“Perfect Hotel in Hatteras!”
Review of The Breakwater Inn

The Breakwater Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hatteras Island
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Breakwater Inn in early October again, our 2nd stay in the last five years. The rooms were very comfortable, clean, nicely decorated. The pillows were nice and soft and the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms were fully equipped with shampoo, soaps, creams etc. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed on Wednesday as we were there in off-season but the helpful desk clerk gave us options to eat nearby. The large balcony facing the fishing pier was a great and relaxing way to end a day. When and if we drive back down to Hatteras, we plan to stay here again. A wonderful small hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Breakwater Inn

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband nor I have never written a review before on any accommodations, however this stay was so disappointing to the point of disgust and sadness, that we were moved to write, as so many people go by these reviews, as we checked these reviews before we went, and because of them decided to stay at Breakwater....well, it broke us on returning! There are no words to describe upon opening the door just how bad the stink and mustiness and horrible smell in our 2nd floor room was, and no, I do not mean that "beach smell" of wet towels, sand, etc, like many coastal lodging offers, but this was overwhelming deep musty, moldy, dirty and stunk badly and Bugs! The room was not vacuumed and the bathroom I cleaned myself. We saw 3 roaches, and yes, they were Cockroaches and we could not even kill one of the buggers! Sigh...it was overwhelmingly bad. We prayed the bed linens were clean. No one changes them out over your stay, so be aware that after you spend the day out that no housekeeping service will have been there, as in most places, and you are not told this upon check in either, however there is a notice to read after check in at the rooms. We decided to try to make the best of it and hoped that a watching a nice sunset off the terrace and airing out would make a difference. We tried to air the place out and leave the doors open, in hopes we could catch our breath to rest. It did not work at all. Due to not being able to breathe well enough in the stench and therefore not sleeping, I spent my time out of the room and on the terrace until the wee hours of the morning, as sleeping with roaches is too much to ask, and we are not youngsters, so sitting on a porch in a hard chair was not easy and we stayed outside until we could get reservations on another island at a clean place, which we did, thank Heavens! My husband and I try very hard to be kind, and we are so supportive of small business and we love Hatteras Island and vacate there every year, several times for many years, and so wanted to try and like this place. We thought this was an isolated occurrence, so we were going to request another room, but after my husband spoke with a neighbor and they also had problems with musty linens and pillows and had seen bugs and were checking out that morning, we knew requesting another room was not an option and knew we had to find another place. Upon checkout, I told my husband to please tell them how bad it was or let me, as that the right thing to do, so they would know it was very unacceptable for any person to stay in, however he tried to keep things positive and barely mentioned it to the woman at the desk and we had a great vacation after checking out and getting a modest and CLEAN room on another island. This was beyond unpleasant and we could never recommend this lodging based on our stay, and unless they correct and improve, as it could be a lovely place, if a thorough cleaning and better housekeeping for certain and definitely an exterminator in. :) Have a blessed day and good luck if this is your choice and we hope that your trip is pleasant and that your stay here is much better.

Room Tip: Terrible and the Air Conditioning unit in the wall will not get rid of the odors and opening the lar...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Reston L
breakwaterinn, Manager at The Breakwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

The Breakwater Inn sincerely apologizes for your disappointing stay. We try very hard to give our guests a positive experience with a clean and enjoyable room. Our entire staff is eager to correct any problems that our guests have and I only wish we had known upon check-in of your dissatisfaction. We do make a point to inspect the rooms before arrival, however if anything was overlooked we surely would have been happy to move you to another room that was satisfactory. I am stunned to hear that you had a problem with roaches, as we had our monthly pest control service done on Sept. 24 and we have never had a complaint for that. Regardless, we would have refunded your stay if you had given us the chance. Perhaps in the future you will be kind enough to give the next business an opportunity to make things right before writing such a nasty review.
Stephanie Snead
Manager

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. We had originally booked the fisherman quarters but when we checked it we decided to opt for the soundside double. So happy with the room! We had our three children with us and it was enough room for all of us. Durning our stay 2 of our children came down with the stomach bug and after a call to the front desk in the morning they sent someone right away and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay easier and cleaner! The quality of service my family was shown at this establishment was phenomenal! And you cant beat the view! We will defiantly be returning!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Trvlmilfam08
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The location is wonderful...on the water, overlooking a small marina in a quiet part of town. Each room has it's own balcony with wooden, Adirondack style chairs and a table...perfect for enjoying a glass of wine and the sunset. We were lucky enough to watch a fishing boat come in and see the 100+ fish they caught being unloaded onto the dock.
The woman checking us in was very friendly and helpful and each day they have fresh baked "goodies" by the coffee stand. The breakfast was a fairly simple Continental style breakfast so we went across the street to Sonny's for a sit-down breakfast.
The room was large and clean with comfortable beds. The A/C was noisy but fortunately the night was cool so we didn't need it. I would say the bathroom does need a renovation.
We would stay here again! It is not your typical, chain hotel though...it is more basic but with beautiful, natural amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the end away from office and higher up...when we visited their boiler was mak...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pasrts4046
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here fairly often over the last few years and have always enjoyed the fishermans quarters where we can take our dog. I have recommended it often - though it is no frills - the location is great and the rooms have always been clean. This time I felt like the rooms really needed some attention and I will be hesitant to return or recommend without some assurances that the owners have put in some TLC. I would even suggest upping the room rate about if that was necessary to do the improvements - it is still a good value but I am going to look elsewhere for pet friendly Hatteras accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank smotley
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had excellent service from all. They worked with us to satisfy our needs. We stayed the week following Christmas. We enjoyed all our time in this property. The condo was equipped with everything we needed. We will definitely choose this Inn when we go back to Hatteras.

Room Tip: I think any room would be fine.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The last time we stayed in the Fisherman Quarters, I had nothing but raves. This second and final time we will ever stay here again was horrendous!! First of all, they claim they have free Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi in the visitor's handbook says it is inconsistent. It should say Non-existent. Never got a signal the whole stay. If we got connected, which was rarely, as soon as you tried to go to a website, the connection ended. The floor had not been cleaned, our socks got filthy after just a few minutes of walking on the floor. The shower was either scalding hot or freezing cold, almost impossible to get a nice shower. The pressure of the shower was so bad, I could not get the shampoo and conditioner completely out of my hair. My hair felt greasy the whole time. There was no coffee pot in the room or hair dryer. The mattress had to have been 10 years or more older, very uncomfortable and the pillows were so old and worn out, it was like not having any at all. I requested extra towels for the whole time due to my long hair. The maid never left more than the minimum of 2 towels, no toilet paper left daily either (had to go to the office to request it).

Room Tip: If you have a pet, find another hotel. The conditions in this hotel seems to have gotten worse. Ha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
breakwaterinn, Manager at The Breakwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. The Breakwater Inn values the opinions of our customers and always appreciates feedback. We strive to offer our guests a clean and comfortable stay and are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

The Fisherman's Quarters Pet Friendly/Smoking room that you chose is a standard motel room. We work hard to keep these rooms clean, however they are very basic. The amenities that you were looking for such as free wireless, coffee pots and hairdryers, are available in our Sound Front rooms. Unfortunately the Front Desk was not aware of your housekeeping needs and would have been more than happy to make sure you got the extra items you needed. If we had known of your problems we also would have moved you to a room that was more satisfactory.

Again the Breakwater Inn is sorry that you had a disappointing stay. We do hope you will come back again and we wish you the very best.
Stephanie Snead