“Needed a couple nights with the RV in Hatteras, NC”

Hatteras Sands Campground
Reviewed 9 August 2012

A very pleasant surprise - understand Hatteras Sands is under new management. Very reasonable rates. Nicer than the alternatives, so we stayed an extra night. Full hookups. Level concrete pads + grass for tents. Above average swimming pool. Canals are a plus & have fish.

Sound-side harbors are walking distance & the ocean beach is a longish walk.

Only negative: No shade trees - but the Hatteras area really doesn't have trees.

Room Tip: Scope out the available RV sites when you check in. Sites are pretty uniform, but for long rigs, man...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank wboehmer

Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

We were camping at Frisco Woods for 3 days after wife left the reunion rental machine on Hatteras. Hatteras sands was cheaper and friendlier than FW. We have an vintage airstream which allowed us to sleep and cook. The restrooms were clean and air-conditioned, no sand, no pine needles. We were there just after the 4th holiday and there were perhaps

10 large campers there. There was an ocean breeze which kept the bugs away. We enjoyed the pool which we were told was being upgraded. A smaller pool and spa were not operational. The couple who are the managers were very friendly and helpful and can only care for the facility within the OWNERS budget. The park was recently purchased. The ocracoke ferry is 1000 yards away and beach access is not much further as is the graveyard of the Atlantic museum. Coffee shop, produce, fuel, hardware are all close by. At $32.00 per nite you couldn't beat this place. The outer banks are remote, hurricane season is 6/1-11/1. It's the south , it's hot, can get buggy. It's not Vegas, NYC, or Miami. We had a great time here. So if you are a whiner like to complain or don't like roughing it please stay away, we don't want to meet you

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Kkatz1
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My family & I stayed here last August 2011. I was very surprised after reading the reviews once we arrived. We thought that the place was very nice, clean, & mosquito free. Patti & Jackson were very helpful with everything. They brought over fresh fish, gave us extra fishing lures, gave my dad who wasn't feeling well bullion cubes & icees, they gave my daughter baby sunglasses from the lobby store too. They were willing to lend a helping hand whenever it was needed. Even tho we didn't get bit by any mosquitoes a truck came thru & sprayed for them. The bathrooms were always clean & the grounds were very clean. We enjoyed laying in the game room, fishing, playing volley ball & the pool/hot tub was MARVELOUS!!!!!! My mom loves the ocean but it is a little too rough for her so whenever we stay somewhere it has to have a pool & this pool was very spacious & clean & just wonderful. My mother & I would go on the lobby porch & use the porch swing they had to rock my daughter to sleep. The breeze & the wind chimes were soothing. Our trip was cut short due to the hurricane but they kept us up to date on the news & when we should evacuate. We had a great time here & will stay again this year (Just not so close to hurricane season). So please go see for yourself & don't always rely on others opinions. Again we wanted to say thanks to Patti & Jackson for all that you did to make our "cut short" vacation a wonderful time.

1  Thank Olivia B
Reviewed 5 October 2011

After reading the reviews from as recent as 2009, I was only going here for the location. I usually stay just south of Oregon Inlet but wanted to try somehting different. The first impression I got was not exactly good because of the size and closeness of the sites. The sites are small and have very little room between them. However, I did not plan on spending many waking hours at the campground so really didn't care. Then I met the Taylors.

You just couldn't make this couple up. To say they made our week enjoyable is an understatement. I am used to most campground management to be very draconian and disruptive to most attempts at fun so I did not know how to take the Taylors at first. They met us as if their only reason for being there at all was because we were on our way. They went out of their way to make sure we had a WONDERFUL time there. They stopped and made sure we had everything. They gave us great scoop on fishing and where to find things out in town. They took it upon themselves to show the insurance adjuster to my pop-up while I was on the beach (we were a$$-ended in DC on our way to the campground). The kids caught soooo many fish in the canals that they were ecstatic! We had guests with us who had never been to OBX and are now HOOKED!

Yes, the bathrooms need some updating but everything was serviceable and well maintained. The pool was as it should be and the tightness of the sites was obviated by the Taylors making sure that incoming campers were spaced as far apart as possible. For as much as we bled over onto the empty site next to us, I was expecting to be charged for it (and would have at other parks, no doubt).

We are staunch supporters of the place now and plan on returning. We were made to feel at home - even like family. The Taylors are wonderful people who guenuinely cared if the kids (and us adults) had fun. I can't begin to thank them enough. Once they updating is finished, this place will EASILY garner 5-star reviews.

Room Tip: Call ahead and tell them what you are looking for and what your group is made of - if you have very...
4  Thank Keith C
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We absolutely enjoyed this campground!! The bathrooms were clean and the pool was great! Patty and Jackson were such nice people- so happy and accomidating. We loved the fishing you could do from the canal behind the camper (my son caught a shark) and that it was 2 minutes from the Ocracoke ferry. We are definately going back and bringing friends. The price is unbeatable, you can't go wrong!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 'island
2  Thank Bonnie D
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Patty & Jackson are the managers here and are the hardest working people I have met. The campground has seen better times but they are determined to return it to it's hey day. The pool is big enough and clean. The bathrooms are dated but functional. Hatteras Sands is in the middle of Hatteras Village. You can walk or bike to almost anything you want to see in Hatteras Village. The ferry to Ocracoke Island is very close. We took a day trip to there. The beaches are within reach. Before this visit, I've been to other campgrounds on Hatteras Island. The others, in my opinion, really didn't care if I had a good time. They had my money. Patty & Jackson acted interested. They visited the campers and interacted with them. The campground is not perfect but Patty & Jackson are working to make it so.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BubbaJePH
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We were extremely greatful we could get into one of the cabins last minute for 4th of July weekend. The price was decent for an air-conditioned cabin, no kitchen or bathroom but had a fridge and microwave, and a grill outside, so just what we needed. We were traveling with our 13 month old daughter, and wanted to make sure she was comfortable when the temps hit 90+. It's true that the place was for sale, and could have used a bit of work. The staff was super-friendly, from the time we called for a reservation to the minute we left. They were very helpful in aiding us to navigate around the area, and had several great suggestions for restaurants and things to do. We loved it so much, we ended up back there 2 more times in the same summer. We're already starting to plan our vacation there for next summer!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family