Sherwood Motel
US$129
HIExpress.com
US$157
US$148
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores(Pine Knoll Shores)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$197
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My company sent me to the North Carolina coast on July 3, 2014, as Hurricane Arthur approached. (I work for an electric utility.) The choice was to either sleep on a cot at a local high school or stay at the Sherwood Motel. Let's just say I made the wrong decision.

This hotel was old and nasty. My room looked nothing like the pictures on the hotel's website or Trip Advisor. The carpet was disgusting, the towels were like sandpaper, there weren’t enough outlets for the lamps they have in the room, the walls are super thin, random people were just hanging out outside my door (keep in mind that a hurricane is passing through the area at the same time), I could clearly hear the couple next door having some "adult" fun (she seemed to be enjoying it) …I could go on.

I tried to fall asleep around 10 p.m. Two hours later, as I tossed and turned trying not think of how disgusting this place was, I went on my smartphone and booked a room at the Hampton Inn down the street for the next night. That Hampton Inn was delightful.

I know the Sherwood Motel is cheap, and that may be a consideration for you. But spend a few extra bucks and try to get into the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express down the street.

Room Tip: Don't stay here; go to the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express down the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LJFreed
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I sure wish I had known there was a Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn just up the road! Not even 5 minutes. The "manager" spoke very broken and hard to decipher English. The microwave was inoperable, the ac barely put out cold air so we were dying. The bathroom door wouldn't lock or stay closed, but the worst of all was the HUGE bugs!!! Woke up at 2:30 am by the bugs scurrying up the wall. Was too exhausted to leave, kids wanted to sleep in the car. Woke up at 7:30 am with one on my son's foot!!! Spoke to "manager" who claims she was only authorized to give a 10% refund. $5 back so I spent $57 for one of the worst experiences of our vacation. Ok... It was the worst experience. They even offered a discount on future stays. Lmao. Nope. No way. Ain't never going there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Tonya K
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It's an older motel and has not been upgraded in a few years. Convenient to Cherry Point Marine Air Station and Morehead City. It's about 20 minutes from Atlantic Beach, NC. It has air conditioning, refrigerator, microwave, television, telephone, internet and hot water. Owners are helpful. No pool. It is NOT the Ritz! But it's very inexpensive. I'll drive 20 minutes to the beach each day in order to save between $100 and $150 per night.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are more convenient
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MidnightKrewzer
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at! First of all the front desk staff was nice on the phone but lied about the distance to a job site that I was working at. She stated it was three miles when it was 30 minutes causing me to be late to work! The room was a nightmare! The floor in the room was wet and their was mold growing in the room!! The shower was leaking causing the floor to be wet. To top this horrible experience their were roaches!! This is unbelievable! I came home and there were roaches in my bag from the hotel!! Please stay away from this place. I should have known by the looks of the outside!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tara s
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here June 5 2014 and This motel was the worst place I've ever stayed. I pulled the comforter back to find blood all over the sheets. When the sheets were changed there was a 6 inch centipede under the sheets. The room smelled awful... Although the motel was almost completely vacant they wouldn't allow us to have a bottom floor. It was storming so bad that the parking lot was flood & they had no covering over the stair so all of my clothes & bags were soaked...even though there was only 4 cars in the parking lot at the most the night we checked in and the morning after...I asked for a late check out bc I had to be at a graduation but the rest of my family couldn't come...even though they sd I could have a late check out. .before I was able to get back they had kicked my family out in 90 degree weather and NO ONE was checking in that needed the room. I pulled up to find my family sitting outside in the heat & sun. I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay there! A waste of money!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014