“Nice common area decor; thin walls”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Havelock
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I must acknowledge that I booked this hotel through a bidding website that blinds the name of the hotel until a bid is accepted. I was bidding on what I thought was a hotel in New Bern, but was given this hotel, which is located in Havelock and is close to a 20 minute drive from downtown New Bern. So, I was disappointed with the hotel sight unseen. The hotel is new and its common areas are nicely decorated. The rooms are adequately sized and the decor is modern; however, it's a very cheap modern. For example, the shower was enclosed with large glass panels and a glass door; both leaked all over the bathroom floor despite what appeared to be repetitive and messy attempts to caulk over the cracks. The room doors were fitted with the bane of any hotel - hydraulic door closers which forced the doors shut with a bang. Through the thin walls, the slams of doors echoed throughout the night along with conversations in the hallway of the many contractors coming and going on beer runs.

On the plus side, the front desk receptionist was extremely nice and welcoming. The complimentary coffee and breakfast were good. The complimentary bottled water was a very nice touch. The night we arrived, a large flock of swallows migrated in and began fervently building mud nests underneath the roof of the portico. Obviously, the hotel was erected on their nesting grounds and I sincerely hope the management does not try to exterminate these birds. They are very pretty and their presence adds a nice touch to the property.

Good luck finding a decent hotel in Havelock. We ate at the Carolina Diner directly in front of the hotel, which seemed to be the best choice in town, which is a very sad statement. The food and presentation were similar to a diner although it was located in what appeared to be a refurbished Applebee's building.

All in all, not a particularly pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cupecoy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Dear cupecoy,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. On the other hand, please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Lana, lady that works breakfast is amazing. She kept everything well stocked and extremely clean. Best service I have ever experienced.
Stuf at the front desk was welcoming and helpful.
Rooms and entire property was extremly clean. We will definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank luis203
Melinda M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for the review and staff acknowledgement! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

From the minute I walked in the staff made me feel welcomed. I decided to stay here for the Cherry Point half marathon since it was only 3 minutes drive to the base. My room was roomy, clean and the bed was so comfy! Glad I put in a wakeup call because I would have overslept in my plush bed. WiFi connection was good. The indoor pool looked very inviting but I did not get a chance to use it. The race started early so I wasn't expecting breakfast buy the hotel had several runners staying there so they opened it up early, which speaks volumes for their customer service. I will definately be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had Catholic School Group staying for Basketball Tournement. Director of Sales Brittany was most hospitable to all the families! The place is fairly new, with updated decor. The indoor pool was a plus for the kids and the breakfast was plentiful and fresh. There were no complaints from any of the 30 or so families there!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth B

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I had plans to stay there a few nights . To visit my son that is station at cherry point (navy) . Got there and the manager, was there along with a really nice lady working the front desk. We checked in. The rooms were nice and clean. We went to get something to eat , and left our small dog in the room. As we left and gave our cell number at the front desk to the staff there. In case they need to call us about our pet. We got a call within 15 minutes. I came right back to my room. And I then understood why my small dog had been barking. Had two rooms beside us with drunk government contractors partying. And yelling, and what sound like they were horse playing in there rooms. But the manager told my wife that if there were any more calls we would be putting our dog in our car for the night .it was 28 degrees that night . And much latter once the workers passed out every was okay. This place I will never stay again!!! But if you're a contractor and you party this is a fine place to stay. The manager will like you, but if you have a dog go to the comfort inn . This place is very overpriced .

4  Thank Bigdog397
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Bigdog397,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction is the utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our hotel fell below your expectations. Your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to these identified weakness and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and thank you very much for your patronage.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Having moved to the Wilmington, NC area in September of 2011, we had yet to visit the Crystal Coast (Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach), Swansboro, and Morehead City. Last year we visited NC Aquarium down at Fort Fisher on MLK Day. We had also visited that aquarium a few years prior. We discovered that all three of NC's Aquariums have free admission on MLK Day (as well as Veteran's Day?). This year we decided to have an overnight getaway to the Crystal Coast area to see a new area, and to take advantage of the Pine Knoll Shores (on the island, in between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle) aquarium's free admission.

Since it was winter time, I figured it would be a good idea to find a hotel with an indoor pool because of the cold weather and since the sun sets early and we can't see much after dark anyway. Our young kids LOVE to swim, and we don't have a pool yet.

In my research, I could only find two hotels, not including Jacksonville or New Bern, with indoor pools. Unfortunately, the Sheraton in Atlantic Beach has been closed since Hurricane Irene. That left the only option, Holiday Inn Express in Havelock. It is a little out of the way of the area where we were focusing on, but it was worth the extra 20-30 minute drive in the end for the indoor pool during winter. The hotel was probably $20 a night more than others in the same class. If it were not for the indoor pool, we probably would have chosen Hampton Inn in Morehead City. But this hotel is relatively new, and the decor was modern, but not overly garish modern. I'll leave descriptions up to the other reviewers I have read here.

Another situation that made the little extra drive worth it was the Newport Flea Market, just off of 70, between Morehead City and Havelock. We had two big flea markets where we relocated from, and this flea market has been the biggest one we've seen and the closest since moving. Jacksonville does not have one that we know of, and Wilmington's Starway flea market was a bit disappointing.

As other reviewers noted, the Havelock Tourist and Event Center right behind this hotel is worth spending a few minutes looking at the aircraft on display outside. The building though was not open though on MLK Day.

On our trip we also visited the Riverview and Bicentennial Park in Swansboro. The Riverview Park has a pretty big boardwalk with free binoculars and wildlife information signs overlooking the Hampton Bay salt water marsh. This would be a great little park to view the spring's fiddler crabs. About a block away there is a tiny park beside a pizza parlor (limited parking) called Bicentennial Park. There are bathrooms there as well as memorials and a gazebo. This park is beside the causeway bridge linking Swansboro to Morehead City. This might be a great location to see the Swansboro Christmas Flotilla? Swansboro's waterfront is small, a couple shops and restaurants with no public walks beside the water.

We also visited Jaycee Park (waterfront and city boat docks) in Morehead City, which has a nice walk beside the docks and the water, where there are also a few restaurants and a couple of shops. On MLK Day we went to the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium, and on the way back home, we had a lot of fun at Mac Daddy's in Cape Carteret, a bowling alley/grill/bar/arcade. In the same complex in-season they have go-carts, golf, and batting cages.

We were thinking about visiting Beaufort, but did not have enough time. It was a good place to cut off for this trip. By the looks of Beaufort from my previous virtual Google Street view drive, Beaufort is worth a stay on its own, during warmer months, as tours depart from their shop and restaurant filled waterfront to Shackleford Banks (wild horse island) and I think the Cape Lookout lighthouse.

Room Tip: We stayed in 115, close to the side of the hotel, where there is a side door which makes it easy to...