“for inexpensive with pets, come here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Breakwater Inn

The Breakwater Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hatteras Island
East Greenville, PA
“for inexpensive with pets, come here.”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

So we couldn't wait for our rental home week to start, and we came to Hatteras 3 days early. We brought our dog this time, which REALLY limits where you can stay!!
This was the only place we could really find, in our budget.
We were so cheap, in fact, that we stayed in ONE room, with 5 adults, 2 kids, 1 baby, and 2 dogs.
Yeah, we're cheap!

But, this motel met our needs, and gave us the shelter and shower we needed, so there's no complaints here!

***we stayed in the "Fisherman's Quarters", which is the OLD part of the motel. The NEW part of the motel is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! So, if you're NOT bringing a pet, then stay in the new building, and you'll LOVE IT!!!
I'll review the new part, because my cousin stayed there for a night, also, and we checked out her room.

The new part of the motel is nice, new, modern, beautiful, GREAT views, clean, cozy, and awesome. (for $149 a night, which is OUT of our budget!)
The kitchenette is nice, the bedroom part is nice, the bathroom is nice......the furniture is totally cool, too. The rooms are a relaxing, modern brownish color, and it's just.....nice!
Each room has a balcony, which over looks the "sound" and the boat docks. VERY awesome view, especially from the top floor rooms!
On the main door side, you can step out to the public walk way/balcony, and see the ocean.

The fisherman's quarters/ Pet section:

We stayed here. As I mentioned, with LOTS of living beings in our room!
The rooms smell a bit musty, but as with other motels on the island, they ALL smell this way, as Hatteras gets flooded frequently with hurricanes, etc. So this is to be expected.
The beds were actually not bad. The pillows were pretty flat, though. That hurt my neck.
The rooms were VERY plain and white. The bathroom was the same. There is internet, but the signal was too weak to actually go to any websites. But again, this IS the "fisherman's" section. Most staying here are probably just doing that. No frills. A place to sleep, get a shower, and go back out on the boat.
Other than it being plain, and not the greatest room ever, it met our needs just fine. Fridge, microwave, table, beds, toiliet, shower. Check.
The service and employees were very friendly, and the pool was clean and nice. There's even a little baby part at the one end.
There were no rugs on the floors (which is good for having pets) so with the kids swimming and sand all around Hatteras, it made for slippery walking.
I'd stay there again, though. No problems with it. Just not fancy or quality! But we're not looking for that, cause we're in Hatteras....having OUTDOOR fun!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank jjcraftery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chattanooga
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The staff was always friendly and helpful and was very knowledgeable of the area, a huge plus as no one in my group had stayed in Hatteras. The rooms weren't loaded with frills but were quiet, clean and comfortable, and the back deck on each room offers a great view of the dock, restaurant, harbor and sound. The only negative during our stay was a weak Wi-Fi signal. But to be honest, we visited Hatteras to get away from TV, radio, Internet, so this was not a problem. Ideally, I would have preferred lodging at the beach, but Breakwater is just a mile or so from a wonderful beach area. Several in our group also enjoyed the hotel's pool. For the price, everyone was very pleased with the hotel. Also, close proximity to Risky Business Seafood is a huge plus. Several pounds of fresh shrimp, steamed at Risky Business, were a delight.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I've never been to the Outer Banks before and was there for a wedding at one of the many rental properties along the shore. I was actually the DJ for the wedding and the client had suggested and made arrangements for me to stay at the Breakwater Inn. I was really happy with the arrangements.

The office looked like it had been recently redone as everything looked fresh and brand new. The staff was welcoming and warm and check in was a hassle-free process. My room was on the first floor - an easy stair climb up but they also provide a dumb waiter for luggage and such.

Upon entering the room, I found it clean, well appointed and smell-free (this was going to be important to me). It had a small refrigerator, microwave, cabinets and kitchen sink/counter. Carpet and bed spreads seemed clean and the beds were comfortable and for a hotel not too bad at all...I'm kind of used to a Temperpedic so for me personally, it was a little disconcerting although I did get a good night's sleep.

The view from the room's balcony was wonderful with fishing/leisure vessels docked right outside. The weekend I was there, there was a "Day of the Docks" festival celebrating life at sea so I was treated to live music, wonderful food smells and a festive family atmosphere. They have a nice swimming pool albeit the water a tad chilly - it was September though and I still enjoyed it.

Recommendations: Hatteras is wayyyy down there once you get onto the Outer Banks. Be sure your vehicle is filled with gas or you will pay on average .40 per gallon higher then normal and the whole town pretty much shuts down after 9:00pm so finding gas after hours will be almost impossible. There are pretty long stretches between towns so be sure you're well fueled.

