“Nice people and clean, large room”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hatteras Island
The Villas of Hatteras Landing
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were greeted in the office with a very friendly smile and the lady was very helpful. The room was large enough for the two of us. It had a small kitchen that would be good if we were staying longer. There is a king size bed, it did not sleep very good, Other than the bed, we had no complaints. It is located right beside a small shopping center, but there were no issues with anyone trying to come to the hotel that did not belong there. I would stay here again if we were traveling to Hatteras for only a few nights. There is not a fitness center, and they do not serve breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Corinne18

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My family has enjoyed staying here for the past two years. We look forward to the quaint and peaceful getaway that Hatteras offers, especially before tourist season. The Villas are ideally located for easy access to the beach, fun shops, and good food. So, if you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay for a long weekend, then the Villas will most likely meet your needs.

With that said, there are a few important things to note before booking your room...

#1: Understand that these rooms are privately owned. While the folks at the front desk are friendly and helpful, they are not responsible for the individual rooms. In other words, there is no "room service" to answer your every need like you might expect from other resorts. The handyman can be found working and tending to the grounds regularly, and housekeeping does an adequate job of replacing towels in the bathroom.

#2: I would like to point out that the upstairs rooms do not seems to suffer from moisture issues. If you have a problem with mold or mildew, then I would stress that the rooms downstairs are definitely not for you! I will admit, I was highly disappointed by the amount of mold and mildew that plagued our downstair room during our most recent visit. Frankly, the musty odor was unacceptable. I also noted mold growing on the grout inside the shower and around the sink in the bathroom. Furthermore, there are water bugs to be found crawling across the floor from time to time. No, they are not cockroaches. However, they are not a selling feature either. If you are a native of this area, then you know that these bugs are a common pest during the warmer seasons.

#3: Pack groceries. Yes, there are convenient stores nearby. However, I highly recommend that you bring your own supply of essential snacks and basic foods. Most likely you will be enjoying a few of the local restaurants, so you most likely will not be eating in your room. But, if so, the kitchen can handle light cooking. There is a small stove and a microwave. Also, there is a roomy refrigerator and dishwasher as well. So far, each room we have stayed in comes stocked with eating utensils, but it might not hurt to bring paper plates and plasticware along.

#4: The King-sized bed is more than sufficient. While I wouldn't suggest that this is the best sleep you will ever have, it's relatively comfortable. The pillows, sheets, and comforter all appeared to be clean. Also, if necessary, the couch in the living room folds out to provide an additional sleeping space. While the living room and bedroom are fairly spacious, I wouldn't recommend more than a family of four in these rooms.

The best way I can sum this review up is to suggest that you should stay at the Villas with purpose of enjoying the beach... not the room. The Villas of Hatteras Landing are average at best, but they're perfect for a quiet beach getaway for the family. Simply put, don't set your expectations too high and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The individual Villas are pleasant, but mold and mildew appear to be a concern in several of the dow...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I attended the Hatteras Village Storytelling Festival May 2-4, 2014. We spent two nights in the Villas of Hatteras Landing and had a wonderful stay. The unit (2nd floor) has a view of the sound and views of the ferry boats coming and going. the unit was very spacious and clean. I was not expecting the "condo like" features. There was a full kitchen, bar space, refrigerator, utensils, wine glasses- everything we needed and more. The linens were changed each day. There is an ice machine on each floor and even a washer/dryer machine that is free to use, though we did not need to do laundry as were there only a short time. There is a nice looking pool but again we did not use due to our short stay.
Some of the negatives we read about on previous reviews were not experienced by us on this trip. Rates were good, (AAA discount). We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.
Go to the Hatteras Lighthouse and climb to the top of this national treasure- it's worth the effort.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has better views of the sound/water/ferry boats.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WhitleyNewBern_NC
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I could stay only one night, but wished we could have stayed longer. Room was immaculate, comfortable, with lots of amenities. The staff was friendly and courteous both when we checked in and checked out the next morning. I can recommend this lovely place to anyone. It is super convenient to the Hatteras ferry, but is nestled but the water on a large property.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We were driving and made the phone call to this place from an ad in the travel magazine you pick up everywhere. We were running out of options and wanted to stay near the ferry for the next days travel. We actually must have lucked out after reading some of the other reviews. The guy on the phone answering our questions was a little quiet with his information but they had a room available and we gave him our name and told him we would call him back in a few minutes with the card number. I checked out a few reviews on my smart phone and at that time did not see anything that bad. Called backed and reserved the room. We had a nice room..did not realize it was a condo when we booked. The kitchen was well stocked and the wine glasses nice. I would have loved to stayed for a few days and cook something easy. The view of the sound and marsh was nice. You could watch the ferry come and go from the bedroom balcony. I would think the sunset might have been nice, too, but we got there after dark. The bed slept well. I did get the feeling that it was a tight run place but I guess being condos you would need that if you are running it like a one night stay hotel. Codes to get ice, cards that needed to be returned, prompt check-out time. The front desk answered our questions but I can see why some of the other reviews made their comments. I would stay there again and would ask for the same room. My only complaint...there were two dirty spoons in the drawer but I always wash anything before using from a condo or hotel. I guess it all depends which unit you get on how you will enjoy your stay. We were upstairs so you have to carry your luggage up stairs, could be a problem for some. I thought our room was 121 but it could have been 221 since it was upstairs...not sure how they do the numbering. It also looks like they have several people who live there full time or at least long time. I did see a cat in one of the windows of a downstairs unit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachpeach75
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This suite worked well for the 3 of us, my husband and I had our own room and our son slept on the sofa bed in the living room. The furnishings were pleasant, our bed was comfortable, and our room was quiet. Convenient for taking ferry to Ocracoke and just a 10 minute ride to where friends were camping. One lamp in the bedroom was missing an on/off knob and was replaced the next morning. My only criticism is the bedroom dresser smelled musty, yet the rest of the suite was fine. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Off Rt. 12 The Villas of Hatteras Landing is quaintly located near the ocean with access to the Ocracoke Island ferry and the marina. There is not much shopping or many sights to see however everything is a short drive away including the Lighthouse, Food Lion and restaurants. As for the facility itself, the staff is remote and distant and pretty much could careless what you are doing or where you are going. They do not have much enthusiasm for guests or their questions however they are polite and let you enjoy your stay. Our room was cleaned once without anyone making the bed and when asked about it, we were told they do not change the sheets for our week's stay and that the bed won't be made if anything is left on it. As for the towels they are only changed if left on the floor. Given that explanation, we exchanged our towels when needed and kept the do not disturb sign on the door since there was no point as I know how to make a bed. Furthermore, there was a rusty broken pair of tongs in the utensil drawer and when I asked for new they said the unit was privately owned and shrugged. We then went to the dollar store and purchased what we needed and gifted a pair to the unit. This explains the quirky! I would visit the area again but would choose a different rental.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good however we loved #106 with the front door going out to the pool and the patio...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple