“Overall nice places in serious need of a deep clean and renovation”
Review of 1898 Waverly Inn

1898 Waverly Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This is a pretty old house right on Main St that is in a good location to be able to walk into downtown. The staff was nice and the breakfasts in the morning were excellent.
I realize the house is old, however it is in serious and I mean serious need of renovation and updating. If you are a light sleeper, this is not the place for you because each creak of the hallway and stairs can be heard wherever you are. Not to mention, you will need earplugs, that they provide, in order to sleep due to the car traffic in front of the house. The bed and linens were clean and comfortable, but the room was in serious need of deep cleaning. The decorative items in the room had a good years worth of dust on them and clearly nothing in the room had been moved and vacuumed in a while. I realize the place doesn't have central heat and air, but there were cobwebs on the curtain rods and that wasn't acceptable. The bathroom was also in serious need of a deep cleaning, as well as the lamp shades that when I went to sit at the desk had hair and dust caked on them that were clearly not mine. The pictures on the web site were a tad deceiving, but some places you really don't know until you get there.
Staff was nice and helpful, although, I don't want to feel corralled into staying for social hour. If I do, great, if not, let it go. Food was good, but unless this place gets a serious makeover, I doubt I will darken the door again.
I stayed at this place on a Living Social deal and had I paid full price for it, I would have been livid. This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast and probably be my last.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4innkeepers, Owner at 1898 Waverly Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

The owners, innkeepers and housekeeping staff were absolutely stunned by this review. We realize that at the ripe old age of 113 the house has some quirks and oddities but we would have moved a guest immediately if they let us know that they were having a hard time with squeaks or Main Street traffic. We talked with these guests several times and asked them if they needed or wanted anything and nothing was ever brought to our attention. We are very upset that they did not have the rest and relaxation that everyone comes to an inn for. It is our job to provide that experience and we feel badly when we do not achieve the goal.
We realize that October is an extremely busy month at the inn and that sometimes we do not get everything perfect in our rush to get everything done on any given day. The dust that the customers say that they experienced is not acceptable and never will be. We have given this a great deal of thought and reflection and have come up with a check list that will be used on a daily basis to make sure that this does not happen again. We have not had a complaint like this in the past and we hope to never have a complaint like this again in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

The room was well furnished and nicely decorated, but being out of breath each time I climbed to the third floor did not make me feel warm and fuzzy. I am a youngish slightly over 60 and most of the guests were either far older than I or maybe they just looked and talked that way. Heart problems, skin cancer and prostate issue seemed to be conversation fodder among strangers during wine and cheese social hour and I was not really into it. In addition I never figured out "who was who" in terms of owners or managers because, although two women were omnipresent, neither introduced herself or established her title. There were some allusions to "John" but no explanation of who John was.
Back to the guest room which was small and had an equally small flat screen TV that I originally mistook for a computer monitor...The bathroom's claw foot tub was too high for my companion to scale comfortably so he settled for less than a full shower during our stay. The height of the tub was a subject of conjecture between us for several days. We wondered how the older folks were safely using a similar tub which had no grab rails or anything that could be expected to support or help balance an aging guest. The bathroom soap pleasantly scented the room, and there were other amenities included for bathers. A CD player with a few music CD's were on a side table near the bed.The bed was older and perfectly comfortable, but the room was cold at night and in the morning. I put my hand on the radiator to check whether it was working and it seemed warm. However, the room itself never seemed to warm up much. Breakfast time was one short hour, from 8 AM-9 AM. Since I am used to an earlier breakfast and prefer my meal at 7 AM this was a bit inconvenient. The morning server was congenial and eager to please, explaining the selections and bringing the food as soon as it was ready. The meal was cooked as ordered, at the right temperature and of good quality. This B&B is located in the heart of downtown. Guests can walk to nearby restaurants and shops. The guest's parking lot was full at one point during our visit. Because we had not been told how to handle this issue I had to stay with my vehicle, while my companion went inside to get directions for overflow parking. Some basic information given by management about overflow parking would have been appreciated before the problem arose. I probably would not return to the Inn because in my own life I've experienced the discomforts as well as the positive features associated with an older home. It would possibly be more appealing to those whose experiences have never included claw foot tubs, shower curtains, radiators, and squeaking wooden floors.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

