“Family/friends all enjoyed their 3 night stay.”
Review of The Breakwater Inn

The Breakwater Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hatteras Island
North Carolina
“Family/friends all enjoyed their 3 night stay.”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We had a family reunion on Hatteras Island in July, rented a large home, but other family and friends wanted to join us so I booked rooms at the Breakwater Inn so they could enjoy the local scenery at Oden's Dock, have water views from the balcony, covered parking for their cars, excellent breakfast place across the street and top-quality restaurant for a great dinner right at the Breakwater Inn next door. They all traveled from the South via the Ocrakoke Ferry, very convenient. Rooms were clean, desk personnel very pleasant. My husband and I have a reservation for mid September to stay 3 nights and join the Hatteras at the Dock day celebration which is held every year, celebrating the recovery from the Hurricane in 2003, which has a chowder cook-off, crab picking, many activities for young children - fishing games, etc. This is a family run motel, open all year, operated by local owners who have lived on Hatteras a long time and are well respected. Hope this review will encourage you to make a visit.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Quite frankly, this suite was nowhere near the price we paid for it. The airconditioner did not work in the master bedroom and both units in the suite had black mold growing in them. The ceiling fans had, no kidding, about 1/4" of dust on the blades. We asked the desk to correct these problems immediately upon our arrival but only the AC unit was fixed and most of the black mold was cleaned out of the vents. My husband had to clean the fans. That evening I went to take a Jacuzzi and black plant material came out of the jets. There was also black mold in the intake. I gave up and purchased a bottle of Clorox from the hardware store next door and cleaned it as well as the rest of the bathroom. My husband also cleaned out debris from the showerhead since most of the water outlets from it were clogged with debris of some sort. The sheets and pillows had stains on them, the frame on our TV was cracked badly and my nightstand had dust on it thick enough that I could run my finger through it, and yes, after the maid came the next day, it was still there!

The only good things about this hotel were the location, the dumbwaiter, the pool and the beautiful view of the soundfront from the balcony of our room. We also met some very nice other people staying at the hotel as well.

As for customer service, our original person who waited on us at the front desk was trying to be helpful and was at the mercy of the hotel owner to get our repairs done since he was also maintenance, but later when my husband went down to chat with the front desk again, he had to wait for a new clerk to get off of her personal cell phone before she would speak with him--not even an-"I'll be with you in just a minute sir." Needless to say, we were very disappointed and do not plan on staying there again or recommending this to any other families.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here for 6 nights and we really enjoyed the view from our balcony. You can watch the boats leave early in the mornings and then watch them return in the evenings with their catch of the day. The room was clean as well as the bathroom. The hotel staff was very friendly. We would recommend staying here anytime. The only drawback is that the WiFi is spotty at best, but hey, you ARE on vacation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SCSunkist
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed 13 May 2009

An unassuming building was a pleasant surprise. Rooms were nicely decorated & spotless; the bathroom was small but well appointed. The rooms also have a small kitchen area with a refrigirator, coffee machine and sink and a microwave. The balcone was good size with two comfortable chairs and a table. A great place to sit and watch the a sunset over the Sound and the busy fishing boat marina below us [the Oden's Dock]. It could be a bit noisy for some but when we stayed there, by 10pm, the Dock was basically "closed up" and quiet thus we had a good night's sleep. The Breakwater Restaurant is right on the Dock, with great views of the Sound. The restaurant had an interesting and varied menu and the food was superb. A small but intresting wine list and friendly service. A local hang out with a flavor of sofistication. The hotel is less than 5 minutes away from the ferry to Orcacoke.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Explore-it
Bloomingdale, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We have stayed at other motels and Inns at OBX. This by far outshines all of the others. We had a deluxe room overlooking the sound. Everything was GREAT!!! Can't wait to go back. We won't be staying anyplace else.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LyndaDB.
Ohio
Reviewed 22 October 2008

We stayed at the Breakwater Inn in August 2008; I stayed here last year as well. I was not happy with the room last year and would have stayed somewhere else, however I was part of group and they made the arrangements.
The rooms are not very clean and smell musty; one of our parties was able to change to another room because of the condition of the first room. Our room was missing curtains on the two back windows. After complaining several times, I was forced to hang towels over the windows. The TV remote didn't work when we checked in, I complained before leaving for the day. That evening I found a used universal remote on the bed with the instruction book on how to program it to work with the TV. When we checked out at the end of our stay my wife complained and was given a discount. Two weeks later one of the other people in the group was double charged on their credit card. When they questioned the charge, they were told that we did not pay for our room. After sending a copy of our paid receipt they remove the charge. About five weeks later the hotel charged my credit card for the amount of the discount we had been given. Their reasoning was that they changed their minds about the discount and added it back on my card.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Substandard room, unauthorized charges on my credit card
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SCUBA4892
Mount Airy, NC
Reviewed 30 September 2008

When we arrived at The Breakwater Inn we were so glad to find we had found a nice place over the telephone as many rooms were booked at the Outerbanks. We were glad and the deck and view was spectacular! I would recommend this property to anyone! It is also convenient that Oden's Restaurants is right next door. You can walk to eat and shop which is also great!

• Liked — The View and the deck and chairs to relax in
  • Disliked — The scary looking hotel that is next to the nice Breakwater Inn that is part of the Hotel as well!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple