“My family will stay there every year.”
Review of The Breakwater Inn

The Breakwater Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hatteras Island
Berlin, Maryland
“My family will stay there every year.”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I grew up in hatteras village and never thought id be vacationing to my home town but ive found somewhere I plan on staying every year I do return home. My children love the pool and my wife and I love the beautiful balcony view we have no complaints what so ever 10 out of 10.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank h20buflow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have been visiting Hatteras Village for about 25 years now and I have found that I feel completely at home each time I stay at the Breakwater. The staff always remember me (AND MY DOG) and go out of there way to make sure we have a relaxing and perfect trip. Whether it be opening up my room because I locked myself out, answering 1000 of my questions, offering local insight to daytime/nighttime activities or just taking out the time to say hello and chat or pet my dog, they always do it with a smile. My room is always ready when I arrive and just as I expect it to be. On top of it all you are in the center of town and right on the docks to watch the sunset or just to take a walk and look at the boats. Can't ask for much more!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lillington, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We planned a mini vacation so that our son could see the Hatteras Lighthouse in person, after designing e lighthouse for a school project. For a family of four wanting "little" things to do and lots of beach time, your place was great!! It was clean and comfortable from the second we checked in. Everyone we encountered was super friendly and helpful!! Everyone gave great recommendations for food locations too!! We would definitely return!! (One tiny suggestion....more towel bars or hooks.....with four people we had a hard time keeping our towels dry.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Toni F
Fredericksburg
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I often come to Hatteras to celebrate our anniversary every June. For the past 2 years we have been staying at the inn. Located right on a marina it appears to have a thriving fishing/boating community. My husband and I are not into fishing but we like that the sound side beaches are close as well as the ferry to Ocracroke. The lady at the front desk is always pleasant and has a warm welcome for us. The rooms are clean and upgraded for the most part(compared to some other hotels/motels we have stayed in the area). We always stay in the deluxe sound front rooms and of the clouds allow the sunset over the sound can be seen from your balcony. If you are looking for a clean place that is close to the ferry and good beaches both sound and oceanfront this is the place to stay. We will keep coming back here year after year!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Littleswthrt
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My friends and I attended our annual offshore fishing trip and stayed in the fisherman's quarters at this hotel. That section is a bit rough but most guys don't care as we are just happy to be fishing and away from home. After a great trip we had some of our fish prepared at their resturaunt and the preparation was good.
The real problems occured during the night. Sometime between the hours of 24:00 hrs and 06:00 am some lowlife climbed into the back of my truck and removed over 40 lbs of fresh tuna and mahi fillets from a large cooler that was packed with ice.
We have been coming to this area for the last 25 years and other than having our surf fishing ruined by over regulation and rediculous fees we haven't had any troubles.
We are probably going back to Cape Woods campground where we don't have to worry about undesirerables prowling the parking lots waiting for the opportunity to rip you off, that is if we decide to come back at all.

Room Tip: Try the new building and lock up your valuables.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were headed for Ocracoke but after waiting all day in the ferry line hoping the ferries would resume service, they told us around 3:30 that the ferries would not be running again that day due to the high winds. So we needed a place to stay for the night. We used to rent cottages in Hatteras years ago but recently we just blew through town to get to the ferry. So we turned around and looked for a room. It was Easter weekend so most places had just reopened. We looked on line and found this hotel and it was really nice. The beds were very comfortable and clean and we did not opt for the "fisherman rooms" which looked yucky but opted for the more expensive room in the main hotel with a view of the sound. My only complaint would be in the bathroom. The control to change from shower to tub was broken and I love to take baths but couldn't get the shower to switch over to just water coming out of the tap. This apparatus definitely looked old and corroded. The woman at the desk was really nice and made good suggestions for dinner too. If I had to stay in Hatteras Village again, I wouldn't mind staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dwamo
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Quaint hotel overlooking the sound made a lovely January weekend retreat to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Inn keeper went out of her way to make sure we were checked in and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014