Must visit the Gingerbread House for GREAT pizza with unique toppings and to die for doughnuts/pastries. The Sandbar & Grille is a great place to get a cold beer or glass of wine. Be forewarned, they do not serve liquor of any kind at any of the Hatteras Island bars. Lot's of siteseeing attractions nearby (Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Avon Pier, Kitty Hawk) so plan to spend a few minutes at these sites along the way.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Dazzzleu
Reidsville
Reviewed 30 August 2009

It was a neat, clean, very nice place to stay. It's not high-end, but a great bargain for the money. The room in the Fisherman's Quarters was a little musty upon arrival, but a little Febreeze took care of that. The staff were amazing. They let check in early, and were available if we needed anything like extra towels. The cleaning staff were friendly and did a great job, and were more happy to help when we asked them not to open the door if we weren't there (we were afraid our cats would escape). The cats enjoyed the tile floors, and we were extremely grateful to be able to bring them with us, for a one time $30.00 pet fee (most places charge by the night). It is a nice family atmosphere for children. There isn't a lot going on at night; it is a fishing village, but we were able to keep them occupied in the swimming pool. And it was great to not have to worry about who was outside your door. The furnishings were extraordinary. My brother wanted to bring the bed home on top of the Cadillac! The beds and dressers looked new and well taken care of. There was a microwave and small, dorm like fridge in the room, and both were clean upon arrival. The staff had also provided an extra cot because we had 4 adults, 2 children and 2 cats, but we were not cramped together. It was pretty spacious. The docks were well maintained and a nice place to look at the boats, seagulls, pelicans, and to see what the fishermen had caught. The fishermen were nice, hometown guys, and even explained what fish they caught, and what they were cleaning. They even let my niece throw the remains to the crabs. Public beach access was less than a mile away, and the beaches were well maintained and clean. The prices of eating out were normal for a vacation destination, but there were no grocery store chains on the island. So, bring your groceries with you. There were small stores, but they close early (8-9pm).The inn is close the the Ocracoke Free Ferry landing, and they will let you do round trip for free, with or without a car. Don't be surprised if you see the staff fishing while you wait. This is not a party destination; this is a great family, beach atmosphere. The Bodie Island, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke lighthouses were not far away. We booked the Inn very last minute, but they were still able to accommodate us.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank critterbug84
North Carolina
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We had a family reunion on Hatteras Island in July, rented a large home, but other family and friends wanted to join us so I booked rooms at the Breakwater Inn so they could enjoy the local scenery at Oden's Dock, have water views from the balcony, covered parking for their cars, excellent breakfast place across the street and top-quality restaurant for a great dinner right at the Breakwater Inn next door. They all traveled from the South via the Ocrakoke Ferry, very convenient. Rooms were clean, desk personnel very pleasant. My husband and I have a reservation for mid September to stay 3 nights and join the Hatteras at the Dock day celebration which is held every year, celebrating the recovery from the Hurricane in 2003, which has a chowder cook-off, crab picking, many activities for young children - fishing games, etc. This is a family run motel, open all year, operated by local owners who have lived on Hatteras a long time and are well respected. Hope this review will encourage you to make a visit.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Quite frankly, this suite was nowhere near the price we paid for it. The airconditioner did not work in the master bedroom and both units in the suite had black mold growing in them. The ceiling fans had, no kidding, about 1/4" of dust on the blades. We asked the desk to correct these problems immediately upon our arrival but only the AC unit was fixed and most of the black mold was cleaned out of the vents. My husband had to clean the fans. That evening I went to take a Jacuzzi and black plant material came out of the jets. There was also black mold in the intake. I gave up and purchased a bottle of Clorox from the hardware store next door and cleaned it as well as the rest of the bathroom. My husband also cleaned out debris from the showerhead since most of the water outlets from it were clogged with debris of some sort. The sheets and pillows had stains on them, the frame on our TV was cracked badly and my nightstand had dust on it thick enough that I could run my finger through it, and yes, after the maid came the next day, it was still there!

The only good things about this hotel were the location, the dumbwaiter, the pool and the beautiful view of the soundfront from the balcony of our room. We also met some very nice other people staying at the hotel as well.

As for customer service, our original person who waited on us at the front desk was trying to be helpful and was at the mercy of the hotel owner to get our repairs done since he was also maintenance, but later when my husband went down to chat with the front desk again, he had to wait for a new clerk to get off of her personal cell phone before she would speak with him--not even an-"I'll be with you in just a minute sir." Needless to say, we were very disappointed and do not plan on staying there again or recommending this to any other families.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here for 6 nights and we really enjoyed the view from our balcony. You can watch the boats leave early in the mornings and then watch them return in the evenings with their catch of the day. The room was clean as well as the bathroom. The hotel staff was very friendly. We would recommend staying here anytime. The only drawback is that the WiFi is spotty at best, but hey, you ARE on vacation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple