“Cheap but okay”
Review of Days Inn Havelock

Days Inn Havelock
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Havelock
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Checked in quickly and was given room 22. Not a bad room. The guests were noisy and room 22 in right next to the vending machine, ice machine and laundry. The air conditioning was on so it blocked most of the noise. Went down for the breakfast around 9:30 and there were 2 muffins and about 6 bagels. I was satisfied with the room because of the price of $70 vs $100 for the night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Havelock

Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is BY FAR, the worst experience I've had in ANY hotel- EVER. Let me first say, that the location in Havelock, being only a short 15 minute drive to Atlantic Beach, is the ONLY thing that this hotel has going for it. We were on family vacation from Omaha, NE to visit some relatives in NC, and this was one of the closest hotels we could get to the ocean without paying an arm and a leg, which I also appreciate, and since we had an employee discount, all the better.

BUT, when my sister and I got into the 80's themed lobby to check in, we were greeted by the smell of fresh cigarette smoke wafting from the mouths of the 2 front desk attendants- one of which was CLEARLY still in the training phase. So, instead of the more experienced clerk checking us in and explaining the steps as she went along, she let this poor new clerk stumble along for nearly 15 minutes just to check in 2 rooms. Granted, I've been in customer service before, so, it didn't bother us too much that what should've been a fairly straight forward process took that long.

Before we brought the families in, my sister and I checked our respective rooms. I should've known right away that we were gonna have problems by the fact that who ever repainted the doors looks like they just poured paint on the top ledge and just let it run down both sides. Nevertheless, my sister’s in house keeping at a local hotel, so we checked the basic cleanliness of the rooms and didn’t concentrate so much on decor. And even though the air conditioner probably hadn't been run in the room before we arrived, we figured that the musty, old smell would dissipate after a little while. Everything seemed to be in working order…until you actually tried to work it.

After coming from the beach, we washed up, dodging the unpredictable hot and cold spirts of water coming from the shower. (Beware if you have little ones. They could be scalded or frozen at any point.) After we brought back our dinner to the rooms, we turned on the 80’s era tv set only to find that even with the volume turned all the way up, all we got from most stations was a loud thud and static- almost like the tv was picking up a radio station signal. And the remote did not work. (Maybe it just needed new batteries?) And if ALL of this wasn’t enough, as we finished our dinner and went to put the left overs in the fridge, the most AWFULLY putrid smell came from it. It wasn’t cold, and there was some sort of liquid that had molded on the bottom of the refrigerator. I didn’t keep it open long enough to figure out what it was. However, by this time, it was pretty late and we were all extremely tired from our day, so I just decided to bring it to the clerk’s attention in the morning. Benefit of the doubt, right (?)

The next morning, I brought my concerns to the front desk clerk on duty- Cindy. After ignoring me for a few seconds after standing at the front desk, she asked me in a VERY annoyed tone “what she could do for me.” I told her about the fridge not working, and the tv. A few more awkwardly silent seconds later, she said, “Well, we don’t keep the refrigerators on. YOU have to turn them on yourself.” REALLY?!?! I understand conservation of energy…I get that. But HOW, pray tell, is a guest supposed to know that? When I asked about the cleanliness of aforementioned fridge, she had (zero) response. Not an “ I’m so sorry, I’ll check into it.” Not even a fake concerned expression. Nothing. She scratched something down on a piece of paper and then just stared at me as I stood there in disbelief.

My family and I were privy to MANY hotel guests that she was very rude and snappy to: Some even having to just back away from the desk saying, “have a nice day.” I CANNOT believe that this woman, who we over heard had been working there for 13 years was the FACE of that particular Days Inn location. It puts EVERYTHING we experienced in that hotel into perspective. If they don’t care about who they choose as their guests’ first point of contact, why would they care about musty rooms, creaky beds, old tvs and moldy refrigerators?!

I did call corporate office and let them know. Whether anything will be done about it, I don’t know. But if we had had ANY other option to leave that place we would’ve in a heartbeat. Any one paying more than 30.00 a night for that place is getting ripped off- great location or not. DON’T WAIST YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlotteCB15
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We go down to Havelock, NC twice a year and every time we stay there. Everyone including the manager Mr . Patel is excellent. Our room has been spotless a/c worked, no smells of anything. We were there during the hurricane Irene in August and not a leak or smell of any kind. We were down for 1 and a half days with no power which management had nothing to do with that. They made coffee for the quests and when we did get the power on he filled up all his rooms quickly. We made friends with the locals and still talk to some of them. Brenda, Sheila, Carol and Mr. Patel are the best people around. As far as the front desk girl be rude well don't bother her I had to go out this past week to get batteries for the remote and no problem. She is not there to entertain anyone. All the night girls are excellent. Smoking rooms are always pet rooms due to the damage both do to the rooms, beds, carpets. Maybe some hotels don't tell you the truth but this place does. I have made reservations many times and never had a problem when I got there.

I think they have the best place there. Don't like it don't go there go pay 130.00 - 200.00 a night and see how much they do for you.

Room Tip: This is well worth the money
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

One of The front desk receptionist was very rude to us, giving us attitude just because my friend was jumping into the pool when he didn't suppose to, we understand her reasons for call our attention but she didn't need to be so rude in first place. The next day the new receptionist was very nice hate that I can remember their names.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havelock
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge Crystal Coast
Econo Lodge Crystal Coast
#5 of 5 in Morehead City
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront

Been to Days Inn Havelock? Share your experiences!