break from the busy life. However, is isn't a B&B that has the white glove treatment with extravagant trappings. The Inn of the Patriots is simply a wonderful place to relax and enjoy peace and quiet.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jonathan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grover
Hampton Inn Charlotte-Gastonia
Comfort Inn Shelby
Comfort Inn Shelby
#6 of 8 in Shelby
Holiday Inn Express Kings Mountain
Hampton Inn & Suites Shelby
Baymont Inn & Suites Gaffney
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross

Been to The Inn of the Patriots B & B? Share your experiences!