“Lovely time!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 15 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
Decatur, Georgia
“Lovely time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Let me state right away that my husband and I truly had a relaxing and lovely stay at the 1898 Waverly and will absolutely return. As other reviewers claim - a most excellent location. I am also a claw foot tub fan. I also enjoy having a ridiculous assortment of tea and coffee at my disposal 24 hours a day, and my husband ate both my and his share of cookies. I was also beyond happy with the breakfast. I am non-dairy and not a huge meat-eater and did not expect to rave about this portion of our stay. In my experience, most breakfasts loved by others tend towards the buttery and greasy. Not so at the 1898 Waverly! Irish oatmeal of perfect consistency! Absolutely perfectly poached farm-fresh eggs on warm, locally baked toast! A lovely poached pear with local blueberries, for goodness sakes! Pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage and grits were also offered, but a girl can only eat but so much, try as I did!

Now, I had read the other reviews prior to our trip and thought I would address those as well:

We enjoyed our room on the third floor. No, there is no elevator. If you can normally walk up three flights of stairs then you can handle these as well. Yes, it is on the street. Remember the great location? So cars drive by and there is a school nearby. They also give you earplugs; we didn't use them as this sort of thing doesn't bother us.

Our room was clean. I have asthma and am wary of dusty places. Not a problem; it was clean.

The decor was perhaps not exclusively period pieces. However, it looked just like the photos on the webpage. So if you like what is pictured there, you'll be fine. This is not something that matters to me - I prefer being able to walk to the local bookstore after an amazing breakfast of poached eggs and orange juice. And then I like to go back to my room and read The Middle of the Air by local author and husband of the owner of Kilwin's Kenneth Butcher and wonder if I am in the B&B where the FBI agents stayed.....

What else? Parking was fine. Overflow parking was explained. We were given a key to the house for late night entry. Darla and Diane were friendly, helpful and informative. Social hour was thoughtful and appreciated.

We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for the tub if you love a good, deep soak!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teresaflan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Sadly, we (dear husband and I) were only able to stay one night. But it was a great short stay. We arrived after an afternoon of touring Biltmore. We were greeted with smiling faces, and were very efficiently checked in. Once we laid our stuff in our room, we went downstairs for a few snacks during their "evening social hour". They offered wine and beer (plus an amazing pink lemonade that I loved), and an assortment of cheeses, crackers and fruits. It was fun sitting and chatting with some of the other guests. It was a little chilly to try to utilize the porches, but there was plenty of space inside for socializing. The kitchen area was also stocked with yummy chocolate chip cookies and even a homemade cake. There were teas, a soda machine and coffee always available. Afterwards, we went back to our room for a little bit to get ready for our dinner in Hendersonville. Our friends met us here (they live in town), and we walked to the restaurant in downtown Hendersonville. After dinner we walked back to the inn and said our goodbyes to our friends for the evening. Our room was nicely decorated, and I loved my claw foot tub! The bed slept quite comfortably, and the minimal amount of street traffic did not hinder my sleep at all! I am writing this review as I am getting ready for breakfast and our check out. We have heard amazing things about the breakfast we are about to be treated with, and I'll be sure to update this review after we have enjoyed it!! I will definitely be coming back to this delightful inn!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Bgd916
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed at the Waverly for a few nights while visiting family. There were real positives to the property but negatives too.

First, the pros: The inn is in a great location if you want to spend time in downtown Hendersonville, which we did. You can walk to most anything you’d need and downtown is cute and quaint. There are banks, bars, restaurants and shopping all nearby. As we were visiting family, we only took advantage of the breakfast one morning but both the service and the food were good. We also missed the evening receptions but they looked OK too. Many people would talk to us on our way through, although we weren’t sure who worked there and who were guests—all were friendly though. There are snacks in the kitchen area around the clock and they looked yummy but we didn’t try them. The inn is attractive from the outside and parking was convenient. There are many sitting rooms and a great front porch where you can just relax and unwind. The bed was comfortable.

Now, the cons: It’s a nice old home but much of the décor is tacky. I know that sounds snobby, and we’re really not that way but we were coming off stays at two other B&Bs/Inns that were tastefully done and where we felt that we were living in the period the homes were built. From reading other reviews of the Waverly, it seems that the room you're in probably makes a real difference. Ours felt like a garage sale blew up. There were pieces that were antique along with white wicker shelving circa 1977 K-Mart and some dusty craft fair knick knacks. It was just an odd combination and took any lush or luxurious feel out of it. The main parts of the house are better but similar. It also seemed very dusty, cobwebby. I get that it’s an old house and there are a lot of nooks and crannies to clean but it detracted from the stay. We had a room with the bathroom sink in the bedroom. That’s fine with us but the way our room was done, and the feel overall of the house, made us feel like we were in a boarding house, rather than an inn. It’s on a very busy street and there is traffic noise. It didn’t bother us at all at night and earplugs are provided, however we tried to take a nap one afternoon and ended up listening to the announcer at a nearby high school football game instead. It sounded like a good game! ;)

I’m not trying to be harsh—the people seemed nice and there were many positives, as mentioned before. I think that for the price we just had higher expectations based on our other experiences with that type of property. We didn't realize we'd be there during peak season (fall foliage seekers!) and the price didn’t feel in line with the experience. We paid $200 a night and felt it was more like a $125 a night place. That’s partly also our fault in that we weren’t around enough to indulge in the extras that were provided like the reception and snacks.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend the Ox-Eye Daisy room, although some others seemed nice. You're probabl...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Shannon206
Mpls, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

This was our 4th visit to the Waverly. Everything was fabulous again. Convenient location as it is within walking distance of downtown Hendersonville. A soda machine, k-cup machine and tea were always available. Yummy afternoon treats and a wine social hour on the front porch. Staff was top notice including the owners, Diane, John and Darla. We wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be a bit noisy but earplugs are provided.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I stayed there for a weekend and were treated so kind we can't wait to go back. We loved the gathering on the front porch with wine and cheese. Lovely rooms and convenient to downtown!

Room Tip: Any of them were nice but I liked the 2nd floor, it was nice and convenient.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

1898 Waverly Inn in Hendersonville is a lovely B & B. What a wonderful surprise to find such a lovely Inn. Wonderful room, friendly, warm people, yummy breakfast-This Inn as it all, even cookies, wine and a rose to welcome you in your room. Snacks, cake, cookies, and a variety of drinks are available whenever you choose. Fun cocktail hour on the porch every evening.
Within walking distance to many terrific places to eat.
Breakfast was a special treat, everything is made to order!
We enjoyed our trip to 1898 Waverly Inn and look forward to returning!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

I was raised in the South and the term 'Southern hospitality' was used quite a bit way back when -- but not much since, I think. After staying with John and Diane I'd like to start that trend again. The setting's perfect (Western North Carolina) and they add that old-fashioned feeling that seems to be vanishing elsewhere with rocking chairs and a front-porch get-together and the big breakfasts. When we left, we had the feeling that we weren't staying at someone's house; it was more like we had stayed with friends.

Not related to the inn, but what we found was still very nice, is that we were just a short walk from the shops of Main Street and a short drive from the Blue Ridge Parkway, Biltmore, Lake Lure, and Flat Rock so it never took too long to reach very cool places on a casual drive which, to us, is as relaxing as sleeping in one of their big king beds. Country comfortable, city convenient, and John and Diane were always ready to offer advice on places to visit. We'll be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
Hampton Inn Hendersonville
#4 of 11 in Hendersonville
BEST WESTERN Hendersonville Inn
BEST WESTERN Hendersonville Inn
#3 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to 1898 Waverly Inn? Share your experiences!