“Not the cleanest for a Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Havelock
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Let me preface this review by saying cleanliness is most important when it comes to any hotel stay so that impacts my rating heavily. We checked in for our family reunion weekend and the ladies at the front desk were really pleasant. It was a nice touch that they offered pretzels to the guests as they checked in. The lobby was very clean as well as the breakfast area and pool. The breakfast selection was good and met everyone's palate. We had a double room and it appeared to be very clean until we entered the bathroom. The shower was gross and luckily we brought shower shoes. The glass was covered in scum top to bottom and the floor looked like it had not been scrubbed since installation (yuck)! I informed one of the ladies at the desk who offered to clean it but it didn't change. There was also something on the floor under the vanity so Housekeeping just needs to be trained on how to clean a bathroom. I sprayed with Lysol but somehow my husband and daughter's allergies were still triggered to the point they both travelled home sick. We treated her asthma with a nebulizer twice on the ride home and my husband was barely well enough to drive a few hours. If the cleaning improves, this would be a top choice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank iido1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear iido1,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We are certainly elated that you enjoyed our breakfast selections and pretzels at check in. Clean, spacious rooms and friendly service are a hotel’s highest priorities. We are sorry we fell short of your expectations particularly with the cleanliness of the bathroom and poor housekeeping service. I truly apologize for the inconveniences that happened during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Any expectations have to be tempered by the fact that (1) Havelock is not a resort city, and (2) I would guess that most of the transients are TAD/PCS to MCAS Cherry Point. So this Holiday Inn and the next door Hampton Inn are about what you should expect for this area. As for my review--
Pluses: The staff was very pleasant, there was free bottled water, the rooms and common area were reasonably clean, it was very convenient to MCAS Cherry Point, and the workout room was adequate. My room was an upgrade and had full frig, microwave, washer.
Minuses: The hotel is showing signs of wear. No tub -- just a shower stall. The Internet connection was pitifully slow. It can also be pretty noisy at night if the neighboring room has children.
Bottom Line: I recommend it if you are conducting business at Cherry Point, or if you just need somewhere to spend the night on your way elsewhere. Otherwise, I'd stay on the shore.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Milt_Thanatos
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Milt_Thanatos,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked our staff service as well as our facilities. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the noise had caused you and regret that you were not satisfied with the internet speed. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stopped at the here after walking out of another local hotel that was so nasty we refused to stay. The Holiday Inn Express was a refreshing change. Very clean, modern, and pretty. The rooms were big, clean, and decorated nicely. We loved the couch and the bed were very comfortable. We loved the big shower (even though our door leaked a little.) We will be back, no doubt!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Melinda M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for the review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will come back soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stopped in to Havelock after being gone for 15 years and was surprised and glad to see a new hotel on the main road. It sits back a little and is very quite. The staff are so friendly and they took the time to get us caught up on what was new in town. The place was new and spotless, rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. The best part is the pancake maker, you just press the button and a hot pancake comes out in like 30 seconds and taste so good..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you came back to Havelock after being gone for so long! I hope you will come back soon and stay with us!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I must acknowledge that I booked this hotel through a bidding website that blinds the name of the hotel until a bid is accepted. I was bidding on what I thought was a hotel in New Bern, but was given this hotel, which is located in Havelock and is close to a 20 minute drive from downtown New Bern. So, I was disappointed with the hotel sight unseen. The hotel is new and its common areas are nicely decorated. The rooms are adequately sized and the decor is modern; however, it's a very cheap modern. For example, the shower was enclosed with large glass panels and a glass door; both leaked all over the bathroom floor despite what appeared to be repetitive and messy attempts to caulk over the cracks. The room doors were fitted with the bane of any hotel - hydraulic door closers which forced the doors shut with a bang. Through the thin walls, the slams of doors echoed throughout the night along with conversations in the hallway of the many contractors coming and going on beer runs.

On the plus side, the front desk receptionist was extremely nice and welcoming. The complimentary coffee and breakfast were good. The complimentary bottled water was a very nice touch. The night we arrived, a large flock of swallows migrated in and began fervently building mud nests underneath the roof of the portico. Obviously, the hotel was erected on their nesting grounds and I sincerely hope the management does not try to exterminate these birds. They are very pretty and their presence adds a nice touch to the property.

Good luck finding a decent hotel in Havelock. We ate at the Carolina Diner directly in front of the hotel, which seemed to be the best choice in town, which is a very sad statement. The food and presentation were similar to a diner although it was located in what appeared to be a refurbished Applebee's building.

All in all, not a particularly pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cupecoy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Dear cupecoy,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. On the other hand, please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Lana, lady that works breakfast is amazing. She kept everything well stocked and extremely clean. Best service I have ever experienced.
Stuf at the front desk was welcoming and helpful.
Rooms and entire property was extremly clean. We will definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank luis203

Thank you for the review and staff acknowledgement! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

From the minute I walked in the staff made me feel welcomed. I decided to stay here for the Cherry Point half marathon since it was only 3 minutes drive to the base. My room was roomy, clean and the bed was so comfy! Glad I put in a wakeup call because I would have overslept in my plush bed. WiFi connection was good. The indoor pool looked very inviting but I did not get a chance to use it. The race started early so I wasn't expecting breakfast buy the hotel had several runners staying there so they opened it up early, which speaks volumes for their customer service. I will definately be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Havelock
Hampton Inn Havelock
Hampton Inn Havelock
#1 of 7 in Havelock
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Quality Inn Havelock
Quality Inn Havelock
#6 of 7 in Havelock
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 7 in Havelock
Holiday Inn Express Morehead City

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Havelock? Share your experiences!