“Go early or you will be out of luck!”
Review of Moonshine Mountain

Moonshine Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I went to Moonshine Mountain with my son, my friend and her son on March 1, 2014. We read the reviews and noticed there were a lot of people complaining about long waits to get tubes so we decided to get there as close to opening as possible (we were driving in from out of state but only about 1-1 1/2 hour drive). We get there 30 minutes after it opened and we're told they are sold out of tubes and it would be at least 1 1/2 hour wait and that we should probably just come back tomorrow. The attendant told us that Sundays were a better day to come than Saturdays. I called Friday (the day before we came) and asked a bunch of questions. Wish they would have told us that when I called. It looked like someone's backyard but with 3 trails covered with man-made snow. I was expecting more of a snow resort sort of thing. In all fairness, it DID look like everyone was having fun (even though there were very long lines for them to get to the top of the slide). The bridge has a limit of 5 ppl on it at a time but there were 6 ppl standing on it taking pictures of their friends and when you tell them you are trying to get across so you can get to your car they just looked at me like I had 3 heads. If you plan on coming make sure you get there right at opening and (b/c they won't tell you) Sunday's are a better day to come. Don't expect a ski resort look to it and you'll have a great time.

2  Thank Tiffany H
"statues"
"blast"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My friends and I wanted to go snow tubing on our girls vacation. We were staying in Maggie Valley, N.C. and were glad we drove over to Moonshine Mountain. We are all over 50 and we had a BLAST!!!. Bob meet us in the parking lot and gave us instructions on signing in and some tips for having a good time. Everyone was friendly and it's so much safer then the tubing in Maggie Valley. We had no lines or waiting and runs were great. I hope to go back again.

2  Thank Denise M
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I read several of the reviews and I was prepared for the worst. Honestly, I don't see what everyone's problem with this place is. I was terrified of the ride and the workers at the top were so friendly and cordial. They made conversation as we waited and were really great! The slopes are dangerous, but here's thing, that's how snow tubing is! It's dangerous! It's not crazy dangerous, but it's not like you're reading a book either.

The porta potties were clean when we were there. We got there on a Sunday just as they opened and paid $20 for a two hour ticket. Non group rate is $25. Believe me two hours was plenty! Even with a crowd we tubed about 6 times. I rode up the mountain, but some of the kids climbed instead and probably rode down a few more times than the adults.

The decor all around is pretty cool and there are two very sweet labs there. One wants you to play fetch while waiting in line and the kids loved that!!

I know that we'll be going back! Thanks so much to the AWESOME staff! Seriously, they really made it a great trip!

1  Thank KristinGautam
Reviewed 2 February 2014

As a parent, I won't be returning. Even the lack of well-equipped bathrooms wasn't really a major problem, because you're there for a limited time. However, it's really just an unsafe place. The "bridge" has a limit of 5 people, with no attendant to enforce the rule. Plus, the limit needs to be weight based. Are they talking about a family of 5, with little kids, or 5 adults?

Then, if you want any chance of tubing more than a couple of times, you'll bypass the lift and walk up the hill. That is, until you start the trek and realize you're leading your kids onto an ice slick, while carrying a heavy tube.

When you arrive at the bottom of the tubing run, it's a literal run for life, to avoid being clobbered by a "train" of 8+ people, in tubes hooked together by wrapping their legs around the person in front of them. These "trains" get quite a bit of momentum and they careen up an embankment, narrowly missing trees and then slide back down the embankment, onto whomever hasn't moved out of the way quickly enough.

Just FYI: My husband's an attorney and the many, many signs warning visitors about risk of injury or death, don't really matter. They're still liable if you're hurt, or worse. A lawsuit will probably close this place down at some point. Unfortunately, an innocent person will suffer.

Great family concept, but needs to be run the right way. Right now, it's a tragedy waiting to occur.

10  Thank Maisygirl3