We are extremely disappointed in ourselves when a guest at our inn does not go away feeling anything but relaxed and happy. We understand how hard it is to get away from the daily routine.
We should have realized when you made your reservation that a walk to the third floor would be difficult for you. We apologize for not making the location of the room clearer. We will definitely make the effort to make future guests more aware of the steps required to get to their rooms.
Conversation topics at the evening “meet and greet” are a little harder to control. We do request that politics, sex and religion are not mentioned but we will try to be more sensitive to the entire group and make an effort to ensure that everyone is feeling engaged.
We do not make enough of an effort to identify ourselves so we will also make a point of doing that more in the future. As the innkeepers we forget that everyone does not know us. We will have to address that issue.
When we put together these rooms we tried to make sure that everything that you could need or want was within your reach. Some of us are cold natured and some of us are hot natured. We have put small heaters in each closet so that if the room is not warm enough for the occupants they can control that problem. We apologize to you for not making that piece of knowledge available and also for not telling you where all of the parking was when you checked in. It is hard to decide which information is needed at check in. We walk a fine line when it comes offering too much or too little information.
We do have six rooms in the inn that have just a walk-in shower (no tub at all) or a standard tub & shower combo (like in most homes.) We try, when taking reservations, to ask the guest if they prefer a room with a claw-footed tub with a shower or a room with a walk in shower. I am sorry that somehow we missed this when we took your reservation.
Most of all we are terribly disappointed that we did not know of your displeasure when you were staying with us so that we could have tried to fix it for you. If we had a different room available we would have been happy to move you to a new room on a lower floor with a shower only.
Thank you very much for you honest feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and you have given us several areas to work on, for that we sincerely thank you.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

Very attentive service, wonderful snacks , great breakfast extremely friendly. Rooms nice , clean , encountered no problems

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Just returned home, and wish we were still there. It is a lovely Victorian home (right up my alley), and the people, food, and attention to detail make it wonderful!
If you have never tried a B&B try this one. You'll be hooked

Room Tip: Towards the back of the house it is more quiet
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My husband and I enjoy frequenting B&Bs when we travel and our weekend stay at the Waverly Inn was one of the best we have experienced! The owners of this Inn do everything right and clearly understand how to make guests feel right at home. From the made-to-order breakfast, to the wine and cheese hour in the parlor and my personal favorite-the 24 hour access to Darla's amazing baked goods and coffee/tea bar really helped make our stay special. We stayed in the Mountain Magnolia Suite on the 3rd floor and enjoyed many cozy evenings and naps nestled in that fabulous bed! The Inn has 2 levels of porches- we gravitated towards the 2nd floor for wine sipping and cigar smoking (and more napping!). The Inn is located a few blocks away from the quaint downtown area. We enjoyed FABULOUS sushi at Umi, pub fare at Hannah Flannigans and Italian at MezzaLuna. On Sunday we grabbed delicious handmade sandwiches from Mountain Deli for a picnic at the Carl Sandburg home. My only advice for visiting Hendersonville is to scope out what restaurants are open Sat-Sundays. We were surprised to find only a few open after 9pm on Saturday and many closed on Sunday. In a way, it made our experience in Hendersonville that much more special- because it wasn't as crowded as say, Asheville. The store owners and locals extremely friendly and are glad to have you there! We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

we had not been in 15 years due to children and family
It was just like coming home
Diane and John still run the place and we always enjoy meeting the other guest....

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was our second stay at this quaint B&B. This visit we stayed on the first floor in the American Holly room. Our queen size bed was very comfortable, the room is lovely with high ceilings, original painted woodwork and an attached bath complete with tub (rubber ducky included). We had a room air conditioner that was quite adequate during the hot afternoons. There's a closet with bathrobes and a little step-stool for the high four-poster bed.

The hosts, John, Diane and Darla are very friendly. Debbie is a charmer -- a very pleasant addition to the Waverly team The breakfasts are delicious -- John is a fine breakfast chef! They provide several choices: hot cereal, cold cereal, eggs to order, omelets, bacon, sausage, fruit, and their specials (we loved the banana and pecan pancakes). The jams are unusual and tasty. We LOVED the whole wheat toast...I would call it a multigrain whole wheat. YUM!
There is 24-hour access to soft drinks, a wide assortment of teas, coffees and there's usually a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and a wonderful cake.
Try to be back to the Inn by 5 p.m. -- we met on the rocking chair porch for a glass or wine or lemondade, crackers, cheese, grapes and wonderfuly conversation during the social hour.
You will love the owners, the accommodations and the special features that separate them from the norm. Oh, and you can walk into town...leave the car parked. We have tried many restaurants and also walked to the Flat Rock Playhouse's new downtown location. A very, very pleasant visit.

Room Tip: check their website, groupon, social living.com, or ask about their corporate rates
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
3 mi away
#3 of 11 in Hendersonville
The Henderson
The Henderson
#3 of 14 in Hendersonville

Been to 1898 Waverly Inn? Share your experiences!