“Perfect little getaway.”

Lamplight Inn B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Henderson B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights in the Pirate's Den cabin and I loved it! It was a very good value and I definitely preferred the privacy of the cabin to a hotel. The cabin was clean; it just had the feel of staying in a relative's cabin or something. The things inside seemed used (because they were) but that didn't bother me at all. Pretty much everything you needed was in there; untensils, plates, towels, a can opener, etc. just to name a few. There was a fire pit outside which I utilized and spent a nice quiet night with my boyfriend and dog by the fire. Since I stayed in the cabin, I did not get the breakfast at the Inn but there was a full size fridge, micorwave, toaster and coffee maker so I was able to bring food of my own. There are plenty of nice fishing spots nearby at Kerr Lake and Nutbush Creek; but we didn't catch anything probably due to the cold. All in all, it was a great stay in a very nice area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kali D

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Don't miss the chance to stay at this sweet B&B. 150 year old farmhouse converted to an Inn with Cabin Rentals and even RV Pads. The morning breakfasts were delicious served family style. The bed in The Royal Room is king size and comfortable. New installed bathrooms compliment wide barn board floors. Night ended with Hot Chocolate in the Parlor- when you are tired of the modern world stop in and relax.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry C
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Really enjoyed the stay here. Three couples for a wedding at another venue. Spent long hours at the breakfast table talking and in the sitting room after our festivities late at night. Add in a morning with Shirley walking the place seeing all she has done and learning the history.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank George C
01innkeeper, Owner at Lamplight Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thanks for your review George. Your group was a real pleasure that I enjoyed serving and, as always I enjoy showing the history that is here.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My friends daughter was getting married nearby and I was told that 4 couples, including us, would be staying here. When I called to make my reservation, the only room that was left was $25 more a night than the rest. Not worth it at all, The bathroom for this room house the furnace, which sounds like a monster groaning.

Ok, as noted in some of the other reviews, this is definitely not the cleanest place you could ever stay, so if you ever decide to give it a try, don't look too closely. Breakfast the first morning was not the best, it was a lot of sugary stuff, Breakfast the next morning was much better with egg casserole and bacon.

The bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

Now the interesting part. The Inn Keeper spent over an hour giving us a tour of the tobacco farm, providing detailed history. It's amazing to see what she has accomplished with what 10 years ago was so overrun with brush, she couldn't even see that there were 15 out buildings on the property. She has converted several of the tobacco barns into cabins and another into a small museum.

I probably wouldn't stay here again but it was so interesting listening to Shirley's stories.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, the Heavenly Haven room is not worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Moncurian

Thanks for posting your review. I am sorry that you didn't like the strawberry stuffed french toast. I agree that it is very sugary but some people expect the sugary treats when they go away l As for the price of the room the smaller king room is only $10. less so you have somehow been misinformed. I do appreciate your comments about the farm tour.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have always relied heavily on the reviews on tripadvisor and AAA, but you failed me this time. We had booked the Pirate Cove Cabin. Thought about the old house B&B but thought the cabin would be neat. Gosh I'm glad we didn't do that. When we first pulled up I thought we must be in the wrong place. Everything was rundown. Looked like many of old farm houses near me that are on their last leg. We had to walk through the house to register and as my husband said it was really creepy. Very dark, curtains all drawn, smelly,trashy and cluttered. The cabin looked much like it did in the pictures but everything in the cabin had not been maintained. it was obvious that except for the clean sheets on the bed and a somewhat clean bathroom, no cleaning had been done in some time. Refrigerator door was dirty, microwave was dirty inside and out. There were crumbles under the placemats. Trash on the floors and especially under the bed. The furniture was well worn, curtain rod was broken and one window was cracked. The furniture on the porch was unusable because it was so dirty.

If we had booked the B&B I would have turned around and left.....I seriously thought about doing that when we walked into the cabin. We decided because the bed was clean it wasn't worth the trouble for a one night stay. We just decided not to eat in the cabin and opted for going out to restaurants.

Room Tip: If it rents for less than $100 don't stay there
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth-the-great
01innkeeper, Owner at Lamplight Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

thanks for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that some people are not comfortable in an1850 setting. When noone is registered in the Inn during the hot summer months I often close the curtains to keep out the heat. Unfortunately, this set a bad atmosphere to greet you upon your arrival. Please call me so I can help with your concerns.. 252-438-6311

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Every so often when I travel I run across a unique" special place".
This 1850's B&B has a lot to offer. There are more than a dozen out building. Some even have a museum and hands on infoormation on the history of the plantation which you can tell was very functional.
When I travel I seek out Genuine places to relax! I feel between the excellent accomodations and food made to order Ms Shirley certainly has figured out how to make you feel welcome. The tour of the grounds was particularly intrigueing, even the original family cemetery added tons of charm to a place that already was full of character. Kerr Lake was right there as well.
I know I will be back and next time I'm going to try the "Gone with the Wind " room.
If you like character and charm this place has it all. Oh yes BTW the food is Excellent and made to order.

Room Tip: All the ones I looked at seemed very nice and friendly. Various themes, Tropical. Regal, Heavenly Ha...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary S
01innkeeper, Owner at Lamplight Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Thanks for the excellent review. I love to show the place off and am so happy when people appreciate all me efforts. I

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We made our reservation on Friday to stay Saturday night. We arrived at 4:30 p.m. and no one was there. We called and the owner told us she was out of town but that she had "Fran" coming over to take care of us, and that she would be there after work around 5:30. We discovered that the door to the inn was unlocked so we went in to wait. There were dirty dishes and leftover food out on the dining room table. The house is very old and the entire property is rundown and looks somewhat dilapidated. When Fran arrived she was very apologetic and very sweet. She showed us our rooms. We stayed in the Heavenly Haven room. It was pretty enough, but the entire wood floor was slanted and bouncy and I was quite afraid it would collapse any moment the whole time we were there. The bed was rather hard and uncomfortable. On the bedside table there were 2 pieces of very old dried up fudge wrapped in cellophane. There was a heat furnace in the bathroom closet that was extremely loud when it turned on and off during the night. The door leading into the bathroom scraped the floor when you opened it. In corners of the bathroom ceiling where the crown molding met, there were bunches of ladybugs, just sitting there in groups of four or five. The gourmet breakfast that was promised on the inn's website consisted of a sticky, bitter fruit compote, Maxwell House coffee, crumbly and dry scrambled egg beaters(no real eggs), sausage links, and canned biscuits. It was extremely disappointing. We left right after breakfast and found a Cracker Barrel to eat at later in the morning. I will never stay at this place again, nor will I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank tambarnc

I am sorry that the vist did not go well. I was out of town when the reservation came in and advised the guests that I could accomodate them if they could arrive afer 5:30 when my inn sitter was available. They arrived early and Butch was sitting on the porchl He invited them to go in unaware that the breakfast room was not cleared. that must have set a bad atmosphere for the guest. At breakfast they told Fran that they preferred scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, they did not recognize farm fresh eggs nor did they appreciate home made fudge. The 1850s farm house has been totally renovated and maintained. It is not run down just OLD.