“Always fun and adventure!”

Catawba Science Center
Ranked #2 of 10 Fun & Games in Hickory
Hickory, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Always fun and adventure!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We always have a great time at the Catawba Science Center! Our children love the experiments, planetarium, and exhibits. Our favorite is definitely the aquarium! The staff is always friendly and helpful, and they work well with children.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank MamaMac23

NC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“One Nice Little Place !!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I accompany my grandson on his class on field trips to the Science Center. For sure this is no "Discovery Place" but it is one nice little Science Center. Traveling exhibits keep it fresh and entertaining as well as the aquarium section which has a touch tank and fun shark exhibit. There is a planetarium as well. All in all it's a fun place. You may want to check with them for more information on their "current exhibit". The Patrick Beaver Library is next door and is an excellent place for reading a book or two with the kids.

Visited April 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We went to the Catawba Science Center with low expectations, but we were happily surprised with what we found there! Everyone in our group (ages 2-41, including one hard to please teenager) enjoyed their time here. Each room in the center has a different theme with VERY hands-on exhibits. If you want to learn about science and nature, there's lots to learn there! If you just want to play, you can do that, too!
For the youngest in our group, the "race" room that uses balls to learn about potential and kinetic energy was the biggest hit. Our five year olds loved the outdoor play area and the aquarium. The teenager loved the virtual reality room. The adults just loved seeing our kids having so much fun (and learning some stuff without even knowing it!)
I've been to lots of science museums, and this one was more hands-on than most, and I saw some exhibits I'd never seen before.
We made it through in a couple of hours, but could have spent all day if the kids hadn't been ready for a nap.
If you're interested in art, be sure to check out the art museum that is attached. It's always free, and a good enhancement to your day here.

2 Thank luv2travelfromAR
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great place for young kids!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My friend & I took our 3 1/2 year old sons here for a play date. It was a great time. We went on a Wednesday morning. It wasn't crowded & they were able to play with a lot of the exhibits. They loved seeing the fish & mostly playing with all the ball games throughout. It was a great time & you can't beat the price. I highly recommend it.

Visited March 2013
Greenville, North Carolina
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Fun To Explore!”
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

This attraction is to visit. For the price I paid for my family, it is worth it (I paid $26 for a family of four). The tickets were priced at discounts because I am in the military and have two children under age 10. The museum is set up to attract children of all ages- This is especially true for kids between 6-10. There are a lot of fun hands on activities that helps children learn about science. For example, the museum allows people to touch small sharks and sting rays. The best part of the museum is the planetarium. If you have time, go to the planetarium; watch laser show! My only minor complaint is that this museum is small, but I can tell that this museum is growing. Worth checking out, especially on a cold, rainy day.